The Project Begins. 3800s/c

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

The Project Begins. 3800s/c

Post by AkursedX »

Well I got back from BanditBalz's house earlier today with a 40k mile 3800sc.

My plans are finally starting to get moving! I plan on takinf the engine and my 88GT to Darth Fiero sometime in late summer/early fall for the install, but in the meantime:

Pulling the blower, intake, and heads.
-Porting the blower and intake. Heads will get a mild port and the exhaust ports will get polished,
-Compcam lifters
-Intense lightweight pushrods
-LS1 springs
-SI valves
-compcam retainers
-Intense Gen-3 1.9 aluminum roller rockers.
-upgrade the coilpacks and wires probably with MSD
-Modular pulley
-WCF headers.
-ARP head studs
-Full engine gasket replacement

Heads, blower and intake will be getting pulled in a couple days and I will be taking them to detroit with me to do the work. I will take some pics. Shaun, do you mind if I send them to you to post them here?

With these mods, I'm looking at low13's, high 12's. Think that's realistic?
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Awesome.

Def keep coming back to this to check to see how the build is coming.

should be pretty sweet.

I say port those heads out. Dont' just settle for a polish job. Really open up those exh ports. That will help get the old gases out which in turn will fill the chamber with more fresh air and fuel. This will also lower blower temps as it wont' have to work as hard which also means more power. You will be able to run lower boost numbers but still make the same amount of power. Trust me it will be worth it.

Sure just email me the pics. I can give you the links and you can post them up yourself.

Shaun41178@hotmail.com
banditbalz

Post by banditbalz »

Those numbers sound realistic given those mods. Wanna run a real small pulley like a 3" and under and run faster yet? Get yourself a short stack intercooler from Thrasher. I suspect you will be spending more time at L67swap.com

Now don't hate the playah cuz I was expecting those numbers in my 4 speed GT with the stock engine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: The Project Begins. 3800s/c

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

God wrote:-upgrade the coilpacks and wires probably with MSD
Coils don't need upgrading, and MSD's wouldn't be an upgrade.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Well day one is done.

Pulled the exhaust manifolds off switched everything around from the broken TB to the good TB. I can't upload my pics to this comp but, the old TB had this giant ridge in it dividing the TB inlet in half. My new TB does not have this. I'm assuming this is a newer TB??

After pulling the exhaust, I see how badly the exhaust is choked up. Yeah, those exhaust ports will definietly be ported.

Darth Fiero told me I would need an idle pulley from a GTP so I won't have any decklid issues. I also noticed that my Idle pulley was broke. I ended up having to pull it off in 3 pieces. Fortunately I didn't break the timing cover getting it off, that would have really sucked.

Things are moving nicely though. blower intake and heads will be off tomorrow morning. That'll be it for a little bit then while I take all that stuff with me back to Detroit, order parts, and work on what I can from there.

I will have pics some time next week
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

If you want an account on the server to post em up yourself, shoot me an email.
God wrote: I will have pics some time next week
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Ok, haven't updated this in ages.......

Heads will be going to Sheppard00 for the porting and reassembling, got a decent price on it too.

Blower will probably remain unmolested as will the lower intake, unless I get some time back in Buffalo to port them myself.

Now here's a question. What will flow better? WCF headers into a full 2.5" exhaust with high flow cat and flowmaster muffler, or ported stock manifolds into a 2.5" exhaust with high flow cat and flowmaster?

I'm thinking that if I don't get the WCF one's, I will just port the manifolds myself and then get them and the crossover ceramic-coated. If anyone has looked inside a stock l67 manifold, you would see that it's almost as restrictive as a 2 . 8 manifold.

I'm guessing that the exhaust with stock-ported manifolds might flow better than the WCF because of the shorter overall distance. Am I possibly correct in saying so?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Damn, it looks like I priced myself right out of the porting business.

Shep does a good job I think. His flow numbers for his 2.8 heads were somewhat lacking IMO as I have seen some at 220 int at .5 inch lift and Shep was only getting 180 at .6 lift which you will never see anyways.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Damn, it looks like I priced myself right out of the porting business.

Shep does a good job I think. His flow numbers for his Boat Anchor heads were somewhat lacking IMO as I have seen some at 220 int at .5 inch lift and Shep was only getting 180 at .6 lift which you will never see anyways.
lol, what can I say, I'm cheap. Well not quite, I just refuse to go in to debt over a Fiero.

His flow #'s aren't the best I've seen either, but it looks like quality work and the fact that I can get everything done at once will make it much easier for me.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Damn, it looks like I priced myself right out of the porting business.

Shep does a good job I think. His flow numbers for his Boat Anchor heads were somewhat lacking IMO as I have seen some at 220 int at .5 inch lift and Shep was only getting 180 at .6 lift which you will never see anyways.
Have you had heads you've ported on a flow bench? How good do you get them?

Money spent on cylinder heads is almost never wasted.