Replacement Muffler for V6

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Replacement Muffler for V6

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

My Formula needs (has needed) a new muffler. The auto part stores in the area range from "Can get everything but the muffler" to "Don't have a listing for Fiero".

What muffler are drop-in replacement for a stock V6 muffler? I don't mind a mild performance sound, but I don't want it very loud.

The muffler from my '87 GT is 12" L x 11" W x 4.5" D (shell dimensions). I haven't crawled under the Formula to measure yet.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

Our mufflers are stainless steel, so you probably have one thats exploded from a backfire right? Just pound it back into shape and weld it up. you could even cut it open, repair, and put it back. Its lasted 20+ years and its got plenty left to go.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I now I could do that, but that's too much like work. I was hoping to find something that I could buy for $50 and hand over to the local muffler shop in the morning, then pick the car up that afternoon.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

why cant the muffler shop guy fix it?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Because I haven't asked him yet.
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

I thought Walker made a replacement muffler for the Fiero. Did you look at any Walker dealers?
coinage

Post by coinage »

i have a stocker in my basement... not sure where you are located
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

derangedsheep wrote:I thought Walker made a replacement muffler for the Fiero. Did you look at any Walker dealers?
The Walker muffler went ballistic in price around here last year. I was buying just the muffler for 40 bux Canuk, and since last year all I can get from Walker is their "cat-back" and that costs 250.00 now.

I never did like the Walker muffler, it really tones down the exhaust note, it has to be pretty restrictive compared to the stockers.

Will, I replaced my muffler with one that had cleaner pipes, the muffler body was cracked, most likely from a backfire. I welded a steel sheet around the whole body, welding the sides at the seams where the muffler is rolled together. Only took about an hour to cut the sheet to size and weld it on, a shop shouldn't charge alot to do that.

Just line it up straight with an end at the top, and weld up the sides as you form it, then overlap and weld it shut.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

exactly, the reason nobody sells replacement mufflers for cheap, is that the fiero muffler dosent need to be replaced unless you explode it.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

p8ntman442 wrote:...... unless you explode it.
Explode it, LOL!
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
lucky

Post by lucky »

Basic style of Fiero muffler is the camaro/firebird crossflow, most aftermarket manufacturers make them, Dynomax, Thrush, Flowmaster, etc. Trick is finding a part # that doesn't have 3" pipes. I'm pretty sure dynomax has a 2 1/4" in/out crossflow. I'll try to remember to take a look at a catalog at work monday.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

the Flowmaster 80 muffler works great in a Fiero (4cyl or 6cyl) and sounds pretty good as well. I have a good used one that I could sell you if you're at all interested.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Do you mean one of the ones that's 3" longer than the Fiero muffler? Like #42583 here: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/80_series.html

How much are you thinking? Is your stainless, aluminized or galvanized?
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

I'll get a pic of it tonight
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Here you go: Nothing special, but it sounds really good on both the stock 4 cyl and stock 6 cyl.

I could cut off the long part that goes towards the cat and send everything else in a box if you are interested in it. I believe it is 3" in and 2, or 2.25" out.

The muffler itself is in great shape, it's just that the welds are pretty rusty, obviously.