Building a good crankcase ventilation system?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Indy

Building a good crankcase ventilation system?

Post by Indy »

I've been reading some various tech articles on some different crankcase evac systems. Most are focused on naturally aspirated drag V8's, though, and I need a bit more perspective.

I was wondering what a good vacuum system could look like for a high-boost, street driven 4cyl. The thought of a vacuum pump has been running in the back of my mind for quite a while, but I'm not sure that it's worth it.

Nate
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

I bought a Moroso crankcase evac kit. I know GN guys use them with good results so ill run one and see how it goes.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Endyn's modified Moroso is very popular:

http://www.theoldone.com/components/breather
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

yea I was going to say something what howard posted.

Of course SUmmit sells all the stuff too. Can prob find a deal there or hell check ebay.

quit worrying about all the accesories that your engine will need and just get the darn thing in. You can buy all that other stuff later. Right now you are looking at spending money that brings the install and running of you engine no closer to reality. Get the major stuff first and get it installed. Then worry about those toys.

just my opinion
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

That fancy breather unit is nice.

But thats not the same idea as the Moroso crankcase Evac kit which uses weld in bungs into the Exhaust to "suck" out the fumes from the crankcase through their valve cover air/oil baffle / seperator...

...Ill post a link

http://store.summitracing.com/default.a ... search.asp

Thats what i have but the two breathers are piped to a T then down to the downpipe.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

This is one of those areas that I am kinda "dumb" on. Can someone explain to me the advantages of having one of these upgraded systems?
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

CLick on the link I posted.
God wrote:This is one of those areas that I am kinda "dumb" on. Can someone explain to me the advantages of having one of these upgraded systems?
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Ahh ok, that makes sense now. I never really though of that being an issue since I thought that pressure created by one cylinder moving down would be counterracted by another moving up, but I guess at high rpm's, air just doesn't move fast enough....
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
whipped

Post by whipped »

God wrote:I never really though of that being an issue since I thought that pressure created by one cylinder moving down would be counterracted by another moving up
That's what I think. Is it more because of blowby? Or just slow air?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

God wrote:I never really though of that being an issue since I thought that pressure created by one cylinder moving down would be counterracted by another moving up, but I guess at high rpm's, air just doesn't move fast enough....
Bay to bay breathing is a big issue.
The LS1 originally had bay to bay breathing windows machined into the block. The LS6 block had those windows cast in place.
The Northstar has bay-to-bay breathing windows machined in place (block is die cast rather than sand cast).
The new supercharged Northstar has a closed deck sand cast block with the breathing windows cast in place with radiused edges. Supposedly just going to radiused edges gained them a few ponies.
Of course these engines have very robust bottom end structures that come down almost to the level of the oil in the crank case and almost seal one bay off from the next.

With high crank case pressure, the engine is fighting pressure inside the crank case to pull the piston down on the intake stroke. The pressure is also obviously a parasitic loss on the power stroke.

Despite the extra parasitic loss of running the pumps, engines ALWAYS pick up horsepower from going to a dry sump system.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

donk_316 wrote:That fancy breather unit is nice.

But thats not the same idea as the Moroso crankcase Evac kit which uses weld in bungs into the Exhaust to "suck" out the fumes from the crankcase through their valve cover air/oil baffle / seperator...

...Ill post a link

http://store.summitracing.com/default.a ... search.asp

Thats what i have but the two breathers are piped to a T then down to the downpipe.
I would imagine putting a catch can between the breathers and the exhaust would be a good idea to avoid blowing a lot of smoke
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Kohburn wrote: I would imagine putting a catch can between the breathers and the exhaust would be a good idea to avoid blowing a lot of smoke
lol!

Dude,
They dont suck oil out past the valve covers... its like any other valve cover /pcv system with baffles either built into the valve itself or on the inside of the valve cover.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

LOL ass :la:

you know how many times i've seen oil get past the shitty baffles? if baffles worked there would be no need for a catchcan

edit to add: funny the fiero valve covers have internal baffles and they had a recall to move the breather pipe past the filter so it would stop soaking the filter in oil.. hmm whats that you say? the baffles don't allow oil past? hmm odd. :fart:
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

IF you knew ANYTHING....

The little bit of oil that does get sucked in is to lubricate the muffler bearings.

Dummy.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

donk_316 wrote:IF you knew ANYTHING....

The little bit of oil that does get sucked in is to lubricate the muffler bearings.

Dummy.
shit I forgot about the muffler bearing - if those go out they'll blow up and the shards will go through the firewall and kill you.. someone should make scatter sheilds for those muffler bearings.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Kohburn wrote:.. someone should make scatter sheilds for those muffler bearings.
Already thought of that. I finally get to put all those old Pepsi cans to good use. :thumbleft: