Where to buy springs?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Steve25

Where to buy springs?

Post by Steve25 »

The Koni's are ordered, actually on back order at SHOX.COM, I figure I'll get them around the 15th. So now the question is springs. I'd like to lower an inch and I like to drive some but not racing or on a track, just twisty roads, on and off ramps, corners, that kind of thing. So I'm thinking that coilovers might be overkill and that progressive rate springs about an inch lower in the stock position should do the trick.

The shocks\struts now are completely toast. Probably original equipment. Other than that the suspension is sound, ball joints have been replaced.

Future improvement plans are to upgrade to poly wherever possible, upgrade to 225/45/17 tires and 17 X 7" wheels and maybe up the sway bars.

I'd appreciate any comments or questions and suggestions also where to buy springs. I've looked at the ones listed at The fiero store and they seem to fit the bill but I am a bit concerned because I don't know who makes them.

Thanks

Steve@88GT.com
blkcofy

Post by blkcofy »

I bought a similar setup for my LS4 swap that Sinister Performance is doing for me. I have the Koni shocks and struts, and I got my springs and coilovers at West Coast Fiero. Based on all the research I did, these were the best performance/price for what I was looking for...agressive street driving and some light track time.

Koni Shocks and Struts from The Fiero Store

400lb springs and coilovers from West Coast Fiero
Steve25

Post by Steve25 »

I talked to the fiero store today. I am a litle disappointed at what they offer for springs for the 88 GT. They are lowering springs like I want but the fronts are fixed rate which doesn't do it for me, 243 lbs, the rears are at least progressive but they are only 180 to 230 lbs. I really want heavier. WCF had no stock replacement offering but they do have the progessive front and coilover rear. Maybe I'm back to that.
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

summitracing.com has a ton of different springs. different rates and heights etc... pretty cheap too. I am using a set of the 14" QA1 275lb springs on the rear of my RX7
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

It'ts tough to keep specific and not sought after spring rates ready to go on the shelf. When I was at WCF, minimum order from the manufacturer was 10 sets, now to order 10 sets of a specific spring rate that may or may not sell over a long period of time is a rather large chunk of change to have as overhead.

Maybe some sort of group buy? Maybe meet WCF half way and get 5 orders?

Just kinda thinking out loud, like I normally do :)
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
Steve25

Post by Steve25 »

The group order plan works for me. Unfortunately my shock\struts are completely toast so I need to do something pretty much now. Let me know.
Steve25

Post by Steve25 »

[quote="blkcofy"]I bought a similar setup for my LS4 swap that Sinister Performance is doing for me. I have the Koni shocks and struts, and I got my springs and coilovers at West Coast Fiero. Based on all the research I did, these were the best performance/price for what I was looking for...agressive street driving and some light track time.

Well it looks like you have the plan. This looks like, as you said, the best price/equipment for agressive streeting.Thanks
Steve25

Post by Steve25 »

The springs are ordered. I went with the kit blkcofy posted with 350# springs. Also got the urethane kit for front and rear. Should help things along.

Thank for the input y'all.

What's next?

Suggestions?
Last edited by Steve25 on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

Thats odd, WCF has 350lb springs on hand. Did they say they didn't have them?
Steve25

Post by Steve25 »

What I mean is the I have ordered the set from WCF.

Has anyone figured out which urethane spring isolators will fit?
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
blkcofy

Post by blkcofy »

Boscolingus wrote:Thats odd, WCF has 350lb springs on hand. Did they say they didn't have them?
As a former WCF guy. Can you provide any insight on how wide of a tire I can fit in the rear w/ the rear coilover kit? I've heard that with the right offset, I should be able to go as wide as 265/40 on 18" wheels. The issue is that I can't get anyone to tell me the right offset. I'm looking at 38 os wheels. I've asked WCF and have yet to get a response. I could call, but I like getting things in writing, as folks typically think about it and verify it that they're right vs. opinions that I may get via phone.
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

The best answer is going to be from Chris West, email is fine if you can stand waiting a bit, phone is the best - 310-305-4111.
Steve25

Post by Steve25 »

The Konis are on, the springs are on, the urethane bushings are in. I asked for 350# springs but opened the box to find 400#, at least the front, the rears weren't marked.

The ride is stiff, I mean STIFF, I mean REALLY STIFF. Nice and stiff. Man does it corner!!!! I drove over a dime on the way to work this morning, it was heads up, 1992. Man what a ride.

Thank for all the input, especially blkcofy to go with the WCF springs and coilovers. Nice stuff. :thumbleft:
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com