88 spindle/Corvette hub

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Steve25

88 spindle/Corvette hub

Post by Steve25 »

Has anyone tried to use a Corvette hub with an 88 spindle? That would solve the 88 Fiero hub obsolesence problem and be a conversion to Corvette bolt pattern for wheels and rotors.

If not, does anyone have a "donor" spindle that they will send to me (I'll pay shipping) to use for an attempt?
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

IIRC, the Corvette hub shoulder and bolt circle diameter are much larger than those of the '88 hub. You'd have to do extensive machine work to the knuckle to get the Corvette unit to fit and you will probably weaken the casting too much to remain serviceable.
Steve25

Post by Steve25 »

Some other GM hub? Camaro?
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Been looking into this. No solutions found yet.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Neither of you is the first to look into this.

The '88 Fiero hub has a very small offset between the hub mounting surface and the wheel mounting surface. Changing it would require a good bit of rework to be done to the brake interface, among other things. It also has a small mounting footprint and pilot shoulder similar to that of other FWD hubs.

4th Gen F-body and 4th Gen Corvette bearings cartridges have a pretty large offset and a 4 bolt pattern. C5 bearings have a 3 bolt pattern but are significantly larger than '88 Fiero bearings (maybe because they're actually built for abuse). I have a bunch of hub cartridge measurements around here somewhere...
Steve25

Post by Steve25 »

I was hoping that I was not, that someone had worked it out. Did you come up with a substitute? I'm looking to change calipers and go to 12" rotors so I'd need a bracket to relocate the calipers anyway. I would like to have the Corvette lug spacing to make rotor swaps a straight on deal rather than having to bore them for the 5 x 100.

I suppose Wilwood hats and rotors would solve that but there is still the question of hubs. Have y'all used RD hubs with satisfactory results?
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I would not recommend them for performance driving. I've heard stories on the Fiero Racing List at Yahoo Groups of those hubs failing within a matter of LAPS of being new.

I've heard speculation of the grease not being rated for a high enough termperature, but I haven't done any analysis myself.

At least one person claims to have repacked an '88 front bearing and tack welded the backing ring on instead of just pressing it. He said that his hubs done that way have far outlived stock ones.