AMT - Automated Manual Transmission

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Pyrthian wrote:won't that be cute - dail-a-gear....yup - 5 position - 4 forward, 1 reverse - oops, make that 6 - need neutral.
hey, it works for my riding mower :bootyshake:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Pyrthian wrote:well, I'm gonna stick with hydraulic clutch & solenoid shifting. gonna scavange some auto door locks, see if they got the throw for the shifting. I guess step one will be eliminating the shift cables, and making "push button" shifting. each push will need to activate a 2-step shift, step one being shift to netutral, step two being shifting into selected gear. or maybe, making it somewhat smart, being from 1 to 2, you dont need to goto neutral, and from 3 to 4 you dont need it either. ok: "if (new gear is on same selector set as current gear) then (go straight to new gear) else (go neutral first : then go to new gear)"....so much for simple push button.....well, off to the pile of never done ideas this goes....looking forward to my next drunken day at the park.....
If I were you, I'd look into building a ratcheting mechanism for each solenoid. That way you don't have to worry about limiting travel to get into, but not beyond, the neutral gate when moving the selector out of a given gear. 1-2, 3-4 and corresponding downshifts would obviously require two pumps of the shift solenoid, but that's code and is therefore simpler to implement than positional feedback. The same goes for traversing among the shift gates with the select solenoid.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

the neutral position is pretty wide. the reverse position is the one I worry about the most. its a very small jump from the 1-2 select to the R select.