Poly vs. Cradle Mounts

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Which mount?

Poly
29%
Aluminum
71%
Rubber
No votes

Total votes: 17

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Boscolingus wrote:To me a pre-88 cradle loaded up with Delrin/AL bushings on the pivot points far out weighs the butchering needed for an 88 cradle install.
'88 geometry IS way better.

It's not butchering anything. Chris West's car in this thread is butchered a lot worse ( http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=12745 ).

When it's done right, there's a ~1.5" hole holesawed in the top of each strut tower and the strut top protrudes through it. With the HMS adapters, it still uses the stock early mount holes.
nfswift

Post by nfswift »

Whats the advantage of swapping an 88 cradle VS simply doing full suspension/mount swap and swaybar add on a pre 88 though...?
Metallic Silver 1986 SE
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

nfswift wrote:Whats the advantage of swapping an 88 cradle VS simply doing full suspension/mount swap and swaybar add on a pre 88 though...?
putting in a good suspension design versus covering a poor one with bandaids

granted the pre-88 can handle very well when its set up stiff with good shocks. but the 88 can ride smooth and handle well at the same time.
nfswift

Post by nfswift »

So the cradle itself can make a difference over new shock/springs etc. on a pre 88, and an 88 cradle with similar new parts is even better again?

For some reason I thought there was a point where the 88 cradle became redundant because of all the new parts added to the old cradle but apparently I'm wrong.

Good thing I don't need extreme cornering ability.
Metallic Silver 1986 SE
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Boscolingus wrote:To me a pre-88 cradle loaded up with Delrin/AL bushings on the pivot points far out weighs the butchering needed for an 88 cradle install.

It's not butchering anything. Chris West's car in this thread is butchered a lot worse ( http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=12745 ).

The butchering had nothing to do with swapping in a craddle - that was done for clearance of a 4.0 + NSX 5 speed
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Boscolingus wrote:

The butchering had nothing to do with swapping in a craddle - that was done for clearance of a 4.0 + NSX 5 speed
Not buying it.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Boscolingus wrote:

Not buying it.
Dude it has a stock 86 cradle. The left frame rail was clearanced for the tranny (impossible to fit otherwise) and the right strut tower was clearanced so the motor could be shoved as far over to the right as possible so the left side axle is not too short. The left strut tower was trimmed for symmetry. There will be plates welded in and smoothed over so the strut towers don't have holes in them.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I understand what's involved in installing the NSX trans.

Cutting the left strut tower is not necessary. I don't think it's even of any aesthetic benefit.

Having done a Northstar Fiero install, I don't see why cutting the other strut tower that much would be necessary.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I understand what's involved in installing the NSX trans.

Cutting the left strut tower is not necessary. I don't think it's even of any aesthetic benefit.

Having done a Northstar Fiero install, I don't see why cutting the other strut tower that much would be necessary.
As I said above: the right strut tower was clearanced so the motor could be shoved as far over to the right as far possible so the left side axle is not too short. It wasn't required on your swap because you did not use an NSX transmission.
You installed your Northstar with a Getrag which has a narrower diff and the diff housing shoved more to the right. The left side axle is an ok length with the engine in a position that has enough clearance. The NSX has a wide diff and the diff housing is moved to the left more so the axle ends up being very short unless you move the drivetrain over to the right a lot. Also on the NSX the transmission is closer to the center of the car than the Fiero's transmission is stock.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Ahh...
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

yeah, what Steve said... :)
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe