88 V6 oil pan removal??

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

fierogt28

88 V6 oil pan removal??

Post by fierogt28 »

On my old 86 GT removing the oil pan was impossible unless the engine was jacked or lifted about 2 inches for clearance to pull it out because of the engine mount. As a reference, is this the same for the 88 V6 models??

I don't have a 88 shop manual on hand, but would like to know if GM also improved (so the oil pan could be removed without all this hassle) this when the design was reworked or changed for the 88 mount. Anotherwords, the pan can be slipped out once the pan bolts are removed.

Thanks,

fierogt28
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you will need to raise the motor somehow to get the oil pan out.
fierogt28

Post by fierogt28 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:you will need to raise the motor somehow to get the oil pan out.
Ahhh, OK...I thought the 88 was different.

Thanks,

fierogt28
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:you will need to raise the motor somehow to get the oil pan out.
Though the engine does have to be raised, it isn't very much. As soon as you get the weight off the mounts, it can come out. However you will need to remove the engine mount and its U-bracket, which is why the engine needs to be lifted a bit, mainly just supported. That bracket/mount is a real pain in the ass to get out though, but it is not impossible.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
fierogt28

Post by fierogt28 »

Technically, I just wanted to know if the other V6 fieros was the same as the 88's.

Were fine now...

Thanks,

fierogt28
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

Aaron wrote:
Though the engine does have to be raised, it isn't very much. As soon as you get the weight off the mounts, it can come out. However you will need to remove the engine mount and its U-bracket, which is why the engine needs to be lifted a bit, mainly just supported. That bracket/mount is a real pain in the ass to get out though, but it is not impossible.

hypothetically speaking.....say you have a plasma cutter laying around and you trim that mount a little bit. think the pan will come out after that?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I do have a plasma cutter laying around. You'd need to trim the mount completely off.

It wouldn't work. Or it would, but the mount wouldn't be left.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.