Other Transmissions

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Atilla the Fun

Other Transmissions

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I've been doing research on what else we could use when a 4T80E would be called for. We have possibilities! First, the Dodge Caliber SRT-4 uses the Getrag 6MTT425. Rated for 425 NM TQ, (someone please convert this to ft-lbs) It is one of 4 Getrag offerings. I googled Getrag.com...
They have a 5 speed that's rated 350 NM, a six-speed rated 450 NM, and a six speed rated 400 NM. Plus they have sharp pics, and all 4 are cable-shift.
Dodge themselves built an SRT-4 that ran an 11.83 at 123 on slicks, in 70 degree F weather, but not at full street weight. How many of us are that fast? The Neon SRT-4 used the New Venture Gear T-850, and for '04 it got a Quaife! It used equal-length halfshafts, and a high-capacity Sachs performance clutch. It came from european Turbodiesel minivans.
The Mitsu Evo 9 has probably the strongest 6-speed we could adapt, as they have put it behind as much as 363 ft-lbs torque, but I couldn't pull up New Venture Gear's website for more info.The car did use a limited slip of some sort in the front diff, so we're all set. The car itself had a short run, and the Evo 10 uses an exotic dual clutch deal.
Lastly for now, Nissan's 3.5L makes 268 ft-lbs, and they attached it to both 5 and 6 speed manuals. The 5 speed in '02-04 Altimas, and the 6 speed in '02-up Maximas and '05-up Altimas.
Anyone have ratios for any of these? Anyone want to pioneer a conversion for us?
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

NSX tranny
VR6 Tranny.

It would be awesome to have a 400Hp car with a Shitty Fiero chassis!!

KICK ASS!
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

VR6 tranny is an interesting option. There are readily available limited slip units from multiple manufacturers for those too. I would stay away from the 02J boxes though. They have small teeth on the syncros which tend to wear down, second will start grinding, and eventually it wont slide on the hub and you cant get into first. An 02A would be a good choice though. 02M (6 speed) would also be worth looking into.

I work at a VW shop and our specialty is transmissions (we partnered with G-Force for our own gear sets). If you guys want to know anything about the VR trans, my boss knows all about them so I can ask him.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

they make dogbox gearsets for the vr tranny?
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Talk the Dave (BMW Guru) hes got a VR6 fiero using a Jetta 5speed.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

VR6?!? okay, derangedsheep, what's the torque capacity? What are ALL the gear ratios available? I want an effective 2.1:1 in top gear. Aaron could use that also. Maybe 2.2:1 if I get a bigger camshaft. Aaron wants every shift to drop him from 7000 rpm to 4500, and those splits would work for me and most everyone else.
I once drove a non-turbo 95 Eclipse that turned 1800 rpm @ 65 mph. This is important, because my '78 Camaro 5.7L got 26 mpg this way, tho everyone calls me a liar. I had a 3.08:1 axle and a 700R4 swapped in.
As the Nissan trans comes from a relatively large displacement engine, it should have very low rpm at interstate speeds. Presumably less than any trans for any 4-cylinder. I'm gonna check around about that.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

FWD Volvo guys are running 700 hp turbo 5-cyl engines with the stock M56H 5-speed besides a quaife diff. The stock diff is the weak point.
I forget how much torque, but they're turbo motors and not spinning them too high, so its a lot.
I'm currently looking for one for my car.. either going to do the whole T5 swap, or put in an adapter plate and use it with my DOHC.
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

We can get aluminum adapter plates made for pretty much any motor. Let me know what you would want to bolt up to and I can try to get an estimate.
Kohburn wrote:they make dogbox gearsets for the vr tranny?
No dogbox gears. Sorry. But they are in the works. Not sure on an ETA tho.

Atilla the Fun wrote:VR6?!? okay, derangedsheep, what's the torque capacity? What are ALL the gear ratios available? I want an effective 2.1:1 in top gear. Aaron could use that also. Maybe 2.2:1 if I get a bigger camshaft. Aaron wants every shift to drop him from 7000 rpm to 4500, and those splits would work for me and most everyone else.
Torque capacity is tough. There are guys running 700+ WHP on a stock gearbox but there are other guys running 160 WHP who are blowing stuff up. It all depends on how you treat it really. But my boss said VW says their gearboxes, stock, will hold up to around 230ft.-lbs.

As far as ratios. You can check our website here: http://www.aptuning.com/products.php?ca ... tion=gears
That's what we have available.

5th gear is available as .72, .76, and .84. There are also some european gears that we can get that are higher or lower, depending what you want.

Ring and pinion is available from 3.389 to 4.235. There are also some higher and lower ratios from some european stuff too.
coinage

Post by coinage »

derangedsheep wrote:We can get aluminum adapter plates made for pretty much any motor. Let me know what you would want to bolt up to and I can try to get an estimate.
Kohburn wrote:they make dogbox gearsets for the vr tranny?
No dogbox gears. Sorry. But they are in the works. Not sure on an ETA tho.

Atilla the Fun wrote:VR6?!? okay, derangedsheep, what's the torque capacity? What are ALL the gear ratios available? I want an effective 2.1:1 in top gear. Aaron could use that also. Maybe 2.2:1 if I get a bigger camshaft. Aaron wants every shift to drop him from 7000 rpm to 4500, and those splits would work for me and most everyone else.
Torque capacity is tough. There are guys running 700+ WHP on a stock gearbox but there are other guys running 160 WHP who are blowing stuff up. It all depends on how you treat it really. But my boss said VW says their gearboxes, stock, will hold up to around 230ft.-lbs.

As far as ratios. You can check our website here: http://www.aptuning.com/products.php?ca ... tion=gears
That's what we have available.

5th gear is available as .72, .76, and .84. There are also some european gears that we can get that are higher or lower, depending what you want.

Ring and pinion is available from 3.389 to 4.235. There are also some higher and lower ratios from some european stuff too.
Off topic...but you work at APTuning? want to hook me up for some stuff for my girls 03 A41.8TQM, already a stage 1+ with a 3" test pipe. You guys have any used performance stuff around? Like lowering springs/struts
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Gotta love the option of those gear ratios, but the prices! Cheaper to build more power and suffer the 4T80E. Still, I for one am glad to know what's possible, in case my fortunes improve.
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

coinage wrote: Off topic...but you work at APTuning? want to hook me up for some stuff for my girls 03 A41.8TQM, already a stage 1+ with a 3" test pipe. You guys have any used performance stuff around? Like lowering springs/struts
I can see if we have any used stuff we probably dont have too much if any used stuff for the B6. But anyway if you get a chance on Monday give me a call (717.272.0916 ask for Steve), I'll be in from 10 to 5. Let me know what youre looking for and I can check for you.

Atilla the Fun wrote:Gotta love the option of those gear ratios, but the prices! Cheaper to build more power and suffer the 4T80E. Still, I for one am glad to know what's possible, in case my fortunes improve.
Yeah theyre not cheap thats why I dont have a set in my car, haha. I can still check on adaptor plates and stuff if you want. An 02A box with a LSD and a decent clutch would hold pretty good power. You could probably put one on a 3.4TDC and be good.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Seems like everyone on here is set on boosted V6s, except I'm going V8, and I do my own fabrication.
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

What pisses me off is the axle bullcrap you have to go through with custom transmissions.

As "bulletproof" axle companies say they can make something, its about as valid a statement as V8Archie would make about the strength of an isuzu trans.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Atilla the Fun wrote:Gotta love the option of those gear ratios, but the prices!
That's not bad for fully aftermarket gears, actually...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

darkhorizon wrote:As "bulletproof" axle companies say they can make something, its about as valid a statement as V8Archie would make about the strength of an isuzu trans.
All it takes is money, man.

There are some axle flanges made for the 4T65E-HD (Jon Lagler used some on the turbo Brodix build mentioned elsewhere on this site) that could probably be adapted to any Fiero transmission. After that, use Porsche 930 CV's at the inner end, production GM pieces at the outer end and get shafts made up with off the shelf splines and custom lengths.