How do you remove the 3800 crank pulley?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Red

How do you remove the 3800 crank pulley?

Post by Red »

How do you remove the fucking pulley from the engine? I got the huge bolt that holds the pulley to the crankshaft out, but the fucking pulley won't come off. There are NO threaded holes to screw the pulley puller bolts into. What gives on this? I'm at wit's end with this piece of shit.
Red

Post by Red »

The pulley has 3 slots that go into it. And there are smaller holes in those 3 slots, but the holes don't appear to be threaded. How are you supposed to remove the pulley if you can't attach anything to it? Has no one else had trouble with this? There's almost no information on how do this on the internet. WTF.
Red

Post by Red »

It's a series II 3800 supercharged, if it matters.
Billybo455

Post by Billybo455 »

pulley puller. it's a pressed on deal.
my fiero is faster then yours. the end. except you fieroX :P
Red

Post by Red »

no shit. how do you attach the pulley puller to the pulley? there are no threaded holes to screw the bolts into.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Yes there are holes. They are in the ovals. You can't see the threaded section. You need long bolts to reach the threads. The bolts that come with most pullers won't work. You will need atleast 3" long bolts. I believe the holes are actually metric thread but most people will use 1/4" fine thread and they work just fine. Just like any pulley removal procedure - you MUST screw each bolt in there evenly all around. Do like 4 turns each on each of them till they are pretty good and tight. Leave some space between the puller and the pulley as well. Once all 3 bolts are in - tighten the middle bolt so that it will push on the inside of the crank, and crank at it to pull the pulley off. This is done with EASE on an impact air tool. I don't known how you will do - doing it by hand, good luck cause you'll have a hard time. -Eric B

You should put a socket in the crank pulley to take up some slack and so that you don't damage the threads in the crank. If you let the center bolt just press up against those threads, it may be a pita to start the new crank bolt. (Don't reuse the crank bolt)

Red

Post by Red »

1/4" fine worked perfectly! No impact needed on the puller. Just a few easy ratchet turns and it came off. Thanks Jinxmutt!

BEGIN RANT ABOUT GM:
Why on God's great earth did GM have to use some odd-ball size for this pulley? They couldn't just use normal size holes that work with the normal bolts that come with EVERY PULLEY PULLER EVER MADE? Why can't it just be normal off the shelf stuff? Instead of this odd ball crap that you have to chase all over hell and gone for. It's exactly stuff like this that makes me never want to buy another GM car.

While I'm ranting, it took GM until this past month to realize that American's can't (or won't) buy SUVs any more?? The writing has been on the wall for YEARS. I've been asking myself for years why GM doesn't make a QUALITY small, economical car. I'm not talking about shit box Aveos or Cobalts or something like that. I'm talking about something that's well made and will hold up like a Civic or Corolla. Is GM really that stupid? It's no wonder they're in financial difficulty. They clearly have no foresight.
Billybo455

Post by Billybo455 »

if you couldn't figure it out you shouldn't be working on it.
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

I agree, people have been taking 3800 crank pulley off before time began with no problems.
1988 Pontiac Fiero

Ecotec swap taking much too long...
Red

Post by Red »

Oh, so you've both taken this pulley off before, eh? You know exactly the issue with the odd ball bolt size, and the fact that you can't readily get the correct puller/bolts for this?

I'm sure you're both SAE certified mechanics and have never run into any sort of problem.

You two can go fuck yourselves, and your terrible attitude. Be sure to hold your nose up a little higher when you're walking around from now on.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

They were born with the knowledge on how to remove that pulley :thumbleft:

GM does like to dick around with thread and bolts sizes.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Billybo455 wrote:if you couldn't figure it out you shouldn't be working on it.
Red wrote:Oh, so you've both taken this pulley off before, eh? You know exactly the issue with the odd ball bolt size, and the fact that you can't readily get the correct puller/bolts for this?

I'm sure you're both SAE certified mechanics and have never run into any sort of problem.

You two can go fuck yourselves, and your terrible attitude. Be sure to hold your nose up a little higher when you're walking around from now on.
[moderator] Chill out, gents. [/moderator]
Billybo455

Post by Billybo455 »

actually, yes i have removed that pulley a few times.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

hey, at least you had threads. Try the pulley on a truck 5.3.
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

oh i was just throwing you shit, no hard feelings
1988 Pontiac Fiero

Ecotec swap taking much too long...