Exhaust T splitter

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

whipped

Post by whipped »

If you don't care about flow, you could cut an H pipe in half...

I tried searching for that, but kept getting diesel exhaust stuff. But maybe that will help you:

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=1670
FormulaGT

Post by FormulaGT »

Yep, diesel stuff - and nothing smaller than 4". :sigh:

Looks like I just make one.

I can honestly say that I had no doubt this would be a common exhaust piece that many suppliers would stock. Guess not.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

just make it - i'm sure you've spent more time looking for it than it would take for me to cut up a j-bend or u-bend and weld it back together.
lucky

Post by lucky »

I completely forgot about this. Sorry wasn't able to find anything.
FormulaGT

Post by FormulaGT »

Found one for $49 shipped.

Now aint that fuckin cheap!!! Good deal.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Please explain to me why you want to dump a pair of threes into a single three. Or vice-versa. If you need the flow of dual threes, which I doubt in a Fiero, then they should dump into a four. If, on the other hand, a single three is adequate, as it should be, then it should be fed from dual two-fives at the largest. Same goes if the three is the feed.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

He is building a turbo car, I think a 2.8l IIRC. In which case this only has 2 possible uses. Either a Y from both banks to feed the turbo, in which case 3" is beyond excessive and will kill his spool time. Or, a Y after the turbo so that he has dual outlets to the bumper, in which case I'd ask where's the muffler? My muffler is serving as my Y, so that I have 2 outlets out of the bumper. I have the single 3" downpipe into the muffler, then dual 3" outlets. I would have used 2.5, but I had some extra 3" pipes laying around.

If this is the case, and he is just using it so he has two outlets, then going from a single 3 to dual 3s is fine, and won't have an impact on performance. Dual 2.5s would be cheaper, and weigh less, but his situation could be like mine, so who knows.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
FormulaGT

Post by FormulaGT »

This is the old tiny 2 1/4" ID exhaust. You can see the old Y inbetween the glasspacks. It runs straight up following the trunk wall (this is where the cat is), then turns left to meet the turbo.

I am going to duplicate this setup, only using a 2.5" DP, delete the cat completely, and run into the 3" T and 3" glasspacks.

The reason I chose 3" instead of just continuing the 2.5 is because of cost. Believe it or not, it is cheaper to purchase 12" long 3" glasspacks versus 12" long 2.5", and I know the 3" can do nothing but help anyhow.

Only problem is, I cannot use the old tips, they are just to small. New ones are going to kill me, at 130 bucks a pair.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

thanks. my thinking was similar to Aaron's. I'm not looking to argue, but I want to point out that the more costly dual 2.5 setup should theoretically be quieter. But as you are running glasspacks, I guess that's not important.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Ok I see where your logic is, and it makes sense.

Make sure the glasspacks are cheap enough to still come out ahead, even after buying the 3" mandrel bends to the tips, because the 3" piping costs more.

Isn't your car loud enough as it is? I'd suspect with such a lack of exhaust that it is. Mine is on the edge of being too loud for me, and I have an inline spiral muffler, and a full size case muffler. So I guess if you want it loud, go for it. But I'd personally redesign it to use a standard case muffler as well as another inline, just to tone it down.

I like the N* tips, but they are small. I used them on my maroon DOHC car. Mercedes used ovals much the same on their AMG cars, except they were fucking huge. You can find pretty cheap knockoffs on eBay. I think mine were like $90 shipped for the pair, but I ended up getting them for free since they had one side twisted a bit and refused to fix it. So I had to fix it myself. I know the left side isn't level, that's my fault and I'll be fixing it soon enough.

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Aaron, I don't know how you'd fit it, but for your car I would suggest a Borla. No, they aren't cheap, but you want flow and sound without going deaf or alerting every cop within 5 miles, right? I wouldn't use a "turbo" muffler, theirs aren't that much better than anyone else's. But the Borla straight through is quieter and better flowing than any other that I've been able to compare.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Atilla the Fun wrote:Aaron, I don't know how you'd fit it, but for your car I would suggest a Borla. No, they aren't cheap, but you want flow and sound without going deaf or alerting every cop within 5 miles, right? I wouldn't use a "turbo" muffler, theirs aren't that much better than anyone else's. But the Borla straight through is quieter and better flowing than any other that I've been able to compare.
I used a Spintech muffler. It is not a straight through, but nor is it chambered. Hard to explain, but it has a number of swirls in the case that cause the exhaust to spin. It is by far the best muffler I've ever heard on a 60* V6. Naturally, the 60s don't sound that great, but this muffler really smoothed the 3.4 out, gave it a very exotic tone. The turbo causes my car to have a bit more recognizable thump thump thump at idle like a SBC, but it sounds great once going. I do like the Borlas though, heard them on a 3.4, and it was nice at idle, but once you revved it, it got raspy. You can kinda see the muffler in this pic, from my maroon car. The black turbo has the same basic exhaust, but with an inline spiral muffler, and huge 3" piping. And no nasty U-turn either. Also pictured is the inline muffler.

I feel like I'm hijacking this thread, tell me if that is the case and I'll edit my comments down.

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
FormulaGT

Post by FormulaGT »

Thats is the old exhaust that came with the car, which is made by DesignOne.

Im basically going to copy this, and this setup wasnt loud at all with the glasspacks.

If the new exhaust is going to be too loud, I will put in another glasspack where the cat would be I guess, but I'll see what it sounds like without anything for now.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

You ever seen any flow tests on any Spintechs?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

No, from what I've heard it's a pretty small company.

I didn't buy the muffler for performance. I bought it for sound deadening and sound quality. I'm not worried about the 10hp I'll gain by going to a Borla. I can get 10hp just as easy by running another pound of boost.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Actually, the Borlas are as much as 40 HP better than some muffs, tested on, you guessed it, a 350 chev. But I'll stop now so I don't hijack this thread.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Atilla the Fun wrote:Actually, the Borlas are as much as 40 HP better than some muffs, tested on, you guessed it, a 350 chev. But I'll stop now so I don't hijack this thread.
Others may bitch about a hijack, but it's still a technical subject, so I'm going to roll with it. If someone is bitching about the hijack, it surely won't be the OP since his question is answered, and no one else has a place to complain since it doesn't affect them in the least.

I would be quite surprised if those tests were done, how do I say, "right". Using the same size mufflers, and only replacing them, etc. I still can't believe more than 10hp between one muffler and another, though I could be wrong.

If I get around to building my 4" downpipe, then that won't have any muffler restriction. But on the days I want to preserve my hearing, and have my car sound good, I'll sacrifice the 40hp.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

How about getting you a 4" cutout, reducing the out to 2.?" and just carrying both mufflers around? Loud or quiet at the flick of a switch.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Well I'd need a 4" downpipe, which I don't think I can fit. Not to mention that my inline muffler is only 3", and there's no room between the turbine and the inline muffler for a cutout. Not only that, but then my O2 sensor wouldn't read. Lastly, if open, the exhaust would go right into my engine bay.

I overall hate cutouts. I believe if you build the exhaust system right, for a N/A car, then the power to be had by a cutout is not going to be significant, or noticeable.

It'd help for a turbo car, however the Fiero is just not a good candidate.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

aaron you don't need a 4 inch downpipe. 3 inch can support 600 whp.