Do V8 Gen I/II and Gen III/IV starters interchange?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Do V8 Gen I/II and Gen III/IV starters interchange?

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Can I put a modern mini-starter from a 5.3, etc. on an old school SBC?
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

I don't think so
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

you should look into the '92-'97 LT1/LT4 starter. They're even cheaper remanufactured. I forget the source of my info. But the interchange is good.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

oh, by the way, I have the stuff loose in my bedroom to test this idea for you. Give me a couple of days.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Atilla the Fun wrote:oh, by the way, I have the stuff loose in my bedroom to test this idea for you. Give me a couple of days.
Thanks. I'd appreciate that.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I was using the starter from a 2000 5.3, and the 350 was the 1-piece rear main seal, so the flexplate is 153 tooth. First, the matter of bolts. The 350 bolts slid right through the 5.3 starter perfectly. The block came from either a truck or a 'vette, it's 4-bolt main. This matters only because it has all 3 starter bolt holes, for either the straight pattern of the 153 tooth, and the staggered pattern of the 168 tooth. as vettes didn't use 168 tooth in those years, this is a truck block. Anyway, the 5.3 holes are too close together, and even if youwere inclined to drill and tap a new hole, or two, you'd still need to take a grinder to the block, as the solenoid/plunger thing hits the block. If you ground the clearance, you wouldn't hit water, so have at it if you aqlready have the starter and KNOW it's good, go right ahead. Otherwise, just use the starter for the '92-'97 LT1/LT4.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

p.s. If you go 168 tooth, you might not need to grind, or at least not as much, and you might be able to use the outermost hole.