Wow... I did a 360... and didn't wreck my car

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

DiggityBiggity

Wow... I did a 360... and didn't wreck my car

Post by DiggityBiggity »

Holy shit.. roads were wet.. was taking a turn a little too hard.. next thing I know.. my car was spinning out of control... never lost control like that before.. put my clutch in.. slammed on the brakes.. turned the wheel...

I must have done something right though, because I missed the three cars around me, and the concrete wall...

Jesus...
Billybo455

Post by Billybo455 »

some days you just get lucky. congrats on it being today!
my fiero is faster then yours. the end. except you fieroX :P
lucky

Post by lucky »

I spun like a top off an on ramp into the middle of the highway, stalled the car and thought for a second it might not start again while headlights bore down on my passenger side window. Scared the fuck out of me. I take it easy on wet on ramps now.
eHoward
Banned

Re: Wow... I did a 360... and didn't wreck my car

Post by eHoward »

Time for new tires?

guess that means your car is fixed? what was the problem?
DiggityBiggity wrote:Holy shit.. roads were wet.. was taking a turn a little too hard.. next thing I know.. my car was spinning out of control... never lost control like that before.. put my clutch in.. slammed on the brakes.. turned the wheel...

I must have done something right though, because I missed the three cars around me, and the concrete wall...

Jesus...
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

eHoward wrote:Time for new tires?

guess that means your car is fixed? what was the problem?
No, my tires are great. Toyo and Yoko's, remember?

I was coming off the Ben Franklin Bridge into Jersey.

And yeah, needed a new clutch.
whipped

Post by whipped »

glad you're alright man, that's crazy. this week has been absolutely shitty for me. If you could please, just mail back my luck.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

whipped wrote:glad you're alright man, that's crazy. this week has been absolutely shitty for me. If you could please, just mail back my luck.
I'll see what I can do :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

DiggityBiggity wrote:Holy shit.. roads were wet.. was taking a turn a little too hard.. next thing I know.. my car was spinning out of control... never lost control like that before.. put my clutch in.. slammed on the brakes.. turned the wheel...

Jesus...

BTDT. I've done most of my spinning out on mountain roads, and have narrowly avoided sliding down the mountainside on more than one occasion.

A couple of times on Deal's Gap and the trip back I was braking for a turn on a damp road and inappropriate brake bias caused me to lock the rears for a slit second. The slow Fiero steering makes that REALLY to catch, but by minor miracle I did. Talk about pucker factor.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Talk about pucker factor.
LMAO!!!
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

have you looked into a quicker-ratio steering rack, maybe from a different application, or even manufacturer?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Sweet MFG made the fast racks for the actual Indy pace cars. I've called them about it and they no longer have any of the plans for those, so a faster rack/pinion combo would be a start-from-scratch endeavor.

I don't think there's anything that bolts in without significant modification to the suspension crossmember/rack mounting points. Getting the new rack to go on straight then takes some persnicketiness.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

seems to me it's due to the street-rod market, but I think there are now a bunch of options for ratio, width and mounting width of so-called Mustang 2 / Pinto racks. Maybe from Flaming River. I'll try to find it. Anyone know the measurements? my Fiero is inaccessible for now.