Coolest skydiving pic of all time

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

EBSB52

Coolest skydiving pic of all time

Post by EBSB52 »

This is a situation that is one of a tandem instr worst nightmares and could have killed at least 2, but it turned out fine. I don't know this instructor - this happened 2 months ago in Washington State.

Shit - I have the photo, how do I upload it w/o a URL?

That's how you do it. The student, who was so scared tehy had to go around, freaked and stood up in the door, pushing the reserve against the top sill, ejecting the pin and the reserve.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

OK, now I have it upoaded
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

What ended up happening? Did the reserve stay caught in the plane or rip out?
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Xanth wrote:What ended up happening? Did the reserve stay caught in the plane or rip out?

Per guys in the acft, the pilot shot deep inside the acft, as they are heavily spring-loaded, so they threw it toward the door and it found its way out. See how close the bridle is to his foot? If that wraps they are really fucked. If the reserve mals, there is no cutaway for it. If the main mals, no biggie, chop, get stable, reserve.

Anyway, all that happened was a really long canopy ride. See the horror on her face? A lot of people have changed their exits from squated to sitting, so dipshits can't stand you up and do this. Furthermore, it's easier to get into your arch.
fieroX

Post by fieroX »

thats why everyone should do AFF. Tandem sucks.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

So you want your first jump to be by yourself, all that sensory overload blasting you in teh face on that first jump? I haven't read the statistics, but I'm very sure the odds are much better with a tandem, esp with students like the one in the pic.

The idea is to do 2 tandems, get that sensory overload dimisnished and then do an ASP program, which is basically the AFF after 2 tandems. Take it from a tandem instructor, at least 1/ the students are a mess on tehir 1st and even their second jumps. I took 2 guys on their 2nd tandem to graduate to AFF and they both froze on me, I had to force tehir hand to their ripcord and they did pull, 1 of them then puked on me. Here's a vid that illustrates why AFF with no tandems is a bad idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbNXNti6NGU

Some guys think strapping a dude to his ass is gay and most even skydiviers think you get a boner strapping a hot chick to your front. I used to think this before I did tandems and the instr then told me that was BS. It is BS, when it comes to strap time and exit, all I'm thinking is there are 2 people here and 1 is going to try to kill us both; what can I do to avoid this? Now some students are awesome, but you never know how people are gonna react, in fact, neither do they. But don't, for a second think that teh TI is thinking about anything but being safe.

I did hear 1 case where a guy took up a hottie and groped her on teh way down, tehy got it on vid and prosecuted his ass. Most TI's are horny fucks and they all wanna take up the hotties, and so do I, but I almost rather take up dudes for 2 reasons:

1) When you strap together and tighten straps, with a chick you have to be careful of her boobs when tighening and tucking the straps, it can be a hassle because you don't wanna freak her out fro 2 reasons:

A) Prosecution / Lawsuit.

B) If she's freaked or uneasy upon exit, you might create a handful.

2) Think about the weight geometry; a heavy dude wants to find gravity first, pulling you belly to earth. A 100 lb chick is < 1/2 my weight, about a 1/3 if you count the gear on my back which is essentially part of me. I have to fly to stay on top of her, defying CG or whatever gravity principle that would be. If she hangs a knee it can be a mess in a hurry.

With that said, give me the hottie every time :3some:

Now let's talk about the 6-hour course you have to do to do an AFF 1 w/o the tandems: as well as the 6 hours, it costs 350-400 bucks. The time and expense ruins a quick and fun time. I can teach a student everything they need to know in about 2 minutes for a tandem, harnessing them takes 4-5 minutes and off we go. No hassle, no learning, no stress other than what is typical of jumping out of an acft. Think of some of these students that are a mess with teh knowledge that they have 500+ tandems on their back, then think of them by themselves......

MORAL OF THE STORY: Do a tandem, maybe 2 before you do AFF.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

EBSB52 wrote:all I'm thinking is there are 2 people here and 1 is going to try to kill us both; what can I do to avoid this?
That's what they used to tell us in NFO training: "Your pilot is trying to kill you, your controller is trying to kill you, your aircraft is trying to kill you and the ground is trying to kill you. Don't let them."
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:all I'm thinking is there are 2 people here and 1 is going to try to kill us both; what can I do to avoid this?
That's what they used to tell us in NFO training: "Your pilot is trying to kill you, your controller is trying to kill you, your aircraft is trying to kill you and the ground is trying to kill you. Don't let them."
Navy Flight Ops?????

Yea, that's a healthy mentality, same should be excercized when riding a motorcycle to a lesser intensity. I watch guys that are more experienced than me at tandems, which is most of them, and I see them jackassing around; I wouldn't do that. I think it distracts from your concentration. I'm sure they're awesome with mals, it's just an attitude I wouldn't get, I think you need to have to show respect for the position. I say position because you are not just skydiving, you are repsonsible for soemone's life. Now by myself......
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

NFO = Naval Flight Officer... Goose in Top Gun.

They fed us some statistics in the ground school sections. ~2000 hours is when aviators are most likely to cause lethal mishaps. Most of our instructors were about that experience level. Sometimes the overconfidence showed.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:NFO = Naval Flight Officer... Goose in Top Gun.

They fed us some statistics in the ground school sections. ~2000 hours is when aviators are most likely to cause lethal mishaps. Most of our instructors were about that experience level. Sometimes the overconfidence showed.
Yea, I see that phenomenon in all extreme activities. What acft dod NFo in? How many hours? Are you guns or what is teh job of an NFO? Navigation? Logistics in general?