Individual Throttle Body Intake for V6

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Forever-Fiero

Re: Individual Throttle Body Intake for V6

Post by Forever-Fiero »

Hey Will, I put a link in the "HTFP" sticky you might want to take a look at.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Hey Will can you take some pics of the injectors in those bungs in the manifold itself? I don't have my bungs yet and I am not sure if the injectors will have enough room. I am thinking I might have to go to a shorter injector.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

looking for an opinion here people. The intake right now is drilled and tapped for 1/8th NPT fittings. You can see them in the below pic. What does this mean? Well a simple vacuum source for one as its a very common thread size and easy to get parts at your local hardware store. So essentially the vacuum problem would be solved. Which would leave the injector problem and where to mount them.

Here is the bung. The black line that I marked is how deep the injector sits in the bung.

If I were to use the already threaded holes for vacuum, I would then need to locate the injectors further upstream. and I think doing this would really limit this setup to an N/A setup only as it would almost be near impossible to build a plenum with the injectors sitting that high.

Help me out here people. Or if you see another option I don't then fire away.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

Forever-Fiero

Post by Forever-Fiero »

Something like this maybe.

http://www.twminduction.com/ThrottleBod ... kit_lg.jpg

With a air box like this.

http://www.twminduction.com/airbox.htm

Or you could put them on this side like this.

Last edited by Forever-Fiero on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

that of course would leave my only options as being an N/A setup. I would really like to turbo it.

Forever-Fiero

Post by Forever-Fiero »

^^^ look again ^^^ I added to it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:looking for an opinion here people. The intake right now is drilled and tapped for 1/8th NPT fittings. You can see them in the below pic. What does this mean? Well a simple vacuum source for one as its a very common thread size and easy to get parts at your local hardware store. So essentially the vacuum problem would be solved. Which would leave the injector problem and where to mount them.
Mine has injector bungs attached where yours has those NPT bosses, as you know. I think it would be better to drill those bosses out and use them for injectors. You can run your vacuum plumbing UNDER the manifold and bring it out with one connection through the baseplate.

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Those twm airboxes aren't boost freindly, but I know I could always make my own from aluminum. And if I put the fuel bungs where you suggested Forever, then the injector won't be pointing at the valve when it opens.

Will, the valvetrain takes up a lot of room. The rockers down there and the pushrods moving around don't leave a lot of room. Not only that but there is a rocker arm on each end of hte intake manifold right where easy access would be to just pop it out the side. Not only that, what would you recommend using for vacuum line if going internal with the oil and high temps? It would have to be braided line I would imagine. Not only that but if one springs a vacuum leak I would have to pull the whole intake manifold to fix it.

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

aqctually custom bent metal lines with compression fittings could work under the manifold and they are thin. hmmmm

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Can you run one set of vacuum lines for both vacuum for the map sensor and brake booster, and also for the IAC valve? I would think they would need separate plumbing just like factory.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I think the thing to worry about is that you *might* get incorrect transient signal from your MAP sensor due to flow from your brake booster or other vacuum accessories. I have no idea how bad it would be or even if it would be a problem or not.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

This is a stupid question I know, but here goes! This intake was setup designed for EFI... how did the manufacturer get vacuum?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

He didn't. It was alpha-N control.
CincinnatiFiero

I got that from earlier in the thread but where did he get brake booster vacuum?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

This intake wasnt designed for efi. It was originally setup for mechanical fuel injection. It had what I guess you could call fuel nozzles screwed into the intake and then there was what is called a barrel valve that controlled the fuel. It is designed to flow X amount of fuel when at idle, and then at WOT the barrel valve would open and just dump fuel. There was no real fuel metering and the intake is pretty much a race application. It came from a race car that didn't have a brake booster. Its froma midget racer and from what I was told by the old owner only 6 of these intakes were made.

I am now trying to convert it to EFI.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

True, it wasn't electronic fuel injection. It was mechanical fuel injection, very similar to a Hilborn for a SBC.
CincinnatiFiero

Hilborn is cool, hardly a wave of the future. If you could make it EFI that would be cool, but you'll probably make more power with wills double plenum.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The DPM is for iron heads, this is for aluminum heads.

If Shaun still had his bow tie block he could build an all aluminum 3400 with this intake, a big turbo and make 500 HP.
CincinnatiFiero

Forgot about that part. Well, I will keep watching, its a cool intake, just seems like a ton of work.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I drilled out the bosses like on Will's intake. I have but a few pics of the process but none of the finished result. Maybe have some posted up tomorrow.

Just have to drill and tap for vacuum as well as IAC control as well.