hybrid suspension q's

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

jdv

hybrid suspension q's

Post by jdv »

I was at the junk yard looking for A body parts to do a swap on the rear of my car. While searching for parts I found some 2007 cobolt uprights mostly removed, they look like a close mach for the fiero but are made of aluminum. I would like to upgrade to 5x115 hubs but would also like to save weight.Doing some research I found that the A body bearings are 3.54"and the opening in the cobolt upright is 3.33". Any thoughts on this.
thanks joe
CincinnatiFiero

Re: hybrid suspension q's

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Cobalt Hubs are 5x110, or are you going to use A-body hubs?
jdv

Post by jdv »

I would like to use the cobolt upright with the Aboby bearings-hub.
Attachments
GEDC0023 (Small).JPG
GEDC0023 (Small).JPG (37.23 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Oh ok, sorry the bolt pattern is as much as I know.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I think you'd be better off taking the carrier from a 2000+ Grand Am or '97+ Grand Prix, since those already have the 5x115 pattern and aluminum knuckles so you won't have to do any machine work just to get the bearings in place.

I believe that Corvette 5x4.75 bearings will bolt to the W-body (Grand Prix) knuckles, although the spline is different.
jdv

Post by jdv »

Will is the grand prix geometry close enough for alignment ? I don't have my car to check.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

No, but neither is the Cobalt. With any donor but an A-body, you're in for significant fabrication to the control arms and toe link (and a change of struts).
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

If I was going through the trouble of a Suspension swap, I'd first start with getting away from the early Fiero rear suspension and the stupid toelink setup completely. An aluminum hub would be nice, but are the weight savings worth the money and effort? were talking maybe 10 pounds. Also the same goes for a bigger bolt pattern. You can get just about any wheel in 5X100 and brake rotors can be drilled......

After all the time and effort and money you'll still have the basic problems with that rear suspension.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The big issue with 5x100 is tiny bearings.

Don't forget that the weight savings is unsprung. The Fiero has about 100# of unsprung weight per corner, so dropping 10 is a 10% change.