Q about 282 combo..

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Atilla the Fun

Q about 282 combo..

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Anyone know if GM ever installed both the 3.61 final and the 1.03 fourth together? And if so, any ideas what cars they were used together IN?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Q about 282 combo..

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Late '80's/early '90's Grand Prix with aluminum head 2.8/3.1. This app also included the 3.79 first and 2.19 2nd, though.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Thank you, Will.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

Hrm, interesting.

Will, if Dave is correct, the tranny you sold me is from a '90 Grand Prix (3.1). I don't know what numbers he ran to get that, but that's what he told me.
That would mean that I have a shorter first, second, and fourth than a Fiero Getrag. Are third and fifth the same?

I'll have to run some numbers to see where shifting puts me in the powerband compared to the Fiero Getrag.

Confirm or deny?
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

Wow, that's quite a first to second RPM drop, I don't like it. The (relatively) huge turbo will take a long time to re-spool, and I won't have the 1.6 60' traction advantage like the Talon to make good use of the short first. Then again, this engine has morphed from a low RPM T25 torquey wheezer to a mid-high RPM S258 breather, and the new setup will evolve into a high-rpm destroked S258 screamer (relatively speaking).

Yep, it's official. All 282's suck. I wish I could have the IROC's T56 gearing, but without the attached wheel-spin through third.

/late night up-too-late light-headed tired pointless rant
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I never checked the ratios, but I pulled that transmission out of an N-body, NOT a W-body.
KurtAKX

Post by KurtAKX »

W body trans cases have a couple extra tapped bosses for the W-specific trans mount that I have not seen (at least in Fiero cases)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

It you're talking about the ones on the top surface of the case just "uphill" from the diff, N/L bodies have those also.
KurtAKX

Post by KurtAKX »

I had a couple W-car Getrags that had holes down here under the cover, I happened to have some W-transes chillin' in the garage at the same time the ManTrans replacement trans for CK's car came. I looked at both the replacement and the core, and neither was setup the way the W cases were.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Do you have a wider picture of that? I've never seen a stamped 282 end cover with the inverted torx bolts.
KurtAKX

Post by KurtAKX »

That's not the actual trans from a W-car, that's just a picture I found that has a similar style mount boss area. I don't have any pictures of the W car transmissions, I got rid of my spare trans when I sold my trailerparkmobile (first gen W car)