Recommended Reading

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Recommended Reading

Post by Series8217 »

What are some good books to get on chassis/suspension design, tuning, and construction, engine building, etc?
I'm going to UCLA in five weeks and wont be able to take my Fiero this year (its ridiculously hard to get parking), so instead of working on it I want to educate myself so I can do some cool stuff come winter break.
I'm going to place a huge Amazon.com order. What should I get?
If you have good web site links to share too that would be appreciated.
:salute:
Chase Race

Post by Chase Race »

Fred Puhn - How to Make Your Car Handle
Caroll Smith - Tune To Win
Herb Adams - Chassis Engineering

They're all good. Take your pick.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

I have the book Forced Induction performance tuning.
Good starter on turbos, nitrous and blowers.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Make sure Race Car Vehicle Dynamics is on your list.

Then ALL of the Carroll books.

If you still have money, I'll list more.

I think both those books are a waste of time Doug.
Chase Race wrote:Fred Puhn - How to Make Your Car Handle

They're all good. Take your pick.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Tires, Suspension and Handling by John Dixon, if you're into the theory and math behind vehicle dynamics. It's not as practical application and race-car oriented as the others, though.
Chase Race

Post by Chase Race »

eHoward wrote: I think both those books are a waste of time Doug.
Chase Race wrote:Fred Puhn - How to Make Your Car Handle
Here's where my recommendations came from.

The first suspension book I bought was the Puhn book. I think it has a good explanation of the basics. Next book I bought was Tune To Win. More detail and practical application stuff. Next book I recieved as a gift was the Adams book. I've only glanced through it and read pieces so far but it seemed to cover all the basics, too. Hence the recommendation.

It's been a while since I've opened any of these, though, so my memory is likely fuzzy.

Why do you feel the Puhn and Adams books are worthless?
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

Worthless??
Thats an ignorant statement. They may not be the most detailed and technical books, but for people who are begining to learn and understand suspension theory and tuning, they are invaluable.
All the books mentioned are great resources.
Carol's books are great, not only for their technicality, but they can be applied easily.
Chase Race

Post by Chase Race »

teamlseep13 wrote:Worthless??
Thats an ignorant statement.
Oops, Howard actually said "waste of time" not "worthless". Sorry about the mis-quote, Howard. I didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

I'd like to hear why you think they're a waste of time, though. Is it because they have nothing to add beyond Smith, or do you have other reasons?
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Wow.

I've read them and I there are better books out there. I wouldn't read them unless you have nothing better to do with your time, let alone money.
teamlseep13 wrote:Worthless??
Thats an ignorant statement. They may not be the most detailed and technical books, but for people who are begining to learn and understand suspension theory and tuning, they are invaluable.
All the books mentioned are great resources.
Carol's books are great, not only for their technicality, but they can be applied easily.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

The point I was trying to get across was Race Car Vehicle Dynamics should be on any list of books for suspension/chassis engineering and if he reads that, he won't need nor want the Pugn or Adams.

I remember being annoyed at various parts of both the books. I don't recall all the specifics, but what sticks out the most is anti-roll bars with "How to Make Your Car Handle"

For pure newbies:

I think the Forbes Aird Chassis book is night and day better then the Adams one.

I also think Staniforth's Competition Car Suspension is a better introduction then Handle.

Chase Race wrote: I'd like to hear why you think they're a waste of time, though. Is it because they have nothing to add beyond Smith, or do you have other reasons?
BigRedDeckSpoiler

Post by BigRedDeckSpoiler »

On another slant, I'll recommend Motorbooks "How To Tune And Modify Chevrolet Fuel Injection" by Ben Watson.

It explains the nuts and bolts of our EFI systems better than anything else I've run across.
The publication # is 124678.
BRDS
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

BUMP! so the n00bs can read up.

Update with my take on the books since I've read many of them now.
I'm almost halfway through Race Car Vehicle Dynamics, I've read all of Carroll Smith's books (except Prepare To Win; I couldn't find it!), but combined they still aren't as useful and complete as Race Car Vehicle Dynamics. Smith gives a lot of practical information but there are errors and omissions in his descriptions/explanations of vehicle dynamics and suspension. A lot of stuff we have today wasn't even around when Smith wrote his books. RCVD is a university textbook on understand how cars interact (physically) with the world. Double thumbs up to the Millikens. :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

I'm now looking for a good book on chassis and suspension fabrication. Is Race Car Chassis: Design and Construction what I'm looking for?

BigRedDeckSpoiler wrote:On another slant, I'll recommend Motorbooks "How To Tune And Modify Chevrolet Fuel Injection" by Ben Watson.

It explains the nuts and bolts of our EFI systems better than anything else I've run across.
The publication # is 124678.
Well, I bought and read that book and its horrid. There's glaring errors throughout the book and the sections on tuning/performance modifications are absolute nonsense. He recommends all of the typical Ebay mods such as resistor on your coolant temp sensor and unplugging your oxygen sensor when you boost the fuel pressure to "make more power". LOLWTFWatson?!?! No scientific information whatsoever. The book is full of arbitrary graphs such as the mysterious "Fuel Pressure vs Power" graph (no units).
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

TurboGT wrote:I have the book Forced Induction performance tuning.
Good starter on turbos, nitrous and blowers.
That is a really good book. He also has one for engine building/N/A tuning, I forgot what it's called...

His name though is A. Graham Bell IIRC.
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

I just got this book a while ago and havnt had the chance to start it, but have heard good things about it.

Scientific Design Of Exhaust & Intake Systems
by: Philip H. Smith & John C. Morrison
Mega Squirted Turbo 3400
The install
How to MS your Fiero
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Anyone get a chance to read this new book?
http://www.sae.org/servlets/productDeta ... D_CD=R-369
Vehicular Engine Design by Kevin L Hoag. The chapter list looks promising!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

TurboGT wrote:I just got this book a while ago and havnt had the chance to start it, but have heard good things about it.

Scientific Design Of Exhaust & Intake Systems
by: Philip H. Smith & John C. Morrison
Haha!

I have that. It's pretty dry and very mathematical. I haven't looked at it in a long time, though.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Mod want to make this thread a sticky? Methinks it'd be useful in the future even if we stop posting..
slowpoke

Re: Recommended Reading

Post by slowpoke »

Can anyone tell me if there are any new suggestions for newbs wanting to learn about suspensions. Or are the ones listed still considered the best. I tried to look up the one from Forbes and Aird and there were like six different listings, so I don't know if they have written more of them in the last five years or which would be best for me.
I wasn't banned, I'd just rather be here.
Datsun1973

Re: Recommended Reading

Post by Datsun1973 »

I designed two FSAE car suspension systems in college using Carroll Smith's books and his design methodology. I also have a copy of Race Car Vehicle Dynamics. However, I defauted to Mr. Smith more often because his books are written from a more practical perspective. Sitting in my garage now is the final application of Mr. Smith's basic theories (tube frame race car that uses some fiero stuff) and I hope he'd be proud.

Race Car Vehicle Dynamics is awesome for theory and engineering though.

I have also read Herb Adams book and I don't like it. It's more for the drag race crowd and basic cars and I also don't agree with a lot of his assumptions and conclusions.