Does anyone know how to test a fuel pump on a 1984 2.5 ?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

jelly2m81

Re: Does anyone know how to test a fuel pump on a 1984 2.5 ?

Post by jelly2m81 »

Proper way to test that is with a Noid light, plug it into the injector harness and crank the motor see if it flashes. If it does, the injector is at fault. If it doesn't you may have a problem with the wiring or ECM.

In absence of a noid light you can test the ECM / wiring with a test light or an old analog multimeter ( style with a needle ).
The pink wire at the connector is hot at all times with the ignition on, the blue wire should pulse when cranking with the test light / meter connected to +12v.

Have you checked the Injector fuse? there is a fuse for that.
84duke

Post by 84duke »

I tested the injector lead solinoid,with a noid tester and cranked it over, and theres no reference signal.Where is the Injector fuse? is it in the fuse box? what is it labeled? Does anyone have a clear wiring diagram that would show how the power goes to the injector leads? is there anyway to test the ecm? also where does the ecm power harness come from on the indy fiero with just the battery and the ground wire on the battery side wall and the main harness on the firewall layout early 84 version. My battery and ground looks like the pic. the ecm pwr junction box is on the firewall behind the seats. thanks
Attachments
tn_full_DSC09912JPG_Thumbnail1 modified.jpg
tn_full_DSC09912JPG_Thumbnail1 modified.jpg (18.34 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
KurtAKX

Post by KurtAKX »

Just bring your car over. I'm confident I could fix it faster than I could explain it.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I do believe the ECM grounds the wire for the injector, which means your injector should have 12V at one of the wires all the time when the ignition is on, and the other wire goes to the ECM. If you are not getting 12V at one of the wires with the igniton on, I would check fuses, I cant remember if it is my 84 or 86 Fiero (both originally 2.5L), but one of them had an INJ fuse. Could also be a fusable link, 84's had alot of wires going to the starter solenoid, and they all had fuseable links at the starter end, maybe one of them is fused?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

As mentioned before, the pink wire at the injector plug is +12 all the time. You can check the injector fuse with your test light by referencing the battery negative post instead of the other wire to the injector connector.
84duke

Post by 84duke »

Will where is the injector fuse? is it the crank fuse? 3amp? or is the ecm ignition fuse 10amp? thanks
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

In the later years there are fuses in the box labeled INJ 1 and INJ 2. I think it's the same on the '84 but I'm not 100% sure.
84duke

Post by 84duke »

inj 1 and inj 2 are for the v6 unless one of these is used for the 4 cylinder does anyone know? thanks
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Most, if not all of the 84 fusebox is different, it is arranged differently, and there are fuses for different circuits.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

They were used for the 4 cylinder first. The port injectors draw less current than the TB injectors. That's why you can run three/four port injectors on the same fuse that feeds one TB injector.
84duke

Post by 84duke »

Where would u start to figure out how to get power to the injector solinoid? I checked all the fuses with a test light and they are getting power when key is turned to run. Whats next? any thoughts. Does anyone live in cincinnati ohio that might be able to stop over with a 84 and help i would be willing to buy the beer? thanks