Getrag not shifting smoothly at 7000+ rpm

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Matt Hawkins

Re: Getrag not shifting smoothly at 7000+ rpm

Post by Matt Hawkins »

I am running exposed springs currently. I don't think that the mass of the spring pack would cause this issue. I would look towards clutch release if that is all you changed. Are you sure you got the right pressure plate?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Matt Hawkins wrote:I am running exposed springs currently. I don't think that the mass of the spring pack would cause this issue.
Well, I think figured they might have changed other stuff in the redesign; I don't have an older Clutchnet disc to compare to though.
I would look towards clutch release if that is all you changed. Are you sure you got the right pressure plate?
I'm running a stock-replacement Sachs pressure plate for a 2.8 Fiero. I did have a disengagement problem in the first 10 miles or so of driving (clutch would re-engage at max pedal travel) but that problem went away entirely by the time I got home from my friend's place where I did the clutch swap.

The 1-to-2 shift is alright if I do it at 6000 RPM instead of 7000 RPM, and the 2-to-3 shift is ok even from 7000 RPM. The RPM drop on that shift is a lot less so the synchro definitely has to do less work.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Matt, you were right. Something funny going on with engagement. If I put my transmission in 1st gear, press the clutch pedal to the floor and rev my motor, the car lurches forward when the RPMs get to around 7k. The clutch is re-engaging at high RPM. At the same RPM, the pedal feels funny; it feels like the pedal force goes down at the time the clutch starts to re-engage.

I'm not sure how that make sense of the pedal feel; I thought it would be the other way around if the pressure plate is re-engaging -- the pedal force should go up as the pressure plate fingers would have to press harder against the throwout bearing if the friction surface is re-engaging..