Finally dynoed my turbo 3.4 dohc....430 rwhp!

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

darkhorizon

Re: Finally dynoed my turbo 3.4 dohc....430 rwhp!

Post by darkhorizon »

No, retard is still wrong, 12 psi intake pressure is 12psi intake pressure... The intake is aluminum, and is not effected by outside conditions.. it is a sealed system being measured by a device that is calibrated for sea level. It could be in outer space and still read 12psi if there was the correct ~45lb/min amount of air to flow through it.
My fiero is cheaper than yours. The end.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

pressure does not equal airlfow.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

If pressure equaled airflow then people wouldn't have as much need for bigger turbos. For example, while I may have been running 20 psi on my old DSM with the 14b turbo, that definitely doesn't mean that it was flowing as much air as say a 20g at 20 psi would...
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

darkhorizon wrote:No, retard is still wrong, 12 psi intake pressure is 12psi intake pressure... The intake is aluminum, and is not effected by outside conditions.. it is a sealed system being measured by a device that is calibrated for sea level. It could be in outer space and still read 12psi if there was the correct ~45lb/min amount of air to flow through it.
Lol... do you know the difference between gauge pressure and absolute pressure?

It's kinda like the difference between Fahrenheit and Rankine or between Celcius and Kelvin. You really need to know which one you're talking about, because they can behave in different ways, even though the units are the same.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Neither boost gauges or wastegates are calibrated for sea level first off, 0psi is ambient/atmospheric. A 8.7psi spring like I have opens at 8.7 over ambient, not 8.7 over sea level. Thus my gauge reads 8.7 at full boost, and the wastegate opens at 8.7. But that 8.7 is still less than 8.7 at sea level, because it's 8.7 above ambient, not above sea level.

You can get an inline device that goes on the ambient side of the wastegate to adjust it for altitude, but I'm already terrified of blowing my motor, so running more boost isn't what I want.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.