Who wants to design a LZ itb intake and 3d print it?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

SappySE107

Re: Who wants to design a LZ itb intake and 3d print it?

Post by SappySE107 »

Series8217 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:51 pm Polymaker PA-CF is supposed to be annealed at 80C for 6 hours. I do it with a big food dehydrator.
https://www.plasticsintl.com/media/b1wa ... ealing.pdf

That is what I found for polycarbonate, and it has a max ramp and and down rate for temperature control. If its not that strict, then I can use the food dehydrator no problem.
Every criticism, judgment, diagnosis, and expression of anger is the tragic expression of an unmet need. -Marshall Rosenberg
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

SappySE107 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:29 am
Series8217 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:51 pm Polymaker PA-CF is supposed to be annealed at 80C for 6 hours. I do it with a big food dehydrator.
https://www.plasticsintl.com/media/b1wa ... ealing.pdf

That is what I found for polycarbonate, and it has a max ramp and and down rate for temperature control. If its not that strict, then I can use the food dehydrator no problem.
PC is annealed to remove internal stresses, but nylon is annealed to recrystallize it for strength.
So it's useful to anneal PC but not technically required for reaching the ultimate material strength like it is for nylon.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:49 pm
Ferrari V12's have ports centered on the bore centerline and a bank offset that's only the width of the connecting rod... thus the ports interfere with each other.
The V6/60 has a port offset to the bore centerline (I hope the same direction for each cylinder on the LZ9, but earlier engines did not), with a bank offset that is the width of the conrod PLUS the width of the "split" in the crank throw...
FWIW, in my model above, the walls of the ports touch, but it's not terrible. significantly more room than a connecting rod width.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
CaptainHindsight

Post by CaptainHindsight »

I'm working on it. Not sure of you recall but I got hit with Covid19 twice and then I got the really good news with Stage-IV cancer. I beat that in the last year and jumping back into lots of projects. This is definitely on my list but I have some catching up to do.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

ericjon262 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:58 pm
FWIW, in my model above, the walls of the ports touch, but it's not terrible. significantly more room than a connecting rod width.
That's my point... the DOHC valve/ports are symmetrical across the cylinder axis; opposing ports are only offset from each other by the bank offset, which is the connecting rod thickness.
The pushrod intake port is offset from the cylinder axis. Using the same head on both sides makes one offset forward, the other rearward. The port offsets work together to help packaging. Also, the bank offset is much larger due to the split crank throws, further improving packaging.
CaptainHindsight wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:38 pm I'm working on it. Not sure of you recall but I got hit with Covid19 twice and then I got the really good news with Stage-IV cancer. I beat that in the last year and jumping back into lots of projects. This is definitely on my list but I have some catching up to do.
It's pretty amazing that you're still with us after a diagnosis like that... celebrate being able to work on things! :Yahoo!:
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

CaptainHindsight wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:38 pm I'm working on it. Not sure of you recall but I got hit with Covid19 twice and then I got the really good news with Stage-IV cancer. I beat that in the last year and jumping back into lots of projects. This is definitely on my list but I have some catching up to do.
What Will said! damn man, sounds like you had a hell of a year, glad to hear you made it!
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."