Engine Swaps

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

You know what I think is impressive about the L67 swap in my car? 70,000 trouble free miles and the confidence to drive it anywhere and the option of getting 30 ish mpg while I'm doing it if I can keep my foot out of it. If I could afford a 600 hp car, I'd likely go for the Benz or something similarly engineered by a manufacturer. I sure as shit wouldn't put it into a 20 year old car and expect it to be anything close to reliable. So scoff all you want that my 240 hp isn't as big of a number as what you've sat your ass in, it's bulletproof as it sits.
Last edited by stimpy on Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

240hp isnt "slow" or "unimpressive"

Give your head a shake. Its night and day compared to a stock 2p8 V6.

240(ish)hp in my Indy is enough to beat 80% on the streets.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

donk_316 wrote:240hp isnt "slow" or "unimpressive"

I never said it wouldn't be great compared to a 2p8, it certainly would be.

But it isn't fast, and the one I rode in, probably around 280hp, certainly didn't impress me. The only think I liked was the blower whine.

I also never siad it couldn't beat 80% of street cars, it could probably beat more than that, but either way, it isn't fast. 13s aren't all that quick when a stock Subaru will verge on breaking into the 12s.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Aaron wrote:

But it isn't fast, and the one I rode in, probably around 280hp, certainly didn't impress me. The only think I liked was the blower whine.

I also never siad it couldn't beat 80% of street cars, it could probably beat more than that, but either way, it isn't fast. 13s aren't all that quick when a stock Subaru will verge on breaking into the 12s.
so if something can do fast stock then makes it slow? it has to be aftermarket to make it fast? :fart:
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Aaron wrote:

Your going to hurt my feelings if you imply my car is "unimpressive" again.....lol!
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

The Northstar was put in the Caddilac cause it is refined, effcient and quiet. It's great flowing heads allow it to make lots of power, be emissions legal and no have to have radical cam's and tuning. Thats why Cadillac thinks it belongs in their cars.

Now sure the Northstar can be tuned, massaged and whipped into a crazy 400hp monster, and I love that it can. I think its a great swap, and I would do it, after I do the ecotec. Only reason I wan't the ecotec more is that I am a Lotus lover at heart. Keep the weight to minimum.

240 is impressive I think. Thats a 100hp more than the GT put out. I agree that having a reliable engine swap is the most important thing. The ecotec I put it will have about 170-200 depending on mods I do before I put it in. But it will have about 10k miles on it, get 40 mpg and be fun!.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

whipped wrote: There was even a TSB issued on this. Point is, they're happy living at 6000+rpm, but start breaking in grandma's cars'
Yeah, it's pretty ironic that GM built the engines to be whipped ALL THE TIME and they have reliability issues when they're never run hard.
Dryfter_09_19

Post by Dryfter_09_19 »

So, what would you all recommend for a guy thats not got a lot of money, but wants to be a 2003 Mustang GT? lol... one of my friends has one and he thinks he's all bad because he's got a V8. I just wanna blow him away.
1985 Fiero 2M4
I suck at cars...
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Dryfter_09_19 wrote:So, what would you all recommend for a guy thats not got a lot of money, but wants to be a 2003 Mustang GT? lol... one of my friends has one and he thinks he's all bad because he's got a V8. I just wanna blow him away.
Honestly, I think a 3.4 DOHC would be perfect. You won't "blow him away" with a L67 or 3.4 DOHC, but they should be able to pull him without a problem.

The 3.4 is cheap, pretty easy to find, has a strong midrange, redlines at 7000rpm, and sounds really good. It also takes to modifications REALLY well, and the heads flow amazingly well for a stock set, unlike those of the L67s...

But the L67 is easier/cheaper to mod, and has a stronger lower end. But it will cost much more than the DOHC, be a much harder swap, and won't be that much faster in stock form than the 3.4l DOHC. I think it is acknowledged that a stock L67 is good for about a 13.5, and a stock 3.4 DOHC should be good for about a 13.9. In either case, your small V6 will be pulling away from your friend's high displacement, rumbling V8.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you have a 4 banger? Sell it and buy something with a motor swap already done, or do a swap yourself if you have the know how and money.

No matter what you do to that duke you still wont' even be able to beat a man running a marathon let alone an 03 stang
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:you have a 4 banger? Sell it and buy something with a motor swap already done, or do a swap yourself if you have the know how and money.

No matter what you do to that duke you still wont' even be able to beat a man running a marathon let alone an 03 stang
HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

I agree, you'd be best off buying a car with the swap done. It will be a lot cheaper, and the majority of the work is already done in both cases. There was a nicely done 3.4 DOHC Fiero for sale a couple weeks ago, and his swap was fully documented and done well, and it was cheap IIRC.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

3800sc will kill a pre 05 mustang GT. It will be about even with a new GT, they are mid 13 second cars stock, so is a stock 3800sc powered fiero. The 3.4dohc won't touch a new GT, its a low 14s or high 13s stock motor. It would be about even with an 03 GT.

The motor with the most aftermarket is definitly the 3800sc. Not hard to get into the mid 12s with a moderatly modified 3800sc.

The N* is a mid to high 12s engine stock with a 5 speed. I say mid because Will ran a 12.8 running a 275hp chip on his 300hp N*. There is probibly a few tenths he could gain with a proper tune alone.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Shaun41178(2) wrote: Sell it and buy something with a motor swap already done,
Wave enough cash in front of my face, I can be persuaded.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Woudl you be willign to trade for a 86 Civic? You have to pay for shipping both ways.

/Fiero owner.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

So if a 3800SC is not impressive, what would that make a 3.4DOHC, less then not impressive?

Aaron wrote:
Honestly, I think a 3.4 DOHC would be perfect. You won't "blow him away" with a L67 or 3.4 DOHC, but they should be able to pull him without a problem.

The 3.4 is cheap, pretty easy to find, has a strong midrange, redlines at 7000rpm, and sounds really good. It also takes to modifications REALLY well, and the heads flow amazingly well for a stock set, unlike those of the L67s...

But the L67 is easier/cheaper to mod, and has a stronger lower end. But it will cost much more than the DOHC, be a much harder swap, and won't be that much faster in stock form than the 3.4l DOHC. I think it is acknowledged that a stock L67 is good for about a 13.5, and a stock 3.4 DOHC should be good for about a 13.9. In either case, your small V6 will be pulling away from your friend's high displacement, rumbling V8.
Last edited by eHoward on Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dryfter_09_19

Post by Dryfter_09_19 »

forgot to say... he can't shift worth s*it
1985 Fiero 2M4
I suck at cars...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

It doesnt' matter if he can't shift! He could start in 5th gear and still ass rape you with no lube.

Don't even bother. Its a waste of his gas.
ditch

Post by ditch »

Dryfter_09_19 wrote:So, what would you all recommend for a guy thats not got a lot of money, but wants to be a 2003 Mustang GT? lol... one of my friends has one and he thinks he's all bad because he's got a V8. I just wanna blow him away.
He needs to realize that you don't need a V8 to haul ass.

In my opinion, if you're going for cheap as possible, get a low mileage 3.4 (pushrod), build it up a bit and install a nitrous kit. If you have a 2.8 now it's basically a plug and play install. Install the nitrous kit and have it dynotuned.

I have a built 3.4 putting down about 200 whp. The motor is young and I plan on installing a wet nitrous kit to get it up to 300 whp. I expect to be into the high 12's then. That setup should ass-rape your friends mustang.

I've never done a 3.4 DOHC swap. If that is just as cheap as a 3.4 pushrod just go with the DOHC and nitrous it.

Either way, do it right. Tune it with custom chip, dynotuning, etc.

Dave
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

eHoward wrote:So if a 3800SC is not impressive, what would that make a 3.4DOHC, less then not impressive?
Yes exactly, I doubt I will be impressed by a 3.4 Fiero. I may be happy with it, and it will certainly be better than the 2p8, but I highly doubt it will impress me. Maybe overall it will, but in sheer acceleration, I highly doubt it.

But that is why I have 6 throttle bodies, kickass heads, and mandrel bent tubing for headers.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Aaron wrote:
eHoward wrote:So if a 3800SC is not impressive, what would that make a 3.4DOHC, less then not impressive?
Yes exactly, I doubt I will be impressed by a 3.4 Fiero. I may be happy with it, and it will certainly be better than the 2p8, but I highly doubt it will impress me. Maybe overall it will, but in sheer acceleration, I highly doubt it.

But that is why I have 6 throttle bodies, kickass heads, and mandrel bent tubing for headers.
and you are going to go through all that to get maybe 300hp out of it - making the engine very peaky -

where as you could have just bolted on a few upgrades to a 3800sc or a turbo kit on a 3800na and been faster and had more balls

hense why i went with a turbo on the 3.4dohc