New Caddy XLR not what I expected

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

EBSB52 you realize the N* is my dream swap and that I'm doing a DOHC swap right?

Wow I can't believe you so totally missed my joke. Like seriously, I would've thought by now you could at least read well enough to see my obsession with OHC 4v engines.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

aaron wrote:EBSB52 you realize the N* is my dream swap and that I'm doing a DOHC swap right?

Wow I can't believe you so totally missed my joke. Like seriously, I would've thought by now you could at least read well enough to see my obsession with OHC 4v engines.
I don't really know you and there was no (jk) on there, my bad. I have a 5-year perpetual projetc going now - just took the foywheel down to the machinist to plug and drill. I love the N* swap. I'm gonna look for guys to race and just leave it plain looking and in need of paint. It will be a total sleeper. I have 16's off a Bonerville, but other than that just a N*!!!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

EBSB52 wrote:
aaron wrote:EBSB52 you realize the N* is my dream swap and that I'm doing a DOHC swap right?

I don't really know you and there was no (jk) on there, my bad. I have a 5-year perpetual projetc going now - just took the foywheel down to the machinist to plug and drill. I love the N* swap. I'm gonna look for guys to race and just leave it plain looking and in need of paint. It will be a total sleeper. I have 16's off a Bonerville, but other than that just a N*!!!
You are living my dream, except I don't want mine to be a sleeper. Alright, np, but for the record I hate the 4p9 and everything about it. What a worthless engine. And for all those "low end torque guys", not only do I think a N* makes more low end, but with simple cam timing a DOHC would make more too.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

eHoward wrote:Those vettes winning Le Mans must be flukes.

*smirk*
EBSB52 wrote:
A N* is a great roadracing engine, an LT-1, LS-1, WS-6, etc, is a great drag racing engine - I owned an LT-1 and loved it. But what do I know about real racing / real dangerous sports, all I do is skydive and I used to roadrace GSXR's..... and all this time I thought I was a real racer.....
LOL, yea, the lines aren't as solid as they used to be, considering the WRX could even win drag races and it's definately more of a road / offroad car by virtue of its weight, engine design and general disposition.

The vette tho, what a schweet car. If you took the Stingray Vette from the 70's, did they win any roadraces? I dunno, but I'm guessing not, butthey could get a big block and win a lot of drag races.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:I think the actual packaging comparison was to a Vortec 7400 (IE, current incarnation of BBC).

The concept did not sound like a very engine. 450 ftlbs is just pathetic out of 7.5 litres. It should be making 100 more than that. And of course if it can't make any torque, it's got to spin forever to make HP... 750 HP with 450 TQ indicates a 9.5K redline, which is unreasonable for a production engine, especially from GM and ESPECIALLY from Cadillac.
Did it really have a 9500 red line?

That was a bit of an exaggeration, but with only 450 ftlbs available, it would need to spin to 8.8 to make 750 HP.
So you're obviouslynot a fan of the XV12. Even tho you don't like it, would you like to see it produced?
ITSA6

Post by ITSA6 »

EBSB52 wrote:
eHoward wrote:Those vettes winning Le Mans must be flukes.

*smirk*
EBSB52 wrote:

The vette tho, what a schweet car. If you took the Stingray Vette from the 70's, did they win any roadraces? I dunno, but I'm guessing not, butthey could get a big block and win a lot of drag races.
yep, the sting rays then also were winning races. remember, the technology then was also just as bad on the other cars. but there were lots of vettes racing roadraces.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

aaron wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:

You are living my dream, except I don't want mine to be a sleeper. Alright, np, but for the record I hate the 4p9 and everything about it. What a worthless engine. And for all those "low end torque guys", not only do I think a N* makes more low end, but with simple cam timing a DOHC would make more too.
You are living my dream,..

Dare to dream!!! My N* life: dragging out a 6-month project to over 4 years.... what a fuckin joke I've made of the swap :(

...except I don't want mine to be a sleeper.

No, are ya gonna do 18's and nice paint? That's cool, but it's better to pull up next to a Pusssstain and have him thinking it's a joke and then fuck up his world.

for the record I hate the 4p9 and everything about it. What a worthless engine.

Is that the designation for the XV12? Or what?

And for all those "low end torque guys", not only do I think a N* makes more low end, but with simple cam timing a DOHC would make more too.

Right, and a great example of that argument is to reference a Harley vs any serious sportbike, Gixxer namely. A 1383 Harley vs a 1000 Gixxer andit's not even worth mentioning the comparison. The Harley guys talk about how torque is so much more important, while I don't have the numbers in front of me, I assume that the TQ on the harley is higher than that of the Gixxer, especially if we took a 600 which would still walk all over the HD, that refutes the notion that TQ always beats HP.

This mught be crude, but I think the inertia if the rotating mass @ 10k+ RPM has the same effect as TQ. That's how I explain how high HP / low TQ machines beat high TQ / low HP machines.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

[quote="EBSB52"]for the record I hate the 4p9 and everything about it. What a worthless engine.

No, I'm talking about thr 4.9liter V8 used in late 80s early 90s Cadilacs. Basically all low end torque, and hits a brick wall at 4500rpm.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

aaron wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:for the record I hate the 4p9 and everything about it. What a worthless engine.

No, I'm talking about thr 4.9liter V8 used in late 80s early 90s Cadilacs. Basically all low end torque, and hits a brick wall at 4500rpm.
Oh yea, I would rather do a 3.8 Series 2 N/A if I was on a budget. I guess if you had a free one laying around, why not.

One arg I've had with SBC guys is that if they use the Fiero tranny they are fucked due to the limited RPM range, unless they drive under 100 all the time. The short gearing of the Getrag/Muncie prefers a high revving engine to achieve full range driving. Furthermore, they aren't exactly the strongest trannies around, so lower torque will breed longer life there.

Are you doing a 3.4 TDC swap? If so, that is the bet swap for roadracing IMO. Although since they are all burned up and rebuilds expensive, I wouldn't go that way at this point. I think the shortstar would be more feasable since there are new ones out there. Oh well, if you're gonna go to the trouble of a swap, might as well go N* :)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

EBSB52 wrote:Are you doing a 3.4 TDC swap? If so, that is the bet swap for roadracing IMO. Although since they are all burned up and rebuilds expensive, I wouldn't go that way at this point. I think the shortstar would be more feasable since there are new ones out there. Oh well, if you're gonna go to the trouble of a swap, might as well go N* :)
Yah I am doing a 3.4 swap. I am using a brand new crate motor, the third in my posession.

The rebuilds aren't that expensive believe it or not, about the same as a 3.4PR.

I would love to do a N*, but it is more expensive, MUCH more expensive.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Price is totally dependant on how anle you are on the details. My swap would have been alot cheaper if it wasn't for the Big Stuff 3 ecu. $3500 for a stand alone ecu is pretty expensive. Between the ecu and motor I'm well over $5k into my swap. I figure by the time its done I'll have around $7-8k into it.

Its a very nice rounded motor for a fiero.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I agree 100%.

But crate N*s aren't cheap, 6 Independent throttle bodies don't fit V8s to well, and I'm an idiot...

Yah, those are my non coherent reasons why a steel V6 is better than an aluminum V8.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

EBSB52 wrote:I wonder what the bore/stroke is on that? Is it oversquare? Prolly. If they make it, it should have a 180 degree crank, what do ay think? If it was transverse it could drop under a Fiero....
V12's an I6's all have 120 degree crankshafts. The question of 90 or 180 degree crank is unique to the V8.
V6's of any variety have strange cranks.
EBSB52 wrote: So you're obviouslynot a fan of the XV12. Even tho you don't like it, would you like to see it produced?
I'd like to see GM build a decent V12 (there are no cheap or even mediocre V12's...). I don't think that the concept shown is a decent V12, at least not with the listed specs. 550-600 ftlbs would change my mind, though.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

aaron wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:Are you doing a 3.4 TDC swap? If so, that is the bet swap for roadracing IMO. Although since they are all burned up and rebuilds expensive, I wouldn't go that way at this point. I think the shortstar would be more feasable since there are new ones out there. Oh well, if you're gonna go to the trouble of a swap, might as well go N* :)
Yah I am doing a 3.4 swap. I am using a brand new crate motor, the third in my posession.

The rebuilds aren't that expensive believe it or not, about the same as a 3.4PR.

I would love to do a N*, but it is more expensive, MUCH more expensive.
Brand new, how'd ya get that and how much?

Aren't the cams real steep on the 3.4 TDC?

A N* isn't that bad, unless you need a crate motor. I bought a 99 DeVille rollover for 3k in 2001. Had 18k on the clock and ran real well. I got 600 for all 4 airbags and sensors, deal for them cause all that shit would cost 2500 at GM. I sold other shit too, so I think my final cost was around 1500.

The Holly 900 or whatever you use is 1500, so that's a big expense. It really isn't that bad tho.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

3.4l DOHC crate motors pop up every now and then, for around $800-$1500. I picked one up for $1100, the next for $1000, and the last one for $950. Worth every penny, as the one that is running runs better than ANY 3.4 I've EVER felt, and put out the most hp and torque of any stock or even slighty modded 3.4, and it was bone stock. It runs perfectly.

I don't consider replacing the cams standard on a rebuild, they are generally well-oiled. But yes, they are expensive.

I could probably find a N* for not too much, but the swap is a lot harder (Thus more expensive), it's a tighter fit, and there are more mods needed than with the 3.4 to make it work. So I figure out I'll start out with the easy swap, Cryzone style, and when I fuck it up then upgrade to a N*.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

aaron wrote: So I figure out I'll start out with the easy swap, Cryzone style, and when I fuck it up then upgrade to a N*.
I didn't do a 3.4dohc because it was easy, I did it because everyone was talking it up. Definitly a fun engine in a fiero, but after only a few months I was already used to the power and then it felt broken.... heh.

And then I did break it, broke the stock clutch right in half. Didn't realize the dog bone mount was also cracked until I had it out.

If I did that swap again, I'd do it way differently. For the money I have into my N* swap, I could have had a 400hp turbo 3.4dohc easily.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

crzyone wrote:For the money I have into my N* swap, I could have had a 400hp turbo 3.4dohc easily.
:thumbleft: thats what I'm aiming for