Get ready to surrender your rights

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

http://cbs4denver.com/local/local_story_333145833.html

Woman Arrested For Not Showing ID At Federal Ctr.

Save It
Email this Article Email It
Print this Article Print It

(AP) DENVER A commuter arrested for refusing to show identification when a bus entered federal property is fighting two misdemeanor charges with help from the American Civil Liberties Union.

Deborah Davis, 50, was taken off a Regional Transportation District bus, handcuffed and cited on Sept. 26 at the Denver Federal Center, a sprawling campus of federal offices in the west Denver suburb of Lakewood.

Carl Rusnok of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which oversees the officers who arrested Davis, said federal officials have been checking the IDs of anyone entering the center since the 1995 bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma City.

The ACLU has agreed to help defend Davis, who is charged with violating laws governing access to federal property and obeying signs.

Mark Silverstein, the legal director of the ACLU in Colorado, said the officers were out of line.

"We don't believe the federal government has the legal authority to put Deborah Davis in jail, or even make her pay a fine, just because she declined the government's request for identification," he said.

"Passengers aren't required to carry passports or any other identification documents in order to ride to work on a public bus," he said.

RTD spokesman Scott Reed said federal center guards ask to see bus passengers' IDs only when the center is on a heightened security alert.

U.S. attorney's spokesman Jeff Dorschner said Monday the matter was under review.

Davis is scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court on Dec. 9.

(© 2005 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

DiggityBiggity wrote:http://cbs4denver.com/local/local_story_333145833.html

Woman Arrested For Not Showing ID At Federal Ctr.

Save It
Email this Article Email It
Print this Article Print It

(AP) DENVER A commuter arrested for refusing to show identification when a bus entered federal property is fighting two misdemeanor charges with help from the American Civil Liberties Union.

Deborah Davis, 50, was taken off a Regional Transportation District bus, handcuffed and cited on Sept. 26 at the Denver Federal Center, a sprawling campus of federal offices in the west Denver suburb of Lakewood.

Carl Rusnok of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which oversees the officers who arrested Davis, said federal officials have been checking the IDs of anyone entering the center since the 1995 bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma City.

The ACLU has agreed to help defend Davis, who is charged with violating laws governing access to federal property and obeying signs.

Mark Silverstein, the legal director of the ACLU in Colorado, said the officers were out of line.

"We don't believe the federal government has the legal authority to put Deborah Davis in jail, or even make her pay a fine, just because she declined the government's request for identification," he said.

"Passengers aren't required to carry passports or any other identification documents in order to ride to work on a public bus," he said.

RTD spokesman Scott Reed said federal center guards ask to see bus passengers' IDs only when the center is on a heightened security alert.

U.S. attorney's spokesman Jeff Dorschner said Monday the matter was under review.

Davis is scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court on Dec. 9.

(© 2005 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
This place has been that Nazi for decades, just because we don't see it on the media doesn't mean it hasn't been there.

An old friend of mine was a passenger in a car that was pulled over by the cops. The cop asked for ID, he refused. The cops asked again and again, every time he refused. They finally arrested him and he spent the night in jail and was OR'd the next morning. Then when he went before the judge, the judge threw it out with disgust.

So the result is that the pigs will continue to harrass and the courts will likely throw the charges out, unless a pig gets injured then they bend over backwards to defend them. Net result is that there are deprivations that go unpunished.

As a sidenote, there was a black guy at the anti-Bush rally who was wearing a hat that read, "I HATE PIGS." Of course there were pigs everywhere too. :thumbleft:
zonyl
not really

Post by zonyl »

EBSB52 wrote:
zonyl wrote:
crzyone wrote:The Federalies are comming to get us!

In all seriousless, like terrorists are going to care if a bank or hotel gets randomly checked... I think its so it looks like they are trying, however lame it actually is.
People want to see them look like they are, so they are.

One of the problems that the FBI has is finding people. From what I understand, the FBI/NSA gathers all sorts of good information on who is who and doing what. They have a hard time trying to find the people associated with the names / aliases though. This dragnet, however simple it seems, will hopefully snare a few individuals who are trying to remain unlocated and getting money from their friends overseas.
This reminds me of the logic behind the Chandler Hispanic Roundup. Yep, Chandler Sheriff Bobby Joe Harris, former, after he refused to fire Chandler Pig Lovelace after his second murder, then ironically Lovelace sued Harris after the pig couldn't get his job back, rounded up all the Hispanic-looking people downtown w/o checking ID, took them downtown ans sorted them out. Problem is that there were several US-born Hispancs in there, some greencarded, and some illegals. As I recall, that cost the city about 8 million.

I assume you are conservative, Zonyl, so with that I was under the assumotion that cons were supposed to be for small, unintrusive government.....
I just like to play Devil's advocate when an issue is raised and I sense everyone generally agrees with it. In this case I was trying hard to put myself in the position of the average joe voter who is supporting this type of policy. Sometimes I gather some insight in trying to defend the things I summarily dislike. I can only get away with flip-flopping on internet forums, because everyone else I talk to in real life, knows me too well. ;)
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

zonyl wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:
zonyl wrote:
crzyone wrote:The Federalies are comming to get us!

In all seriousless, like terrorists are going to care if a bank or hotel gets randomly checked... I think its so it looks like they are trying, however lame it actually is.
People want to see them look like they are, so they are.

One of the problems that the FBI has is finding people. From what I understand, the FBI/NSA gathers all sorts of good information on who is who and doing what. They have a hard time trying to find the people associated with the names / aliases though. This dragnet, however simple it seems, will hopefully snare a few individuals who are trying to remain unlocated and getting money from their friends overseas.
This reminds me of the logic behind the Chandler Hispanic Roundup. Yep, Chandler Sheriff Bobby Joe Harris, former, after he refused to fire Chandler Pig Lovelace after his second murder, then ironically Lovelace sued Harris after the pig couldn't get his job back, rounded up all the Hispanic-looking people downtown w/o checking ID, took them downtown ans sorted them out. Problem is that there were several US-born Hispancs in there, some greencarded, and some illegals. As I recall, that cost the city about 8 million.

I assume you are conservative, Zonyl, so with that I was under the assumotion that cons were supposed to be for small, unintrusive government.....
I just like to play Devil's advocate when an issue is raised and I sense everyone generally agrees with it. In this case I was trying hard to put myself in the position of the average joe voter who is supporting this type of policy. Sometimes I gather some insight in trying to defend the things I summarily dislike. I can only get away with flip-flopping on internet forums, because everyone else I talk to in real life, knows me too well. ;)

I just like to play Devil's advocate when an issue is raised and I sense everyone generally agrees with it.

That's cool. I like dissent, even if it's artificial. Either way, your personal position doesn't affect the issue, as if it did that would be an Ad Hominem to weight the issues on anyone's personal opinion. I was just curious.

In this case I was trying hard to put myself in the position of the average joe voter who is supporting this type of policy.

That's the scary part, the average voter is uneducated and uninformed. But even if the average voter was for this dictatorial form of intrusion, the US Const is supposed to install protections regardless, so that's only a small part of the consideration.

Sometimes I gather some insight in trying to defend the things I summarily dislike.

Absolutely, the best way to argue for a position is to learn how to argue against it.

I can only get away with flip-flopping on internet forums, because everyone else I talk to in real life, knows me too well. ;)

So you are personally against this form of Naziism? Even the most radical of the Repubs, not saying you are, are against this, which tells me that the right extreme of the Repubs are going to far right. That's the beauty of the system, if it works, that there are so many balances in place to prevent extremism. Sad part is that the system isn't listening to voters and are circumventing the balances, so things are getting real Nazi. I just wonder when the apple cart is going to get upset? Will it take another Kent State to have a wakeup? Will the new Kent State be how many times the 4 dead then?

I bet other countries citizens aren't real jealous now.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Hello? Did anyone notice where the lady was at when she was arrested? She was entering a Federal facility, not walking down the street to the grocery store on the corner. They have every right to ask for ID, which they didn't even require most of the time.

I don't expect to make my commute through an Air Force base and waltz right through security, do I?
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

DiggityBiggity wrote:
JohnnyK wrote:Thats actually one of the stupidest plans I've ever heard of. Thats my deep thought.
No shit it's stupid... It's only in place to keep clamping down the thought pattern that the police have total control, and Americans have no rights... if they tried to do anything like this a couple years back, Americans would be outraged... now it's "ok" to protect us from "terrorism". It's fucking bullshit. Those who would give up freedom for security, neither deserve freedom, nor are they secure.

Your concerned leader

Diggity"How do you cook a frog? Slowly turn up the heat"Biggity
I know. You get people scared of osmething, you can do whatever you want as long as it 'protects' them. Lets not forget how often the word WMD and 'dirty bomb' was thrown around the media for the past couple of years. Now everyone uses it in their vocabularly like they are an expert.. The time they found a 50 year old canister of Mustard gas or whatever it was in iraq "Look, they found WMD!!! It was all worth it!".. Throw out words like "Shock and awe" and it makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy and tough. It's ridiculous. Everything is terrorism now (isn't file sharing?!). It's a joke, and I don't see how people are going along with this.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

Indy wrote:Hello? Did anyone notice where the lady was at when she was arrested? She was entering a Federal facility, not walking down the street to the grocery store on the corner. They have every right to ask for ID, which they didn't even require most of the time.

I don't expect to make my commute through an Air Force base and waltz right through security, do I?
Uhm, she was on a bus dude.. that passed through the base... on a public bus
Indy

Post by Indy »

DiggityBiggity wrote:
Indy wrote:Hello? Did anyone notice where the lady was at when she was arrested? She was entering a Federal facility, not walking down the street to the grocery store on the corner. They have every right to ask for ID, which they didn't even require most of the time.

Uhm, she was on a bus dude.. that passed through the base... on a public bus
And? Taking a public bus through private property doesn't make it any less private.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

We'll see who wins the court case