ECM question (edited)

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

slow'n'steady

ECM question (edited)

Post by slow'n'steady »

ive decided to just edit this for my new questions rather than make up a new thread and waste space.

1. I am about ready to drop in my 3.4L DOHC howener i dont yet have an ECM. my fiero trans is a 5speed, so i have to get an ECM from a manual car correct?

2. anyone have a pic of a COMPLETE engine wiring harness? im not sure if i have the entire thing. it has two big connections at the end, but it jus seems really small to me.

3. how much nitrous can a 3.4L with minor upgrades handle? engine has P&P heads, intake, throttle body.
Last edited by slow'n'steady on Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

I highly recommend 16" wheels - healthy compromise between improved performance and softer road feel

12" while wheels will require coilovers and probably more modifications than that - I think 10" wide is the most you can go with coilovers and no fender flares

7 or 8" wide wheels up front are good

you are also going to have a harder time finding the tires you want in 15's
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Kohburn wrote:I highly recommend 16" wheels - healthy compromise between improved performance and softer road feel

you are also going to have a harder time finding the tires you want in 15's
Word. Plus I think you may find that a 15" wheel of that size with tire would look like an offorad truck set up. You can still be old school with 16s.
Oversteer

Post by Oversteer »

I think if you could get some adapters, the honey comb or diamond spoke (same style as 86 and new GT's and Formula's) wheels off of the Firebird's would look sweet on a Fiero. They have that stock look, but they are bigger and have a bigger offset.
He called the shit poop
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: rim/wheel question

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

slow'n'steady wrote:OK closing up my 3.4LDOHC swap, ive decided i need some rims, i dont want to go with big diameter wheels, i want wide wheels!

im thinkin 15x12 on the back and 15x7 front. i want the rear wheels to stick out jus a lil bit past the body , jus to make it look mean! what offset will i need to get that look.
12" wide wheels won't fit under stock bodywork without a lot of frame surgery.

17" is the smallest diameter wheel in which anything wider than 8" will fit.
16x8-25 is the widest 16 that will fit on the rear.
You can go to 17x9-45 with coil overs and stock bodywork. Beyond that you have to get creative.

Front wheel/tire should be approx 80% as wide as the rear for best handling.
whipped

Post by whipped »

12" wide? damn, it's a 3.4 dohc, not a top fuel dragster.....
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I'm still working on it but here's an early version of my handy dandy TireCalc program.
Matches tire width to weight distribution, tells you the rim size that is ideal for that tire width, and also calculates gear ratio changes from tire diameter.

EDIT to remove URL. Apparently my hosting service wont let me load exe files. Message me on AIM (series8217) if you want to check it out.

If you guys want any more functions added or find errors in the algorithms (I'm sure there's some!) let me know.
I'll probably add in a wheel offset/backspacing calculation next unless there's something else that is more needed.
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

OK explain to me why it wouldnt work. say i go with 10" wide rear tires, as long as they have the same backspacing as my stock rims they wouldnt hit the frame. ganted they will prolly stick out a lil bit.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

slow'n'steady wrote:OK explain to me why it wouldnt work. say i go with 10" wide rear tires, as long as they have the same backspacing as my stock rims they wouldnt hit the frame. ganted they will prolly stick out a lil bit.
Yes, in that case they would work. They would also greatly stress your wheel bearings because, and it would look like ass.
emod19

Post by emod19 »

I use 15x10s on all four corners of my E Modified autocross car. The most backspacing you can use with coilovers on the rear is 5 1/2 inches. The wheels still stick out about 3 inches.

www.ssscc.org/2005/pics/event03/pages/DSCN4195.htm

Steve

P.S. Sorry if the link doesn't work, I suck at the internet.
1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
Removed it's soul, Gave it some balls.
emod19

Post by emod19 »

Holy Crap, It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't suck as bad as I thought!

Steve
1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Fast looking car.
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

do you have a front or rear shot, so i can see how it looks? i like the look of the back tires stickin out a lil bit.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

whats powering that ish?
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

I have some 15x8 and 15x10 Billet Specialties wheels for a Fiero. The front is about 35mm offset, the rear 10" wheels are 0 offset and will stick out about 2-3". They were on a wide body IMSA Fiero. The rims bolt right up and you won't need coilovers to run them. They have 225/50 tires on front and 285/40 Yokohama tires on them, but are pretty much shot. Rims are in very good condition and wheel weights have always been mounted on the back. New they cost $285 for the front and $295 for the back wheels, each.
http://www.billetspecialties.com/item.a ... d=17&pid=1
Let me know if you're interested (or anyone).
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

When did Billet Specialties start making wheels that I like?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

slow'n'steady wrote:OK explain to me why it wouldnt work. say i go with 10" wide rear tires, as long as they have the same backspacing as my stock rims they wouldnt hit the frame. ganted they will prolly stick out a lil bit.
It will stick out a LOT, not just a little bit.
As was said above, 5.5" is the max backspacing useable with 15's. You can have a tiny bit more with 16's, but not much. 17's are large enough to clear the hub carrier and can have more backspacing than anything smaller.

About 3" of front spacing is the max that will stay under stock bodywork.
emod19

Post by emod19 »

It's powered by an old school Buick 3.8 v6 built around a 85 fwd metric block. It puts 170 hp and 200 tq to the rear wheels. Doesn't take that much to make a 1900 pound car go fast.

http://www.ssscc.org/2003_events/e4&5_0 ... cn0864.jpg

Steve
1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

BUMP for new questions.
DreX

Post by DreX »

The ecm is the same, you will need the chip for manual. 91-93 odb1 is the way I did it.

Harness integration
www.dohcfiero.com

as for the other no clue

DreX