Stock engines vs fiero installations

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

aaron wrote:And what motor do you have?
Late model 3.4 DOHC...
Come on aaron!
S8n

Post by S8n »

DreX wrote:Hi Im new here.

I might have to add, there is something else than just numbers. I found that even with a pretty much stock swaped engine it seems a lot faster in a Fiero than they usually is. I will try to explain my self the best I can.

I have the feeling that my car isnt all that fast or powerfull but when I race other cars they seems to feel slower. Basically in 2nd gear the look like if they went in reverse instead of keeping up. But inside the Fiero doenst look that fast. Is like for that kind of pull does not feel like I cant move from the seat due the G's. Feels almost normal pull from any other car, just see the car besides you like going in reverse. My bro noticed the same with his moded Boat Anchor.

I can say that all ppl I raced they understimate the Fiero. Certenly they thought wrong. I even raced a Grand National with a mean v8 and huge MT. I was scared to lose but the Fiero never let me down. In sec gear was the same as all others it fall behind, he couldnt recover from there. And we did it twice from 35mph roll. After the race he didnt look at me when I waited for him. LOL

So far I have been pretty sucessfull, undefeated.
Grang National- v8 moded
2005 Mustang Mach1
350z
s2000
2G eclipse turbo
3G eclipse v6
3 mustangs gts including 5.0
4 civics si turbo
tiburon v6
and waht ever i forgot LOL

Just some observevations.

DreX
Cool stuff. What all do you have done to your car? Where in Orlando are you?
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

DreX's setup is clean and kicks ass. DreX, could you start a new thread in tech that shows all your mods? It probably belongs in its own thread rather than here. Would be nice to showcase it.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Series8217 wrote:DreX's setup is clean and kicks ass. DreX, could you start a new thread in tech that shows all your mods? It probably belongs in its own thread rather than here. Would be nice to showcase it.
I'd like to see it again too, I don't exactly remember your swap.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
DreX

Post by DreX »

3.4 DOHC

My Fiero

DreX
DreX

Post by DreX »

Thanks for the comliments Series8217

Im new to this forum, I will say it kick ass 2.

Here is a list of what I have done to it.

Its a crate +96 engine. Have a 98 stiker in the head tho
Crate Isuzu MK7 tranny from a sunfire 96 2.2
Aluminum flywheel
Stage 4 clutch from clutchnet
UD Pulley
no ps pump - obvious
Custom headers high flow shorties
2.5 mandrel ben exhaust
race cat
2.5 dynomax ultraflo welded straigth tru
no EGR
timed cams
LS1 TB
Custom TB pipe
Iridium plugs
Magnecor race wires
4" Weapon R Dragon filter
4" CAI
Hyper Ground Kit
Custom Chip - No speed limit and No rev limit
No tune waht so ever :( But will fix that in a while

Intrax spings
Gabriel Shoks
all poly every where it can be
aluminum cradle bushings
RCC bump steer fix
rear sway bar
x-drill/sloted disks
carbomet pads
aluminum radiator

All other mods are cosmetics and not need to mention.
If I done something extra I forget. But that is pretty much what I have done. I must say Im very pleased of how it turn out.

My nephiew had a 350z and when drove my car sold the car and boung a 2005 vette. LOL When I turbo my car he will have to get a buggatti or something like that. LOL

Fieros rock

http://www.centennialpr.net/webdrive/ho ... 010005.AVI
http://www.centennialpr.net/webdrive/ho ... 010006.AVI

DreX
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Sounds great. Has more bite to it than my set up, maybe because of the headers.
Did you get your hydraulic TOB problem fixed? I seem to recall you were blowing them out a while back.
DreX

Post by DreX »

Yep, i fix that. I had a 200% over stock pressure plate and that was blowing the TOB. LOL Too much for a GM part. hehe I ended using a stock pressureplate and have work since then no prob.

I had to take out the craddle 7 times. LOL I can do it in my sleep, ROFL.

I love this pic

BTW, that tranny feels more light that the Isuzu form the Fiero. I think is the diff. Its smaller cuz it uses magnetic speed sensor. I can turn the tranny where the clutch engage and it feels half of the resistance that the Isuzu form the Fiero. I have one as spare, but the MK7 is hella strong, for now.

DreX
DreX

Post by DreX »

Series8217 wrote:DreX's setup is clean and kicks ass. DreX, could you start a new thread in tech that shows all your mods? It probably belongs in its own thread rather than here. Would be nice to showcase it.
I will do it tomorrow if my baby girl let me to. LOL Babys are a had full. No more spare time. Its all babys time. LOL

DreX
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Awesome! Doesn't that Isuzu also have the lower final gearing? I was thinking about getting one of these to replace mine. The hydraulic TOB cleans up the engine bay a bit. My slave bracket is pretty ugly since I had to make a new one to relocate the slave for the shorter release arm (to clear the exhaust crossover).

Is your tensioner loose from the front cover in that pic or does yours hang down like that normally?
DreX

Post by DreX »

[quote="S8nCool stuff. What all do you have done to your car? Where in Orlando are you?[/quote]

Im at my moms place at the moment. Its in avalon, east orlando. The car still on my house in Spring Hill. I will be moving here soon, but since there is no 2 much space here I left the car there. I will be moving to some apartments for a while, so possible the car will stay in sping hill until we bought a new house. That is if we decide to move here. I will building a new Fiero to move my performance parts to it. Cuz a dumb bitch hit my car while doing reverse in middle of the street. I was so pissed. Anyway, I will a new fiero to start from 0 with a new frame and make it what it was intended to be. I had to finish the car in a hury to move to FL. Never the less I make all the best way I could in the less time possible. I had to cut some corners but are hard noticeble. The car still runs after the hit but im so picky and want another frame. HEhehe

Im basically w\o friends. LOL I used to roll with my bro in PR he have a Fiero too. We work in both cars and street race all weekends. Oddly not to many ppl wanted to race me. I guess they where intimidated by how the car looks and sounds. Its slamed to the ground and troaty sound in a 2 seater small car. HEhehe

DreX
DreX

Post by DreX »

Actually the final drive is 3.58, and the secnd synchr are triple. So its stronger. BTW, the TOB its expensive. They go for 230 form GM. ouch.

About the pulley, i put it that way to not leave it laying arround.

BTW, its 3:06 am. LOL

DreX
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

DreX wrote:Actually the final drive is 3.58, and the secnd synchr are triple. So its stronger. BTW, the TOB its expensive. They go for 230 form GM. ouch.

About the pulley, i put it that way to not leave it laying arround.

BTW, its 3:06 am. LOL

DreX
My Isuzu is a 3.35 (from an 88 Fiero coupe).
Good 2nd gear Fieros are very important for this motor ;-). How many miles do you have on the setup with that transmission so far?
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

DreX,
Awesome car. I saved all the pics.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
DreX

Post by DreX »

I have done 3 oil changes so far. let say like 6k, maybe less. I dont use the car as daily driver and dont use it too often ether. My baby and wife hogs all the time. LOL Its srtange how things are sorted out in life. The basic rule of thumb is when you have kids you are a slave to them. hheheheh

I bougth both of them new - 0miles. So far as for reliability the tranny have hold pretty good. Sicnce the milage is low its kinda overstatement how reliable is. The abuse it have hold is not much. I dont drive like there is no tomorrow every time. Just in races(if is needed) and a few special ocations.

One of them(the more abuse it got) I was in friends speed shop in Spring Hill. I worked there for a few months before my baby born. He have 2 race cars(drag) and 2 street/race cars. Well the story goes like this. One saturday we were closing the shop and he was driveing one of the race car inside, but he started to do some burnouts. Drag strip style, over and over and over. I got pumped out and move my Fiero to the rear part of the shop where he was. He never saw my car doing anything else than drive away like normal drive is. So I line up and he told me to do some burnout, I give him the evil grin. I never had make burnout on purpouse in the car. I know how well it pulls so its easy. Well I reved twice for making noise(LOL) and just drop the hammer @2k, It spin the tires imediately to rev limit. At that time I had the stock chip so i let it go until cut off. But never let the pedal go. LOL That WAS AWESOME!!! If I had a cam corder that day...... Everytime I hit the rev limit the shift light flashed me, but since the rev limit cut it the flash light actualy was like a disco party inside. LOL After 4~6 "floating times" by the rev limit it kinda stop for 2 sec and limit again. That was the most awesome burnout sound I ever heard. was like grrrwaaaatatatatata-grrrwaaaatatatatata-grrrwaaaatatatatata-grrrwaaaatatatatata-grrrwaaaatatatatata.........
basucally the car didnt move much, but when the car started to move forward while fishtailing I slamed second and again grrrwaaaatatatatata-grrrwaaaatatatatata-grrrwaaaatatatatata-grrrwaaaatatatatata-grrrwaaaatatatatata......... then third correcting the fishtail grrrwaaaatatatatata-grrrwaaaatatatatata-grrrwaaaatatatatata-grrrwaaaatatatatata-grrrwaaaatatatatata......... LOL Was so intnese that I pull back and do it again. HEHEHEH After finishing he was with WTF! Face. ehhe He couldnt belive how that lil car could do that. Then I show him the engine and what I done. He was very happy, LOL and the car wasnt is. Then he show me a race pheriferal 13B for the other race car. Those engine are awesome. 2 bad you cant put one in a fiero unless doing a longitudinal mod. By the end is way too expensive.

Rotaries rocks. 185 lbs w/o accesories. But they use a lot of gas and are expensive to race build. But certenrly are awesome race engines. I learn a lot of rotaries with him. We build an 1g RX7 for his son, but never got the chance to race him.

Well back to the subject. The tranny hold there w/o any problem. But thinking more deeply, trannys broke when you have a lot of traction and power. Since I was pinning all the time there was not huge load on the transmission. The power went to the burning tires.

As for my evaluation in terms of parts I like. Im happy with it, its pretty solid. But I whould prefeer better gears. Let me explain my self. 1st gear is useless can not pass hal throttle or will spin, hits the rev limt super quick, always have to short shift or go easy on pedal. 2nd gear is the shit, pulls like a train, is the best gear IMO, but cant shift into 3rd at 7200, kinda missit always. Perhaps I need a short throw shifter to do it quicker. 3rd gear it dont pull as the same way than 2nd but you feel gainig speed at a nice rate. 4th gear its about keep gaing speed, not feel the pull but the speedo keeps going up. 5th is the crusing gear, the only time I actually used it for racing the ECM kill me in 4th so there was no use for it. Now that I have no rev and speed limit i can keep going and going and going... LOLOL

I think the issue that it takes less energy to move the tranny helps in the acceleration department. Possible its why I pull hard from other cars in 2nd gear. After that its hard to recover, leading to a win. Thats is why i shut down @100mph. If by that time he havent passed me he never will.

Hope this helped you.

If need more info let me know.

DreX
DreX

Post by DreX »

donk_316 wrote:DreX,
Awesome car. I saved all the pics.
I have more if you want them. Hmmm.... I will make a post with the build and post pics in there.

BTW, thaks for the comliments.

DreX
DreX

Post by DreX »

aaron wrote:

I finish my car before you reached Old Europe. Thats why you dont remember saw my swap. If I dont wrong, I think I finished my swap before you wanted to start build the headers for your z34.

DreX
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

DreX wrote:
aaron wrote:

I finish my car before you reached Old Europe. Thats why you dont remember saw my swap. If I dont wrong, I think I finished my swap before you wanted to start build the headers for your z34.

DreX
Then that was a while...

Dude seriously, that car looks great, and your swap looks very clean from those pics. I really like it. I remember talking about the headers, and you said over at 60* that you eventually planned on turboeing it. Is that still in the works?

Also, can you get a picture of the custom intake arm and LS1 throttle body? I want to compare it to how I built mine.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
DreX

Post by DreX »

Thanks for the compliments. I made a topic phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2137

You can look at the TB intake pipe there.

As for the turbo, it will happens some what in the end of the year. I have to sort other issues appart fromt he car. Also possible buy another Fiero and send it to paint and prepare the frame to swap the performance parts form car to that one. Then I will boost it. I will every one knows.

Keep the good work

DreX
S8n

Post by S8n »

DreX wrote:
S8n wrote:Cool stuff. What all do you have done to your car? Where in Orlando are you?
Im at my moms place at the moment. Its in avalon, east orlando. The car still on my house in Spring Hill. I will be moving here soon, but since there is no 2 much space here I left the car there. I will be moving to some apartments for a while, so possible the car will stay in sping hill until we bought a new house. That is if we decide to move here. I will building a new Fiero to move my performance parts to it. Cuz a dumb bitch hit my car while doing reverse in middle of the street. I was so pissed. Anyway, I will a new fiero to start from 0 with a new frame and make it what it was intended to be. I had to finish the car in a hury to move to FL. Never the less I make all the best way I could in the less time possible. I had to cut some corners but are hard noticeble. The car still runs after the hit but im so picky and want another frame. HEhehe

Im basically w\o friends. LOL I used to roll with my bro in PR he have a Fiero too. We work in both cars and street race all weekends. Oddly not to many ppl wanted to race me. I guess they where intimidated by how the car looks and sounds. Its slamed to the ground and troaty sound in a 2 seater small car. HEhehe

DreX
Car looks awesome! I'm in South Orlando, Hunter's Green area. The car is in Spring Hill, FL? If so, I know the feeling. I'm building my car at my Mom's house, just outside of Dade City. PITA to drive or ride back and forth to work on it. If you want to hang out some time, let me know!
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls