DreX Fiero Build Up - 3.4 DOHC Swap

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

DreX

DreX Fiero Build Up - 3.4 DOHC Swap

Post by DreX »

Hi guys, Im new in this Forum but not in the Fiero scene. I have a 86 GT with a +96 3.4 DOHC engine and MK7 tranny. I want to share the swap pics and info with the members.

Here is a list of what have been done.

Its a crate +96 engine. Have a 98 stiker in the head tho
Crate Isuzu MK7 tranny from a sunfire 96 2.2
Aluminum flywheel
Stage 4 clutch from clutchnet
UD Pulley
no ps pump - obvious
Custom headers high flow shorties
2.5 mandrel ben exhaust
race cat
2.5 dynomax ultraflo welded straigth tru
no EGR
timed cams
Holley 255lph fuel pump
aeroquip fuel lines
.10 micron race fuel filter
LS1 TB
Custom TB pipe
Iridium plugs
Magnecor race wires
4" Weapon R Dragon filter
4" CAI
Hyper Ground Kit
Custom Chip - No speed limit and No rev limit
No tune waht so ever :( But will fix that in a while

Intrax spings
Gabriel Shoks
all poly every where it can be
aluminum cradle bushings
RCC bump steer fix
rear sway bar
x-drill/sloted disks
carbomet pads
stainless steel chassis brake lines
stainless braided caliper lines
aluminum radiator

And now the pics. A pic say 1000 words ...

It looks so good there..

This was the first test fit in the car. Found the the TB wasnt going to work where placed.

This is how it set in the battery area. I move the battery to the front and place the ECM in there. Also cut the "inside fender" area for a future vent to the engine.

This the new TB pipe adapter. Its mandrel bend for better air flow.

How purty, looks so menace.

This is before installation. Before the new stuff get dirty and ugly. LOL

Top view

Outside Pic of the car

Griffin Aluminum Radiator

Interior Pics
New Black carpet, carbon fiber look stiker(its cheaper, besides real cf for interiors is un useful), momo steering wheel, Ichibahn shift knob, short shifter, painted all black, fiberglas headliner, audiobahn competition speakers and no radio LOL

Wires harness and ECM

LS1 TB shoot

Fuel Filter relocation

Aluminum Flywheel

Solid engine mount

Engine/Tranny on craddle

Engine Bay paint and mods

Latest engine mod. Flex pipe in the exhaust, I broke the crossove pipe.

Tranny

And now how I feel when drive the Fiero

I hope you guys have enjoy it. Any question just let me know.

DreX
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

lol!

ok...here goes...

1.Who built your wiring harness? If it was you what did you use for reference material.

2.Who built your headers cause i want them.

3.Explain "timed cams". What have you done. Im especially interested cause its a 96 like mine.

4.WHo sells the underdrive pulley?

5.What app is the rad from?
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Wow. Let me be the first to say welcome aboard. I almost want you to move to Orlando. hehee.. be taht much closer to me.

Sweet ride and nice swap. Would love to see some dyno numbers if you ever get around to it. Remember seeing it up for sale after it was hit but looks like you plan to keep it now. Its def a nice car if you can get it fixed.

Enjoy your stay. By the way we love tech articles here as that what this forum is about so if you have anything more to share feel free.

Shaun
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
DreX

Post by DreX »

donk_316 wrote:lol!

ok...here goes...

1.Who built your wiring harness? If it was you what did you use for reference material.

2.Who built your headers cause i want them.

3.Explain "timed cams". What have you done. Im especially interested cause its a 96 like mine.

4.WHo sells the underdrive pulley?

5.What app is the rad from?
1. I did it. I made write up about it, look here -> www.dohcfiero.com

2. I design them and a local guy in Puerto Rico made them. I dont think could be possible for him to make another set. I dont have his phone number and are the kind of guy you have to be there. I can try to talk to my bro if he can get there, but with his schedule I dont beleive he can pull it off. BUT what I can do is to post the pics of the headers when I pick them up from his shop. I ceramic coat them later. He dont have the equipment for that. Basically he does headers and exhaust, nothing more. You can get the pics to a local builder and duplicate mines. With the pics he can make them.

3. Well, I have done several diff times. The best one was the first, oddly I didnt marked or recorded the settings. I have tried to remember but I had an accident when teenager and I can remeber very well since then. Boomer. :( What im using right now is -8* int, -13* exh

4. The place its called Fast Forward Performance -> http://www.fastfwdperformance.com/

5. Its a Griffing Radiator from summit. I remember it was the GM based with smallest height. You will have to cut some material formt he Fiero frame to make it fit. I think its this one -> http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Hope helped you

DreX
DreX

Post by DreX »

Hi Shawn, well I will take the car to a dyno in a few months. When move over here if I do. The Fiero still in Spring Hill. Once we buy a house then I bring it over. So it will be a while after I can do anithing at all with car. But I have my external HD here and can contribute.

I was going to sale the car. Desesperate times. I was so depressed. But I will keep it and move the parts to a new frame. And do it as I was intended to.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Im all about performance and funtional mods. No the $5 mod for 50hp. LOL Also not paying for all the work, I really love to work on my car, thats the fun.

DreX
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I am very very impressed. I love seeing engine swaps that were done that cleanly. You used great parts and spent money and time to clean everything up and make it look good.

Excellent job.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
DreX

Post by DreX »

Aaron, thanks for the compliments. I always beleived that when you do a swap take your time and do things the rigth way. While sort out things from the swap there will be time to clean and paint.

Thanks again

DreX
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I agree and hopefully will spend the time and money to get mine looking half as good as that.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Looks really good man.

Love that hydraulic throwout bearing.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

The car looks awesome! Your swap is really clean! Where did you get the headder flanges? I know a few people who want headders and we need flanges!
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Fast88Fiero wrote:The car looks awesome! Your swap is really clean! Where did you get the headder flanges? I know a few people who want headders and we need flanges!
You can find them on Ebay, but I forgot the seller's name.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
whipped

Post by whipped »

DreX wrote: 5. Its a Griffing Radiator from summit. I remember it was the GM based with smallest height. You will have to cut some material formt he Fiero frame to make it fit. I think its this one -> http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku
Wow, that's f'in cheap for a 15.5" tall aluminum radiator! Sounds even better than the aluminum rad that I was thinking about. Only problem is it's 27.5" wide, which yeah, is wider than stock and will require side-metal-removage. Stock is 24.5" wide total with the side tanks.

not to hijack, but I just found this:

Aluminum rad

24.5" wide, which is the stock fiero's width,
17" tall, 2" taller than stock, so it may have to be angled back a bit more...

it does have larger in/outlet, but it's only $169!
DreX

Post by DreX »

whipped - That looks like a winner. If you can fit it in there there should be no problem. I decided to go with the griffin cuz the reputation and I knew it will fit. Try to see if that radiator height will work, remember that the radiator bracket is very close to the hood.

Fast88Fiero - Aaron is right, I saw them on eBay a while back. Cant remember the name ether. :(

eHoward - Thanks.

DreX
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Excellent looking swap. I love crate engines, so clean, no road grime.

Looks well done, love the look of the shorty headers. Anything is better than the factory manifolds.

:thumbleft:
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

whipped wrote: not to hijack, but I just found this:

Aluminum rad

2" can be dealth with just witht he brackets.. thats barely mor expensive than a stock copper replacement
DreX

Post by DreX »

crzyone wrote:Excellent looking swap. I love crate engines, so clean, no road grime.

Looks well done, love the look of the shorty headers. Anything is better than the factory manifolds.

:thumbleft:
Thanks, actually the headers give the engine a real good effect at higher rpms. It sounds real nice too.

DreX
whipped

Post by whipped »

Kohburn wrote:
whipped wrote: not to hijack, but I just found this:

Aluminum rad

2" can be dealth with just witht he brackets.. thats barely mor expensive than a stock copper replacement
Summit lists it as even shorter and narrower...
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

DreX - Where or who makes those plug wires? I cant find any aftermarket ones for the 96.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
chuck

Post by chuck »

I've never hooked up an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator so i could be wrong, but it would think that the regulator is what makes the restriction to build pressure and should be installed in the return line. installing it in the supply line would actually decrease fuel pressure. It looks like you have the regulator in the wrong line by my logic. Again I could be wrong, it's just an idea for someone to verify and maybe it has something to do with your tuning issues.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

chuck wrote:I've never hooked up an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator so i could be wrong, but it would think that the regulator is what makes the restriction to build pressure and should be installed in the return line. installing it in the supply line would actually decrease fuel pressure. It looks like you have the regulator in the wrong line by my logic. Again I could be wrong, it's just an idea for someone to verify and maybe it has something to do with your tuning issues.
Chuck somethings wrong with your logic....lol.

In my case i have a "bypass style" reg where it bleeds the excess pressure to the return line.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)