Can I fit a 5x114.3 wheels into a 5x115 hub?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

DreX

Post by DreX »

This is confusing. LOL

A .7mm whould make such difference?

Thanks
DreX
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I dont' think they would fit no.
DreX

Post by DreX »

:( Dang.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Shaun is incorrect, they will fit.

However they do fit towards the edge of the drilled holes, and tightening the bolts can get iffy if the holes are drilled tapered in an effort to center the rim.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
DreX

Post by DreX »

But all the wheels have tappered holes. Well I never saw one w/o them.

DreX
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

DreX wrote:But all the wheels have tappered holes. Well I never saw one w/o them.

DreX
Yah most do, and the lugs are tapered to center them. They will still bolt on, I've seen it done before, but I'm not sure of the dissadvantages.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I wouldn't suggest it. All the load on lugs will be on one side, you could possibly crack the rim? Most new rims need to be torqued down, pretty tough to do when you are not centered properly.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:I wouldn't suggest it. All the load on lugs will be on one side, you could possibly crack the rim? Most new rims need to be torqued down, pretty tough to do when you are not centered properly.
I also wouldn't suggest it, especially if it is in a racing or high speed environment.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I'll agree with those above and recommend against it. The taper fit will bend the lugs over. With time they may fatigue and fail.
DreX

Post by DreX »

I was thinking the same as you guys stated above. Its not a good idea to force a wheel where it not belongs to. Damn :angry: I want to change the bolt pattern of the Fiero to 5x114.3 due to better wheels offerd for that bolt pattern.

Which new GM car have 5x114.3???

DreX
FastFieros

Post by FastFieros »

I have 114.3's on my 115 pattern. It sucks... I had the OEM 17 inch wheels on my car for 2 weeks. Zero noise's, and smooth from a start/stop.

Now I added 18 inch 114.3's and i have popping noises, and it shakes a little from a start.

I read on the CGP forum before I did this 18 inch wheel, and "most" everyone there wrote it was ok. I do not think it is ok now.

Thankfully my 114.3 are also 5x100, and I see a Fiero in my future with 18 wheels..

Loyde
DreX

Post by DreX »

FastFieros wrote:I have 114.3's on my 115 pattern. It sucks... I had the OEM 17 inch wheels on my car for 2 weeks. Zero noise's, and smooth from a start/stop.

Now I added 18 inch 114.3's and i have popping noises, and it shakes a little from a start.

I read on the CGP forum before I did this 18 inch wheel, and "most" everyone there wrote it was ok. I do not think it is ok now.

Thankfully my 114.3 are also 5x100, and I see a Fiero in my future with 18 wheels..

Loyde
THANKS FOR TESTIMONIAL!! Thats was exactly I was looking for. You save me a lot of problems and money.

Thanks again

DreX
GunnerGTP

Post by GunnerGTP »

114.3's will fit on 115, physically.

.7 is indeed enough of a difference to cause problems with popping noises/vibration/breaking of lug bolts. But it can be solved by making absolutely sure that you are using the correct centerbore. And if you don't have the correct centerbore, use metal centering rings. Once the wheel is perfectly centered on the hub via the centerbore, you won't see any problems with the lug bolts.

Many people have no idea that the centerbore is an actual necessary performance fitment. Car companies discarded the idea of centering on the lug bolts long ago. They all center on the hub/centerbore now, for good reason. Following this rule will solve any problems with using 114.3 wheels on a 115 hub. Not following this rule will cause all the problems described previously.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

GunnerGTP wrote:114.3's will fit on 115, physically.

.7 is indeed enough of a difference to cause problems with popping noises/vibration/breaking of lug bolts. But it can be solved by making absolutely sure that you are using the correct centerbore. And if you don't have the correct centerbore, use metal centering rings. Once the wheel is perfectly centered on the hub via the centerbore, you won't see any problems with the lug bolts.

Many people have no idea that the centerbore is an actual necessary performance fitment. Car companies discarded the idea of centering on the lug bolts long ago. They all center on the hub/centerbore now, for good reason. Following this rule will solve any problems with using 114.3 wheels on a 115 hub. Not following this rule will cause all the problems described previously.
Good first post!
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
GunnerGTP

Post by GunnerGTP »

Thanks, I just found out about this place.

I'm a long-time member over at P's, as well as ClubGP and a schlew of other forums. I don't post often, but I'm online enough for my wife to know I have an addiction...
DreX

Post by DreX »

GunnerGTP wrote:Thanks, I just found out about this place.

I'm a long-time member over at P's, as well as ClubGP and a schlew of other forums. I don't post often, but I'm online enough for my wife to know I have an addiction...
LOL, looks like my case. I hear often, PLEASE!!! Dont turn on the compter today!!.. LOL

Back to bussiness, so i can use the 5x114.3 wheels just need a center rings. Where I can get them? Does worth the hassle? Its an extra that needs to stay installed?

Thanks
DreX
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

DreX wrote:
GunnerGTP wrote:Thanks, I just found out about this place.

LOL, looks like my case. I hear often, PLEASE!!! Dont turn on the compter today!!.. LOL

Back to bussiness, so i can use the 5x114.3 wheels just need a center rings. Where I can get them? Does worth the hassle? Its an extra that needs to stay installed?

Thanks
DreX
can always modify the hubs to change the bolt pattern - but still a good idea to use centering rings
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

GunnerGTP wrote:114.3's will fit on 115, physically.

I should have touched on the centering bore topic, but it seemed horrendously obvious to me.