As requested

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

CAN3800SC
cant get enough of this site!

As requested

Post by CAN3800SC »

Here it is, my 85GT.....I didn't build it the way it is, but i wish i did, because it would really help to know exactly how it was put together when i'm working on it, which is every day in the summer. this is my daily driver for the warm months.

Details:

-car has 150 000 km, engine has 5000km since the rebuild.
-Powered by a 1987 Grand National Engine.
-turbo removed and replaced with a 1995 supercoupe supercharger.
-Holley carb (one for in-town driving, one for racing)
-custom exhaust
-custom edelbrock intake
-performance pistons
-4T60 Tranny and B&M Ratchet Shifter.
-Dettachable steel subframe connectors.
-New Sunpro guages
-Custom Decklid Scoop
-American Racing rims

check it:

CAN3800SC

Post by CAN3800SC »

engine:

CAN3800SC

Post by CAN3800SC »

interior:
CAN3800SC

Post by CAN3800SC »

now for some of the problems i'm having:

--i'm running 2 v-belts for the SC, so needless to say, they snap after a few weeks.....i'm pretty sure it's cause the heat chews them up, so I'm relocating the battery to the front, and placing a fan in it's place, as well as opening up my quarter panels on both sides to push more air through the fan at higher speeds.....my top pulley is fucked too, it doesn't even match up with the others, so I'm getting a new one made..hopefully it'll work, cause it would be one hell of a job to switch to serpentine.

--I use alot of oil........it doesn't drip, and it doesn't blow blue out of my exhaust...it just disappears! So i gotta figure that shit out. Any ideas?

----if I take a turn that's over 90 degrees at a higher speed than recommended, or just do a donut, my car stalls out.....maybe the fuel pump isn't getting gas in these conditions?

---my back cooks like rotissery chicken if I take a trip somewhere, so I'm gonna dynamat the firewall, should be enough.

other than that, it's a good clean car, and it's almost fast enough for my liking.

any ideas for changes i would benefit from are welcome
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Looks like a cool swap.

As for suggestions, I would switch from the supercharger to a turbo. But thats me.

Have any pictures of the subframe connectors?
CAN3800SC

Post by CAN3800SC »

I have pics of the subframe connectors at my computer in my hometown, I'll see if I can get them emailed down to me if they can be found.......
i thought of switching to turbo, but i like the fact that the SC is always kicked in, no waiting....straight bottom end pull. I may still switch it up for reliability though, any ideas what turbo i should use if i do that?
another thing i'm strongly considering if i keep it the way it is, is to hook up some nitrous. I inquired about turbo and SC together, but was told the lag would be unbearable for my liking. The car's in storage in a trailer in Toronto right now, so if I can't find the subframe connector pics they may have to wait until I take it out again in may.
Last edited by CAN3800SC on Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GmetalGT

Post by GmetalGT »

What does this thing run? 1/4 mile
CAN3800SC

Post by CAN3800SC »

I never took it out to the track yet myself, but when the swap was completed, Robin (the mechanic) took it to a track in Earlton and says he ran low 12s all day....people that don't even like him backed him up on his claim too......I'll see for myself though, different driver, maybe my times will suck ass or be a little improvement.

like i said, i pretty much drove it like a pussy for it's first summer, Robin had the cash to spring if shit went wrong in the small amount of high speed km he put on the engine, but my cash was reserved for school so I didn't want to bust my daily driver. I raced a few people in town and on the highway, but I never made a day out of it.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Nice looking car/swap. When are ya gonna take it to the track? It's fun to break your daily driver. I did it several times when my Fiero was my daily driver. :thumbleft: Does it run good with the carb?
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
CAN3800SC

Post by CAN3800SC »

thanks!
as soon as I get my SC pulley replaced, all the pulleys will be lined up properly and I won't have to worry about snapping belts left and right....that's the main reason why I haven't taken it to the track yet.....if you snap one, you have to replace both of them (45$), and use the leftover one as a spare for when the others snap.

so once I don't have to worry about hearing the belts hit my decklid grill when I punch the gas, I'll have some first hand track time......I'm changing the pulleys as soon as it comes out of storage. I'm planning on hitting some tracks in Southern Ontario aswell, and maybe even going to the states to see some other Fiero shows.

Although I wish it was kept fuel injected, it runs nice with the carb(s).... but it takes a bit of tuning, and it's a bitch to start in the morning cause there's no choke......anyone know what kind of power loss (if any) I'll experience if I choke it?
CAN3800SC

Post by CAN3800SC »

here's the car I had before....what a steal it was! 900$ for it in Orangeville, had 90 000kms, and it didn't have that front end damage when I had it :mumum:

some drunk asshole decided to U turn into my lane in his chevy pickup and I smoked him really good...his truck had more damage than the Fiero, but he still did a number on my ride....bastard

my dad owns it now, he's gonna caddy it up, do the body work and sell it for cheap. I miss this car , mine would destroy it in every way, but I love the IMSA look.

z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

Re: As requested

Post by z.MacK »

CAN3800SC wrote:Powered by a 1987 Grand National Engine.
Serious? Never heard of one of a GN powered fiero.
I have a friend with a regal T-Type, same engine. It hauls a buick around pretty nice, I cant imagine a fiero.

Buy why would you ditch the turbo, for a super? That what makes those engines so special.
CAN3800SC

Post by CAN3800SC »

the turbo was replaced because the supercharger has a quicker response.....I'd like to find the turbo that it actually came with, but i looked around last year and they're not too easy to come by. The turbo would probably make the car alot more reliable, my uncle even has an 87 GN stock, but he'd rather watch it rot than sell anything from it to me....he's got this dream that he'll someday work on it and restore it, but he hasn't even seen it in like 3 years, it's at my dad's scrapyard...and that's the only scrap yard i've heard of that even has a Grand National sitting in it
CAN3800SC

Post by CAN3800SC »

went home this weekend, took my subframe connectors out to take pics that someone asked for.....
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

Id recognize those rims from across the street..... on a cavalier....... that belongs to the crack head that stole my car last thanksgiving. yeah i got them back.

I think yours might be a set of knock offs. you know canadian racing rims.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Thanks for taking the pictures. :thumbleft:
CAN3800SC

Post by CAN3800SC »

p8ntman442 wrote:[img]http://topimagehost.com/uploads/573_.jpg
I think yours might be a set of knock offs. you know canadian racing rims.
hey man, 50 pounds of crushed beer cans can go a long way up here.

For the SF connectors : I'll post pics of the underside of my car when I connect them in may or june,(whenever I take the car out).... anyone who wants the specs for these let me know and I'll do what I can.