Taking the Fiero to the track tomorrow, any tips?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

greengoblin0129

Taking the Fiero to the track tomorrow, any tips?

Post by greengoblin0129 »

I've never took the Fiero on the track before, any tips to help my time a little. lol, even if i'm not going to run under 15secs more in likey.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Which one are you taking? (Auto or manual?)
greengoblin0129

5 Speed Manual
Fierocious

Post by Fierocious »

Don't shift at the redline. Shift a little lower about 5k. My times improved when i did that
Dont raelly have to fiddle with tire pressure unless your launching like crazy.
I didn't launch crazy and ended up with a 2.2 ish 60 ft. No tire spin at all.
1988 Fiero GT
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Should be able to crack a 2.0 sixty if you feed your clutch.
greengoblin0129

Well, didn't do all that great, but decent for my first time :( Car died once before I took off, and the timing was off, didn't get any power till have 3K. Right before I left to the track I swapped out my master cly, the clutch petal felt alot different after that. Heres the best out of 5 runs:
R/T: .082
60 feet: 2.421
1/8: 11.394
MPH for 1/8: 61.51
1000: 14.941
1/4: 17.36
MPH: 75.02
The good: Did one hell of a burn out before hand!
Heres a 350 V8 I beat, twice:

think its time for a swap :D
greengoblin0129

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Props for taking it to the track. No vids? At least you got pics. You got yoruself a beast there. Must be hard to hang on.

Any vid of your burnout?

Is that your g/f driving or are you sporting a Texas mudflap?
Fierocious

Post by Fierocious »

weak but i guess its your first time.
What kinda "drag tires" were those?
Your times should only improve
I've got some vids somewhere of my times if you guys really want to see some slow fiero ET :angel:
1988 Fiero GT
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

Looks like IRP...thats a pretty nice track, but they have some ghey policies. They say you have to wear a helment if you have t-tops or a convertable and told my dad he couldn't run his camaro then 10minutes later let some broad run her plymouth prowler with no helment and the top down. :blah5:
greengoblin0129

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Props for taking it to the track. No vids? At least you got pics. You got yoruself a beast there. Must be hard to hang on.

Any vid of your burnout?

Is that your g/f driving or are you sporting a Texas mudflap?
Lol, Thats my seat belt that makes my hair look like that. Think alot of my problem was my timing, didn't get any power till 3K. I got some vids, but they are from far away shoot on the ground so you can only see the take off. Not even worth posting. The drag tires in the back are Pirelli P8000's.
ditch

Post by ditch »

I_wear_pants wrote:Looks like IRP...thats a pretty nice track, but they have some ghey policies. They say you have to wear a helment if you have t-tops or a convertable and told my dad he couldn't run his camaro then 10minutes later let some broad run her plymouth prowler with no helment and the top down. :blah5:
They're pretty inconsistent. I took my 3.4 down there last year and they didn't even inspect it (even though they have all these "rules").

Ryan: you did fine for your first time. You'll get better in time. I pulled a lowsy 16.1 in my 3.4/5spd when I was there. This is the same engine that got the previous owner a 14.2 with a 3 spd fiero 125auto. For me, the things that killed my time were the crappy bald tires that broke loose off the line giving me a ~2.3 sec 60' (I've since replaced them with 225-50-15 dunlop 8000's), my shifting each gear at redline (I shifted at 6500, next time I'll shift between 5000 and 5500), and my crappy exhaust (was stock with rusty muffler, have since put on a WCF 2.5" system with flowmaster 40).

There are many things involved. Keep going and you'll learn a whole lot about how to drive your car. I hope to get down there this summer and do much better myself.

I had a great time down there last year. A lot of cool people.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Props for going to the track and posting numbers. :thumbleft:
greengoblin0129

ditch wrote:
I_wear_pants wrote:Looks like IRP...thats a pretty nice track, but they have some ghey policies. They say you have to wear a helment if you have t-tops or a convertable and told my dad he couldn't run his camaro then 10minutes later let some broad run her plymouth prowler with no helment and the top down. :blah5:
They're pretty inconsistent. I took my 3.4 down there last year and they didn't even inspect it (even though they have all these "rules").

Ryan: you did fine for your first time. You'll get better in time. I pulled a lowsy 16.1 in my 3.4/5spd when I was there. This is the same engine that got the previous owner a 14.2 with a 3 spd fiero 125auto. For me, the things that killed my time were the crappy bald tires that broke loose off the line giving me a ~2.3 sec 60' (I've since replaced them with 225-50-15 dunlop 8000's), my shifting each gear at redline (I shifted at 6500, next time I'll shift between 5000 and 5500), and my crappy exhaust (was stock with rusty muffler, have since put on a WCF 2.5" system with flowmaster 40).

There are many things involved. Keep going and you'll learn a whole lot about how to drive your car. I hope to get down there this summer and do much better myself.

I had a great time down there last year. A lot of cool people.
Yea it was pretty fun. I had alot of people come up to me and say, "hey, your FieroGT off Indycarz.com" lol. Even talked to some other Fiero owners there that i've never meet before. Me and the V8station wagon raced each other 3 out of the 5 runs. Pretty close race each time, .2 of a sec, but I still won :D The "PowerWagon" ended up winning the burnout contest. I'll be going up there again next tuesday after I fix some thing on my car, and taking the other Fiero as well.