Test drove an 04 EVO 8 yesterday. Wasn't impressed.

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Nemesis
ass

Test drove an 04 EVO 8 yesterday. Wasn't impressed.

Post by Nemesis »

Was there something wrong with it? Did I not do something right? Odometer read just over 17K miles. The salesman was in the car with me, but he was the one telling me to get on it. I am/was seriously considering getting this car for my wife since I just sold my other truck.

It was a dog. What's the hp rating on these? My turbo Fiero felt just as fast, maybe a bit faster and that's not saying much. I have raced one on the street that clearly had exhaust and some major-dollar wheels on it, so I assume it was modded under the hood. He just barely pulled on me around 70MPH after I pulled him 1st-3rd.

This one had an Apexi turbo timer and HKS boost gauge. I think it was hitting around 20psi (gauge read in bars - 1.0 etc., hit a bit below 1.5).

The only other option is the WRX, but gawd damn.... can there be an uglier car?
product1620

Post by product1620 »

Wow, those things are supposed to be the shit; don't know what to tell
you. :scratch:
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The SRT4 boys can take one from a roll. The Evo shines out of the hole due to being awd so they post some decent 1/4 mile times. There is quite a bit of driveline loss through the drivetrain.

It was probibly faster than it felt, but with mods they are deadly.

This is an Evo VIII as car and driver rated it.

Vehicle type: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan
Estimated base price: $29,500
Engine type: turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve 4-in-line, iron block and aluminum head, Mitsubishi engine-control system with port fuel injection
Displacement: 122 cu in, 1997cc
Power (SAE net): 271 bhp @ 6500 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 273 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Wheelbase: 103.3 in
Length: 178.5 in
Width: 69.7 in
Height: 57.1 in
Curb weight 3250 lb
C/D-estimated performance:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 14.4 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.2 sec @ 98 mph
Top speed (redline limited): 155 mph
Projected fuel economy:
EPA city driving 18 mpg
EPA highway driving 26 mpg
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Maybe test drive another one. I know evo's can do low 13's with just your basic bolt ons. Maybe something was wrong with it.

Srt 4's trap around 98 and Evo's trap around 98 as well both when stock. It would come down to driver.

The thing is, it might not have felt fast, but with a few dollars can run 12's at 110. Just check out streetfire. It could have been stock with just a boost gauge so where there is a lot of room to improve with your BPU mods, your fiero is maxed with that turbo setup.

Drive a diff one and see if there is a difference.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

That's weird, I was actually really impressed by the STi I got to toy around in for a few months. Power came on really strong around 3000-3500, and pulled right to 7. It felt like it had a lot more than 300hp. If I was looking for a car with this basic layout, the STi would be in my driveway without a doubt, and it has the same basic setup as the Evo, so I'm surprised you didn't like it.
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

Stock 1/4 is 14.2? Sounds about right I suppose. Up here should give it a high 14, like a 14.6. My Fiero runs mid 14s, but can't get much faster and I know the EVO's capability goes from there. But this isn't a replacement for my Fiero. I need something that I like, something my wife likes, something that can haul the kids, can handle snow and will get my wife out of my 03 Chevy.

I think my only other option is a Typhoon. :thumbleft:
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

Aaron wrote:That's weird, I was actually really impressed by the STi I got to toy around in for a few months. Power came on really strong around 3000-3500, and pulled right to 7. It felt like it had a lot more than 300hp. If I was looking for a car with this basic layout, the STi would be in my driveway without a doubt, and it has the same basic setup as the Evo, so I'm surprised you didn't like it.
I haven't even considered the STi. Have you stood back and looked at one? It could have 480hp and pull 1.13 on the 200, but I still wouldn't want one. :puke:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The new STi is the only WRX that I can stand the looks of. If you test drive one you might see past the looks.

There isn't much difference in looks between the Evo and STi imo, both have the same basic body shape. Fairly narrow, tall and 4 doors. Basically rally cars for the street.

If you want a pocket rocket that you can pick up fairly cheap, test drive an SRT-4. Capable of 13s stock and are actually pretty reliable. Doesn't hurt that you can buy Mopar staged upgrades for it as well :thumbleft:

http://www.mopar.com/srt_stage_2.htm
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Nemesis wrote:I need something that I like, something my wife likes, something that can haul the kids, can handle snow and will get my wife out of my 03 Chevy.

I think my only other option is a Typhoon. :thumbleft:
I'm going to go off on a limb and sterotype here for a second, so don't take this the wrong way. I think you may be looking at the wrong cars. I think you're looking at what you think would be cool, instead of what yoru wife will deem most useful and conveniant. And a turbo-lagged, AWD sports car with racing suspension and drivetrain components isn't perfect for hauling the kiddies around. Again using my experience with the STi, it isn't the best for daily driving, and I assume the Evo isn't either. The clutch is hard and quick to engage, the drivetrain is sloppy and is REALLY rough, the gearing is quick and stickshift only, and it wasn't very comfortable. Now it was great for what it was made for, but if I had to drive it everyday, I'd fucking love it. Ok sorry. I don't think it is the right car for a wife who needs it to take the kids here and there, go to work, etc. Have you thought about like a 3 series BMW?

The STi isn't the best looking, but I like it. I would prefer the Evo in looks alone though.
bryson

Post by bryson »

crzyone wrote:The new STi is the only WRX that I can stand the looks of. If you test drive one you might see past the looks.

There isn't much difference in looks between the Evo and STi imo, both have the same basic body shape. Fairly narrow, tall and 4 doors. Basically rally cars for the street.

If you want a pocket rocket that you can pick up fairly cheap, test drive an SRT-4. Capable of 13s stock and are actually pretty reliable. Doesn't hurt that you can buy Mopar staged upgrades for it as well :thumbleft:

http://www.mopar.com/srt_stage_2.htm
I test drove an SRT-4 once, just for kicks -- I drive a Fiero, geez. Anyway, I wasn't impressed with it's speed. It handled really well (scared the sales rep haha) but it wasn't fast at all. I guess I don't know what a 13 second car really feels like since I've never driven down a dragstrip, but I don't think a stock SRT-4 is too fast.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

SRT-4 will spank a 3.4dohc fiero in the 1/4 and from a roll. They are 230-240hp at the wheels, which would put its power to weight ratio somewhere around a 3800sc fiero.

I think they are plenty fast and amazed the crap out of me. Maybe the one you drove had a boost leak. First thing SRT owners do is a leak down test to make sure they are not leaking.
bryson

Post by bryson »

I think they're rated at 230 at the crank from the factory. Maybe most of the guys who get them immediately turn the bost up a bit :scratch:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I raced a bone stock SRT4 a few months back. My motor was hurt but my last dyno was 200 whp. WHo knows what its at now or at the time, but I got walked by a stock srt4 from a roll. So they are faster then a spraying v6 and when stock. Just think of the simple cheap mods. downpipe, catback, intake, boost controller. It would be a ass raping.

My buddy had those mods done to his srt4. Another buddy had the same mods done to his evo. Evo would walk all over the srt4. Roll, dig, whatever.

srt4 is rated at 230 crank but I think its for ins purposes. I have seen dynos stock put down anywhere from 215-230 whp which means its more then 230 crank.

I dont' think an evo would be a good family car to be honest. Maybe a nice 4 door dodge would work though. Or a caravan or something? Intrepid? Ask the wifey what she likes. It will prob differ from you.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Dodge rates them at 230hp. Guys going to the dyno bone stock are putting down anywhere between 220-240whp.

Same thing is happening with the Cobalt SS, guys are dynoing their supposed crank hp rating.

Edit to ad, the SRT is a real nice driving car when you are not racing it, feels just like my 01 neon did. Its a torquy motor when its not in boost which is probibly due to its longer stroke 2.4L engine. I've read gas mileage is decent as well, but it takes premium fuel.

I will be picking up an SRT4 when I am done with the Intrepid. The Intrepid is a real bland boat, nice ride but uninspired.
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

Nemesis wrote:I think my only other option is a Typhoon. :thumbleft:
There was one that is for sale cheep localy
http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35526

I had one and loved it. The real weak link is the 700r4 trans. You can upgrade to the 4l80e and have a real stop light monster that you can boost launch when ever you feel like it.
Mega Squirted Turbo 3400
The install
How to MS your Fiero
allWorkNoPlay

Post by allWorkNoPlay »

Legacy GT. Same engine as in the STi, but with a smaller turbo and intercooler. Has a smaller price and a nicer interior.
Nemesis wrote: I think my only other option is a Typhoon. :thumbleft:
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

TurboGT wrote:
Nemesis wrote:I think my only other option is a Typhoon. :thumbleft:
There was one that is for sale cheep localy
http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35526

I had one and loved it. The real weak link is the 700r4 trans. You can upgrade to the 4l80e and have a real stop light monster that you can boost launch when ever you feel like it.
I think it's this one.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... cardist=21

He has Alteza and clear lights all over it. Not too mention red and black just don't go together.

This one in St. George has my eye.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... ardist=299

This might be a good choice since my wife's brother and dad are both GM mechanics. She isn't too excited about an import. I've always wanted a Sy or Ty.
Chase Race

Re: Test drove an 04 EVO 8 yesterday. Wasn't impressed.

Post by Chase Race »

Nemesis wrote:Was there something wrong with it? Did I not do something right? Odometer read just over 17K miles. The salesman was in the car with me, but he was the one telling me to get on it. I am/was seriously considering getting this car for my wife since I just sold my other truck.

It was a dog. What's the hp rating on these? My turbo Fiero felt just as fast, maybe a bit faster and that's not saying much. I have raced one on the street that clearly had exhaust and some major-dollar wheels on it, so I assume it was modded under the hood. He just barely pulled on me around 70MPH after I pulled him 1st-3rd.

This one had an Apexi turbo timer and HKS boost gauge. I think it was hitting around 20psi (gauge read in bars - 1.0 etc., hit a bit below 1.5).

The only other option is the WRX, but gawd damn.... can there be an uglier car?
I got to drive a 2005 RS around for a day and I came away with a slightly different impression. I thought the car was so capable and quick that it was almost boring on the street. What I mean by that is that it handles so well that you never feel like you're going that fast. 85mph feels like 60, plus the car corners very flat and has very supportive seats so corners are no big deal either.

It's a dog when you're out of the boost and this almost got me in trouble once. In the Fiero I usually ease the clutch out gently and roll into the gas, and the clutch is usually engaged by 1200 - 1500 RPM. I did this in the Evo and almost got hit because the engine has NO juice at that RPM. But what do you expect from a 2 liter engine off boost in a reasonably heavy car?

I liked it, except that I could never get completely comfortable in the seats. But then I also think WRXs are decent looking cars, (at least '04 - '05) so what do I know. :bootyshake:
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636
product1620

Post by product1620 »

But then I also think WRXs are decent looking cars, (at least '04 - '05) so what do I know. :bootyshake:
I like those years also, but the newer ones are just plain fugly.
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

i neve rliked the bug eyed wrx's much but i liked the 04-05 a lot and hate the new grill that they are puting on everything since the tribeca came out

I like the look of subarus so I have no problem taking an STI over an evo

have a friend with a modded STI and it can get scary at times that fact that what it feels like at 80mph on a twisty road is like a neon at 40mph
[img]"An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein
"Most folks are educated beyond their intelligence" - Mark Twain