Air-Water Intercoolers

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

bryson

Air-Water Intercoolers

Post by bryson »

How much of a difference will there be in terms of pressure drop and cooling with a possibly cheaper core as opposed to a nicer Spearco core? Mine

^^That's an example of mine. It was probably bought from the same guy, who had custom endtanks made to work on a bunch of generators. Anyway, I don't really like the endtanks on the one I have, mainly because I don't like the short radius 90* elbow, or the endtanks. Also, it would help to have the inlets and outlets facing opposite directions like on These

Is the Spearco unit a whole lot better than a cheap one? It doesn't seem like there could be a whole lot of difference in an intercooler core. Eh?
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

How much of that pressure drop is simply the air being cooler, and therefore denser?

'Cos it seems to me that 6psi of un-intercooled air will give you the same power as 5.90psi of intercooled air, assuming a 0.1psi pressure drop after cooling...
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Intercooler pressure drop is a combination of the two effects.

The only thing we know about the flow is that the mass-rate is the same pre- and post- intercooler. If the intercooler inlet and outlet are sized appropriately for the temperature drop, there will be no change in pressure or velocity through the intercooler, other than what's required to push the air through the intercooler in the first place.

I think that the second type would probably be the easiest to use in a Fiero engine compartment.

Spearco is just a reputable name. It doesn't automatically make their stuff gold plated, though. Especially not for that kind of price difference.
bryson

Post by bryson »

The numbers that the cheaper one put up are just the Spearco numbers. They are "examples of data" -- I highly doubt they actually took any measurements. Even so, I don't think there could be much difference between a Spearco core and a knock-off core. The only thing I can think of is that they may have used an air/air core in the cheap unit.
Indy

Post by Indy »

I have a Spearco 2-230. There's not much special about it, the welds are nice though. If I wouldn't have been able to get it for an extremely good price, and being able to compare it to an off-brand, I wouldn't be concerned with going with something a little cheaper.
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

i've got an ss autochrom air/air intercooler - i was more than happy with the quality and wouldn't have any issues buyign that air/water unit