FierOwned

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

How many Ferraris have you owned?
MNFatz wrote:That's a mondial convertible.

1 step from the bottom of the barrel in the Ferrari world. The mondial coupe being the bottom, and the 308GTB being one step above it.

Low 30s, high 20s and expensive as hell to maintain if you don't do you're own work.

(If you do your own work, Ferrari's are cheap cheap cheap to own. You'll lose more money on a new corvette than you will a 5 YO Ferrari. You might even turn a profit. Shhh!)
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

At the risk of sounding like someone else on the board, I personally have owned none, but my father owned several when I was growing up.

He had a dino and a 308 GTSi and his favorite, a 512BBi. Strangely enough, he sold the boxer when I was 17...odd coincidence. He always hated the 308 and everyone else who knows anything about ferraris does as well--at least at ferrarichat.com. That's what makes a replica 308 so damn funny.

The secret to cheap cheap cheap parts is to make frequent trips europe to avoid the monopoly the US distributor has--which should be a crime, incidentally. The price of Ferrari parts in Europe are still expensive, but comparatively cheap in Europe. Beyond that, there are interchangeable part numbers for alternators, etc that can save you a ton.

I'm going to buy a 512TR or a 360 Modena when I'm ready. I've been close on more than one occasion but I chicken out at the last minute.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What's to hate about a 308?
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

Sooo... An $1000 plane ticket to save $300 on a gasket set?

:scratch:

I have a better idea; get one of my cousins to buy the parts and ship 'em to me. :la:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
GmetalGT

Post by GmetalGT »

Mach10 wrote:Sooo... An $1000 plane ticket to save $300 on a gasket set?

:scratch:

I have a better idea; get one of my cousins to buy the parts and ship 'em to me. :la:
Dont forget about the money that would be spent on drugs and hookers.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

The Mondial T is much nicer then the Mondial. The T has the longitudinal engine/gearbox orientation of the 355-360 etc... instead of the transverse like the 308. Puts the center of gravity lower and supposedly much better balanced handling. They still get no love from the Ferarri snobs, but I'd much rather do one of those then be caught dead in a replica trying to pass it off as the real deal.

Oh, and true bottom of the barrel for Ferarri would have to be a 400i automatic. I'd still keep one in my barn.
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:What's to hate about a 308?
Hate isn't the right word, I shouldn't have used it--unless it's a kit-car.

First of all, they're SLOW--mid 15 second quarter mile and a top speed of not much. That's not a Ferrari, that's a national tragedy in Italy. It's all down hill from there.

They're Dr. Phil cars. People drive them for status, not to drive the shit out of them--because you can't. They're slow and handle like crap compared to anything north of a 348.

They're mass produced cars Ferrari made for middle aged men to buy when they're going through a mid-life crisis. The GTS was for people who have hair, the GTB for those with toupees.

The Mondial is a family car. Same deal, worse performance, worse wannabe factor.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

ah, hookers and blow.

GmetalGT wrote:
Dont forget about the money that would be spent on drugs and hookers.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Howard is such a postwhore!

:angel:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

MNFatz wrote:People drive them for status, not to drive the shit out of them--because you can't. They're slow and handle like crap compared to anything north of a 348.
Handle like crap? They can't be worse than Fieros.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

people drive them because they are classics - not because they want to burn up the road