I'm getting F'ing sick of being the only 4.9 driver to post

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

linenoise

I'm getting F'ing sick of being the only 4.9 driver to post

Post by linenoise »

my times. If they have sucked I have posted and taken the heat. whne I was an idiot I admited it. But Fuck people I am hating being a 4.9 owner when everyone else is afraid to post up thier times. how the hell can I get them to help me out by postiung thier times?

Bt yes I was drunking when I raced that Iroc. and I'm pretty fucking lit right now. have to go sing, it's going to be a fun night. Lol
whipped

Post by whipped »

good luck with that.

:thumbleft:
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

im trying not to be a dick about this so please take my words with a pinch of salt.

4.9 is a cheap swap. The swappers do it for the "v8 torque" and i doubt have the money to actually tune on a dyno and run at a strip. Or even care for that matter.

You have the right attitude but the wrong engine!
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
AntiCooter

Post by AntiCooter »

4.5 TBI + 4t60 + Holley TBI + truck ECM= 14.9~15.1 G-tech quarter miles. Feel better?

I just swapped a 4.9 into a friend's Fiero where it had a 4.5. We will race against each other on a local 1/8th mile strip sometime in the near future and I will post the results....unless they suck. Then I will make up some crap about how my foot slipped off the gas or something lame like that.
whipped

Post by whipped »

donk_316 wrote: 4.9 is a cheap swap. The swappers do it for the "v8 torque" and i doubt have the money to actually tune on a dyno and run at a strip. Or even care for that matter.
Yeah. One person was bragging that they swapped a carbed 4.9 for $200 total. What are you supposed to say to that? Seriously.

Way to put together a shitty swap?

4.9 users (especially carb'd) are the cheapest of the cheap fiero owners... so it seems. No offense if you have a carb. but they do suck
z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

Post by z.MacK »

I never have driven a 4.9, but they remind me of a 2.5 X 2
lol
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

for the most part excluding Linenoise, most 4.9 fiero owners are ricers. they all love to brag about how cheap of a swap they were able to do. Not how good of a swap they were able to do.

Its like there is some mission on NeverLand to post on how cheap you were able to do your swap. Like how many corners can I cut and beat the next guy in how much he spent. Instead of being, Who did the best swap and the nicest swap. And people wonder why they run like shit.

They think its fast, say its fast, but won't take it to the track to prove its fast. If they do take it to the track, they don't post their times because they are horrible. Meaning its barely better then a stock 2.8.

sure it has a lot of bottom end tq. Noone is going to dispute that. But it also has NO powerband. That is why it is barely better then a stock 2.8

Linenoise I feel your frustration I really do. Which is why I have harped on 4.9 owners from .nl for so long. You are really the only one that has taken it to the track and posted their times be it good or bad. So much kudos to you. All the others just say its a 13 second car and blah blah blah but then lose to a stock civic and don't know why.

There are what 50+ members on Neverland with a 4.9 swap yet only a couple with Qtr mile times? look at the qtr mile list. There are what 3 4.9'
s on it with like 50 completed swaps on that whole forum? Talk about pathetic.

But I guess it has that v8 rumble. Talk about bad ass.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
linenoise

Post by linenoise »

donk_316 wrote:im trying not to be a dick about this so please take my words with a pinch of salt.

4.9 is a cheap swap. The swappers do it for the "v8 torque" and i doubt have the money to actually tune on a dyno and run at a strip. Or even care for that matter.

You have the right attitude but the wrong engine!

Cheapness is a Never land glory hole, everyone gets excited about a $5.00 upgrade. Your not being a dick I totally understand.

Yes I have the wrong motor, however I paid some decent coin $4k us for the swap. Which IMHO wasn't bad, I don't have the skills to swap a motor in and I don't ever see the wife letting me spend another 5K to get the right motor swapped in.

Yeah I was dumb I researched as best I could, including going and driving Ed parks 4.9 down in Alabama. Which I posted about having no top end, it was pinging like a mofo. PBJ swore it was ecm issues, and honestly my 4.9 is a totally different car on the road then ed's. So PBJ was dead on there. While I'm not sure about him being able to tune, he really is the whip at swaps.

However couldn't find a 3800Sc to test drive, and there was so much Bull shit out there on the 4.9 I fell into the trap. Not knowing what questions to ask, I figured if I wanted more out of the 4.9 I could just slap a turbo on like PBJ did. Well know I’ve started learning and looking into it and it will cost me a lot of coin because I don't have the skills / tools to do what I need.

Heads, different non E tranny so I can run the different ECM which they have somewhat tuned. After seeing the Dyno PBJ I figured there was a lot more in his motor once tuned right.

So now I must maximize what I have. I did find a local shop that will reproduce the headwork / larger valves that GT had done on his 4.9 for $400 (with a flow bench), and my 4T60E is starting to act horrible, Almost acts like it has a 3K stall in it now, I think the added power from the nitrous was just too much. So by next year I might have heads PP & Larger valves, 4T80 Tranny (I know it’s heaver than the 4T40 but It’s also stronger), which before it goes in will get a shift kit.

I would really love to see some number for other cars PBJ / Rock have done, before I pick the final drive for the new tranny, I ant to compare Qtr times for the final Drives. I know in theory that 3.33 vs 2.97 should yield the same times, just change 60’ and 1/8th But I want to know for sure ;)
linenoise

Post by linenoise »

AntiCooter wrote:4.5 TBI + 4t60 + Holley TBI + truck ECM= 14.9~15.1 G-tech quarter miles. Feel better?

I just swapped a 4.9 into a friend's Fiero where it had a 4.5. We will race against each other on a local 1/8th mile strip sometime in the near future and I will post the results....unless they suck. Then I will make up some crap about how my foot slipped off the gas or something lame like that.
Lol. Thats fucking funny
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

How is your hangover today? You were def pretty drunk last night.

I know tehre were several members on Neverland that went to the track with their 4.9 swap but never posted times. Hell they even posted pics of their car on the track but refused to post times.

Sabre49 is one of those people. Pretty sure pbj did his swap too. From waht I understand, it is slower then Banditbalz's 2.8 4 spd with like 2 mods.
linenoise

Post by linenoise »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:How is your hangover today? You were def pretty drunk last night.

I know tehre were several members on Neverland that went to the track with their 4.9 swap but never posted times. Hell they even posted pics of their car on the track but refused to post times.

Sabre49 is one of those people. Pretty sure pbj did his swap too. From waht I understand, it is slower then Banditbalz's 2.8 4 spd with like 2 mods.
Hnagovers doing good. Couple of pops and I'm feeling better. It was a rough night, at one point someone sent 3 trays 90 shots (pucker) up to the stage. just happened to be my set too :D 90 shots between 10 people well you get the idea.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I havnt had time to have mine at the track, dyno it or even drive it lately. Been working 2 jobs to make ends meet. One of these days I'll get that stuff done. Back a couple of years ago I went to the track every weekend.
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
scrabblegod

Post by scrabblegod »

Here is the best time slip for mine to date.
This is running a 4T60E with a 3.08 final drive and a 2600rpm converter.
I would probably go down to 22 or 23 hundred on the stall. It is also running a Rockcrawl chip.
It has done a best 60' time of 1.81. This is on Michelin 225-50-17 M&S tires.
I am sure real rubber will drop the 60' as wall as the 1/4 times as the current launch technique is brake torque it to about 1200 rpm and punch it at the proper time on the last yellow. If I try to hold any higher rpm on the line, it just boils the tires.

Gene
linenoise

Post by linenoise »

scrabblegod wrote:Here is the best time slip for mine to date.
This is running a 4T60E with a 3.08 final drive and a 2600rpm converter.
I would probably go down to 22 or 23 hundred on the stall. It is also running a Rockcrawl chip.
It has done a best 60' time of 1.81. This is on Michelin 225-50-17 M&S tires.
I am sure real rubber will drop the 60' as wall as the 1/4 times as the current launch technique is brake torque it to about 1200 rpm and punch it at the proper time on the last yellow. If I try to hold any higher rpm on the line, it just boils the tires.

Gene
very nice, and great info. with the 2.97 Final Drive and Stock Caddy converter. I can't get the tires to smoke if I try. I just end up pushing the fronts along, or lifting them. What else have you done to your motor?