How do I go about this?

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

How do I go about this?

Post by Mach10 »

Ever since I was a little boy, I've had an absolute favorite car. Great lines, good performance, and despite a fractional price-tag, used to run with the Big Boys.

I'm talking about none other than the 1986-1988 Lotus Esprit Turbos.

It's always been my dream to find me a bagged out one, strip it to peices and lovingly restore it.

Fieros are great. Laugh all you want, but they are a close second for my favorite cars. But the sad fact is that they have no intrinsic value other than a fun weekender to beat like a rented mule.

I think I'll always want to own at least one Fiero...

But as me and the woman are looking for a place (with a REAL garage), and we're aligning our hopes and dreams, I find myself thumbing through my old car&driver mags and getting a semi staring at that amazing car.

Long and short of it; I don't have the slightest clue where to start looking for an 80s Lotus Esprit Turbo in need of serious TLC.

I'm not a great body-man, so I don't want to rescue a roll-over. I'd rather find one that's been flogged mercilessly, with a bum drivetrain. As long as it's rebuildable, I'm SO game.

It'd be nice to sink $20k into a car and actually have something that's worth the money put into it.

Where do I start? I'm not ready to buy yet, but I want to start feelin' the markets... :scratch:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

:sad2:

PLEASE MOMMY I WANT IT!!!

:sad2:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

I don't think I've ever seen any project Lotus' (Lotii?) on ebay. Completed projects, yes...

I dunno... It'll have to be a US car, that's for sure. :scratch:
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

You better let me drive it when its done. I want one too!

Kohburn wrote:thats one of my fav's too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lotus-Es ... 9817QQrdZ1
Fiero wing?!
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

close but i don't think it is
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

The suspension utterly blows my mind....

:thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Damn, that might even be able to take a Fiero in the twisties. Not Calikid's though.

That is an amazing suspension for stock. They look pretty cool I'll agree, though I bet they are a tad expensive, and REALLY expensive to restore.

The older ones only had a turbo 4, that'd need to be fixed. Also it needs dual exhaust. But the newer ones had a 3.5l twin turbo DOHC V8. OMFG :love10:
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Mach, if your serious about buying one i can help you find one. many of the Skyline importers can get / or have one of them in stock here in canada. Looked at one a few weeks ago
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

Series8217 wrote:Fiero wing?!
No, but it is a Firebird steering wheel. *chuckle*

I've always liked them too. I hear they weren't the best put together supercars, though. That's what a resto is for anyway. :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:That is an amazing suspension for stock. They look pretty cool I'll agree, though I bet they are a tad expensive, and REALLY expensive to restore.

The older ones only had a turbo 4, that'd need to be fixed. Also it needs dual exhaust. But the newer ones had a 3.5l twin turbo DOHC V8. OMFG :love10:
That actually looks like C3/C4 Corvette rear suspension.

What's wrong with turbo 4?

Colin Chapman never understood why a car would have to last longer than the duration of a Grand Prix race.
whipped

Post by whipped »

hahaha! I didn't even SEE this thread, and I posted about Lotuses (Lotii?) in crzyone's thread
whipped

Post by whipped »

Mach10 wrote:Lotus' (Lotii?)
Okay, seriously... stop it. :salute:
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: What's wrong with turbo 4?
A lot when you can have a twin turbo V8 :thumbleft:
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

The Twin Turbo Lotus 8s are brutally expensive, the car and the motor, and the parts.

Besides which, I think I can live with ONLY 285hp pushing a car that can run with the Countache's and Testarossa's of the time.

I would like a numbers matching restore job, and because I'm an idiot, probably a couple of bolt-on light mods (not that I think I'll be able to do much better than 285).

In any case, I just bought the Factory Service Manual for 91-93s. Purely as a reference, of course... But I'd like to know what I'm looking at.

Donk: I'm serious about it. I'm buying a house first, in the Spring, and I'll need time to settle in. But I would like to know what I'm looking at in terms of pricing for a rough-shape Lotus that's worthy of a restore.

I don't really want a rollover, since I don't want to be cutting large parts of the frame up... Ideally I'll find one with a bagged motor that some drunk idiot drove into the ditch, whanging up the lower body-panels, busting up the bumper, and tearing some shit apart on the underbody.

You know, lots of little things, but nothing structural. I'd like an intact and straight frame, even if the motor is knocking like Animal Control and the Morality Police at Aaron's college hazing.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I think it would be kickass to see a 4 cyl Esprit boosted to the absolute limits of the block. 500 HP turbo 4 in a car that can actually handle it, instead of a WWD econobox.

Go all the way...
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

WWD?
:scratch:

I kinda want this car to appreciate it for what it is. About the only japanese car that I truly like, inside, out, mechanically, stylistically, functionally....

I think 285hp plus whatever I can eake out of it during the rebuild will be plenty for me. Unless you wanna come by and help me out! :salute:

*drool*
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Wrong Wheel Drive
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

God I'm dumb... Lotus is BRITISH, not Japanese...

How the hell did I mix THAT up!? :scratch: