Ogre, I never knew

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

88GTneverfinsihed

Ogre, I never knew

Post by 88GTneverfinsihed »

http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum6/HTML/043764.html

Wow.

Maybe i missed something before but that was a shocker for me.

Wonder how many negs I'll pick up for calling him on it?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I don't think you'll pick up very many negs at all, you were too nice about it.

That being said, his comment was highly ignorant. Gun Control DOES NOT mean no one can own guns. Gun Control is simply making sure that the right people own them. For example, as the constitution states, you have and always will have the right to bear arms. Unless the Government considers you mentally incapable, or a danger to society. Thus those under 21 can't own weapons, and those with criminal backgrounds and such. Also, it requires the government keeping tabs on who owns what guns. So again, not saying you can't, just making it safe for everyone else.

On this issue, I am highly liberal and am a backer of gun control.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

oh man.... go read YOUR constitution again...

It says nothing about every yahoo is allowed to carry a gun for the hell of it. Its an abused left over law from way back in the day.

originally it said something about every citizen has the right to bear arms against the attacking forces (english /french at the time)
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Re: Ogre, I never knew

Post by stimpy »

That was pretty random.
z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

Post by z.MacK »

Whats the point? I have a 20 gauge, 9mm , and a sawed off 12 gauge pump.
Anyone without firepower is a dumbass.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

donk_316 wrote:oh man.... go read YOUR constitution again...

It says nothing about every yahoo is allowed to carry a gun for the hell of it. Its an abused left over law from way back in the day.

originally it said something about every citizen has the right to bear arms against the attacking forces (english /french at the time)
Actually, what it says is this: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/fac ... illeng.htm

Some people try to construe this as saying that only members of a regulated militia can bear arms, but that is not supportable from the wording. I read the intent as "Since armed men are the building blocks of a regulated militia, there shall be no shortage of armed men".
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Aaron wrote:I don't think you'll pick up very many negs at all, you were too nice about it.

That being said, his comment was highly ignorant. Gun Control DOES NOT mean no one can own guns. Gun Control is simply making sure that the right people own them. For example, as the constitution states, you have and always will have the right to bear arms. Unless the Government considers you mentally incapable, or a danger to society. Thus those under 21 can't own weapons, and those with criminal backgrounds and such. Also, it requires the government keeping tabs on who owns what guns. So again, not saying you can't, just making it safe for everyone else.

On this issue, I am highly liberal and am a backer of gun control.
\

18 and up can own rifles, shotguns and such. You have to be 21 to own a handgun.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Gun control requires two hands.
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Some people try to construe this as saying that only members of a regulated militia can bear arms, but that is not supportable from the wording. I read the intent as "Since armed men are the building blocks of a regulated militia, there shall be no shortage of armed men".
Exactly. The founding fathers were smart enough to realize an armed society is essential in preserving liberty. If we are ever invaded or attacked there will be no shortage of weaponry for the normal citizen to defend themselves.
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

V8Mikie wrote:The founding fathers were smart enough to realize an armed society is essential in preserving liberty.
I'm against gun control, but do you really believe that?

If so, do you also believe it was a mistake to abolish slavery? Why do you think they bought and sold slaves themselves? Don't you think the founding fathers were smart enough to realize slavery is essential in preserving liberty?
88GTneverfinsihed

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060820/pl_ ... e_usa_dc_1

"The top five states with the highest gun death rates are five states with incredibly weak gun laws," he said, listing Louisiana, Alabama, Alaska, New Mexico and Wyoming.
whipped

Post by whipped »

"Since September 11, much of the resources that were distributed to crime-fighting efforts in Boston and other major cities were redistributed to fight terrorism," said Jack Levin, director of the Brudnick Center on Violence and Conflict at Northeastern University.
and there's your answer.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

An armed society is a polite society.
whipped

Post by whipped »

88GTneverfinsihed wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060820/pl_ ... e_usa_dc_1

"The top five states with the highest gun death rates are five states with incredibly weak gun laws," he said, listing Louisiana, Alabama, Alaska, New Mexico and Wyoming.
PS- how many of those gun deaths were hunting related (a la Cheney)?

especially in alaska or wyoming, I mean come on...
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

did gun control help brittain? no they just have stabbings instead of shootings
88GTneverfinsihed

whipped wrote:
"Since September 11, much of the resources that were distributed to crime-fighting efforts in Boston and other major cities were redistributed to fight terrorism," said Jack Levin, director of the Brudnick Center on Violence and Conflict at Northeastern University.
and there's your answer.
I don't think Boston and the other major cities he was referring to fall within those states.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Gun laws only work on law abiding citizens.
whipped

Post by whipped »

88GTneverfinsihed wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060820/pl_ ... e_usa_dc_1

Well, I had to look this up...

Louisiana has 25.37 firearm deaths per 100,000.
Alabama has 20.05 firearm deaths per 100,000.
Alaska has 21.21 firearm deaths per 100,000.
New Mexico has 19.16 firearm deaths per 100,000.
Wyoming has 16.39 firearm deaths per 100,000.

All quite high, that's true.

But what about DC? Maybe they're not listed because they're technically not a state, but they have 60(!!) firearm deaths /100k. Anybody know the laws there?

And guess what? Of Alaska's 21 firearm deaths/100k, 15 of them were suicides. Only 4 were homicides 2 were unintentional deaths.

In Alabama and New Mexico, about 1/2 were suicides.

In Wyoming, 12 of the 16/100k were suicides. Yeah, they sure sound like a dangerous bunch. Don't want to live there. :uhoh:

Taken from here: http://www.vpc.org/Studies/whostate.htm
88GTneverfinsihed

The study you are citing is from 1996.

The article I quoted from was about the current wave of violence:

"In a shift from trends of the past decade, violent crime is on the rise, fueling criticism of Bush administration policies as a wave of murders and shootings hits smaller cities and states with little experience with serious urban violence."

Anyway, I didn't start this thread to debate gun control. I'm fine with responsable gun ownership, I just think we are flooded with them and they are too easy to get. It's usually easier to buy a gun than it is to get a drivers license.
whipped

Post by whipped »

Well if you have numbers from 2005, I'm all ears (eyes). :thumbleft: