Bikes

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Kohburn wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:40 in first at 7000 RPM? Egad. Atrocious.
not long enough? a hyabusa tops out at 83 in 1st
Is that it? An 04 Gixxer 1000 tops at 93 in 1st, indicated anyway. The K5's should be higher. I thought the Hyabusa was faster (and heavier)
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

EBSB52 wrote: Is that it? An 04 Gixxer 1000 tops at 93 in 1st, indicated anyway. The K5's should be higher. I thought the Hyabusa was faster (and heavier)
The Hayabusa isn't really any faster. In fact, ever since its production, it's acutally been SLOWER through the 1/4mi. It is just too heavy and doesn't have enough power over the 1000. I do believe however that it's top speed is higher than the 1000.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Aaron wrote:
EBSB52 wrote: Is that it? An 04 Gixxer 1000 tops at 93 in 1st, indicated anyway. The K5's should be higher. I thought the Hyabusa was faster (and heavier)
The Hayabusa isn't really any faster. In fact, ever since its production, it's acutally been SLOWER through the 1/4mi. It is just too heavy and doesn't have enough power over the 1000. I do believe however that it's top speed is higher than the 1000.
OK, that makes sense. I've only ever just looked at one, never riden. I think they're kinda fugly. The Gixxer 1000 is the best production liter streetbike of all time IMO. I would love to be able to afford a K5. It's so light that the power is somewhat unusable below 100mph tho. I bet it's a real challneg for roadracers in corners not to loose the rear wheel in corners. Amazing bike.....
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Don't take Aaron's word for it.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Busa is fucking ugly I agree, and they can't handle for shit. I've never ridden one, I don't think I'd want to.

The GSX-R1000 is the best literbike ever made. However nowadays, with the competition so tight, it comes down to which one you think looks better. All 4 of the majors are withing a tenth or two of each other, and within 20lbs. An average to above-average rider will not be able to tell the difference from one bike to the next. And of the 1000s I've ridden, HOLY SHIT are they fast. The CBR-1000RR I rode was just scary. 1st and 2nd gear were all but useless, anywhere above 6,000rpm it'd just pull the front right up, and I was tucked too! Simply astonishing that anyoen can buy these, there should be some sort of pre-req.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shut the fuck up will, you don't know shit about what you're talking about here.

The fastest time recorded on a GSX-R1000 by Sport Rider was a 9.774 @ 148.69. The fastest time for a Busa? 9.997 @ 144.8. And that was the 1999 model! The new ones are even slower, still stuck in the 10s!

For the record the Gix 1k is also faster 60-80 and 80-100. Top speed on the 2004 Gix 1k was 180mph, while the Busas are hovering 184-190 depending on year. After looking, the 1000 actually makes the same amount of power as the Busa, hovering right at 160rwhp for both, but the Busa is up about 20rwtq though. It weighs a rediculous 120lbs more.

So, exactly as I fucking said. The 1000 is faster through the 1/4mi, and the roll-ons, but slower top end.
whipped

Post by whipped »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Do not flame, bait, barb, piss on or otherwise exercise belligerence here.
both of you. I will get out my beating stick. Image
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:I've never ridden one
That's what I thought.

At least you have magazine info to back up what you say... just clarify when you're benchracing.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Aaron wrote:The Busa is fucking ugly I agree, and they can't handle for shit. I've never ridden one, I don't think I'd want to.

The GSX-R1000 is the best literbike ever made. However nowadays, with the competition so tight, it comes down to which one you think looks better. All 4 of the majors are withing a tenth or two of each other, and within 20lbs. An average to above-average rider will not be able to tell the difference from one bike to the next. And of the 1000s I've ridden, HOLY SHIT are they fast. The CBR-1000RR I rode was just scary. 1st and 2nd gear were all but useless, anywhere above 6,000rpm it'd just pull the front right up, and I was tucked too! Simply astonishing that anyoen can buy these, there should be some sort of pre-req.
I do agree that it comes down to brand loyalty and looks. I bought a Gixxer 110 new in 88, so I'm with Suzuki. They are all so insane and people looking to split hairs prolly just lost a race and are looking to rationalize their lesser skills. How about the Yami 600 - 17.5k redline = each piston traveling two strokes (up and down) almost 300 times per second.

I've had 4 gixxers, only 1 new but a 93 110 almost new and the new 1000's walk all over any of them more than I expected.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread - back to the topic!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

whipped wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Do not flame, bait, barb, piss on or otherwise exercise belligerence here.
both of you. I will get out my beating stick. Image
Hehe... Let this by no means prohibit a spirited debate :thumbleft:

I like to maintain the integrity of information here. I just got Aaron pissed enough to actually back up what he said about bikes and clarify the source of his info... after all, he's only ever ridden ONE thousand.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

EBSB52 wrote:How about the Yami 600 - 17.5k redline = each piston traveling two strokes (up and down) almost 300 times per second.
The new R6 is one badass bike. SportRider just named it the best 600-class supersport bike. Plus they look SWEET.

Should be said that the 17.5 redline is quite generous, testing has shown the acutal redline/fuel cut is some 1000-1500rpm below that. Still a revver, and still higher than the other 600s.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Aaron wrote:Shut the fuck up will, you don't know shit about what you're talking about here.

The fastest time recorded on a GSX-R1000 by Sport Rider was a 9.774 @ 148.69. The fastest time for a Busa? 9.997 @ 144.8. And that was the 1999 model! The new ones are even slower, still stuck in the 10s!

For the record the Gix 1k is also faster 60-80 and 80-100. Top speed on the 2004 Gix 1k was 180mph, while the Busas are hovering 184-190 depending on year. After looking, the 1000 actually makes the same amount of power as the Busa, hovering right at 160rwhp for both, but the Busa is up about 20rwtq though. It weighs a rediculous 120lbs more.

So, exactly as I fucking said. The 1000 is faster through the 1/4mi, and the roll-ons, but slower top end.
I was under the impression the 1300 was gobbs quicker and faster - apparently not. The 04 1000 I rode pulled me to 160 indicated, until I decided that driving in the car pool lane at that speed w/cars next to me was a bad idea, so I shut er down. It was still pulling at about 3 mph per 2 seconds as a guess. Tunnel vision like a mo fo. I need to get one :thumbleft:
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

Aaron wrote:Shut the fuck up will, you don't know shit about what you're talking about here.

This is all (as usual from Aaron) bullshit.

Here's a list of typical times for a busa along with references as to what magazine got what time on it.

http://www.qsl.net/n5mya/testdata.html

I'm not going to bother for the 1000. I just want to make sure our tech section stays accurate (assuming Will doesn't just delete it. hint...)
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Aaron wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:How about the Yami 600 - 17.5k redline = each piston traveling two strokes (up and down) almost 300 times per second.
The new R6 is one badass bike. SportRider just named it the best 600-class supersport bike. Plus they look SWEET.

Should be said that the 17.5 redline is quite generous, testing has shown the acutal redline/fuel cut is some 1000-1500rpm below that. Still a revver, and still higher than the other 600s.
I figured they'd be 20k, but they're like 10, right? I like em and would love to ride one, but @ 6'1" 225 lbs I wouldn't work well on it. Maybe they cut the fule or ignition early so the inertia doesn't throw it over redline? Yes/no??? It would seem like you would be way out the torque range by then anyway, so I agree, it sells just like HP sells.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

This is absolutely retarded. You have a kid who has rode ONE bike ... ONCE spouting "facts" about bikes he has never sat on.

The GSXR1300 was built as a "sport touring" bike whos sole purpose in life was to be "faster than the ZX12R". Which is arguably did... or did not, depending on who you talked too.

The GSXR1000 was built to be the quickest open class 1L bike and dominate it racing class.

The two bikes serve two seperate markets.

PS: ZX10R > GSXR1000... I would buy either a GSXR750 or a 2004 ZX10.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

MNFatz wrote:

This is all (as usual from Aaron) bullshit.

Here's a list of typical times for a busa along with references as to what magazine got what time on it.

http://www.qsl.net/n5mya/testdata.html

I'm not going to bother for the 1000. I just want to make sure our tech section stays accurate (assuming Will doesn't just delete it. hint...)
Thanks for that info.

I don't moderate for being wrong... who's to say I'm perfectly right?

I moderate for conduct... I occasionally demand supporting information for claims, but I'm not an expert on everything... bikes aren't my thing, for instance.

That's why this is a FORUM... there are people in the know about a great many things that no one person (as much as he might like to think so) knows.
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

donk_316 wrote:This is absolutely retarded. You have a kid who has rode ONE bike ... ONCE spouting "facts" about bikes he has never sat on.

The GSXR1300 was built as a "sport touring" bike whos sole purpose in life was to be "faster than the ZX12R". Which is arguably did... or did not, depending on who you talked too.

The GSXR1000 was built to be the quickest open class 1L bike and dominate it racing class.

Are you at ALL surprised? I mean..it's not the first time (or the last time) he's done it. Google Aaronz34 for some laugh out loud moments. He drives a Maybach on one website!

ZX10? screw that...ZX-14. :) I live in Illinois. The only curves are cloverleafs.

<shameless plug>

I've got an 1986 Ninja 1000R up for sale right now. Apparently Nigerians are really into Ninjas. You should have seen the scam emails I got on ebay. Anyway, rejetted/piped/geared/extras. It's a 20 year old sport touring bike in good shape.

edit: $1800, all trades considered. Drive it anywhere.

</shameless plug>
Last edited by MNFatz on Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

donk_316 wrote:This is absolutely retarded. You have a kid who has rode ONE bike ... ONCE spouting "facts" about bikes he has never sat on.

No way man, how is a ZX10 better than a GSXR 1000? :scratch:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

EBSB52 wrote:Maybe they cut the fule or ignition early so the inertia doesn't throw it over redline? Yes/no??? It would seem like you would be way out the torque range by then anyway, so I agree, it sells just like HP sells.
Inertia doesn't accelerate things.. it maintains the status quo. The only inertia that's going to increase the tach reading after the fuel is cut is the inertia of the tach needle.

Mass-production instrumentation has never been terribly reliable. I would expect this to be better on a sport bike than a car, but maybe the tach was off a little bit.
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:Maybe they cut the fule or ignition early so the inertia doesn't throw it over redline? Yes/no??? It would seem like you would be way out the torque range by then anyway, so I agree, it sells just like HP sells.
Inertia doesn't accelerate things.. it maintains the status quo. The only inertia that's going to increase the tach reading after the fuel is cut is the inertia of the tach needle.

Mass-production instrumentation has never been terribly reliable. I would expect this to be better on a sport bike than a car, but maybe the tach was off a little bit.
I'm curious how these things are assembled. The Z06 is supposed to be 'team' built instead of an assembly line. Are motorcyles done this way too? These things are so purpose built and change so damn often that I'm not sure anything short of a fully robotic assembly line would make any sense.