Aluminum Radiator question.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Summer in Florida sucks in a Fiero without A/C, doesn't it? BTDT.

As I recall, there was very little effect on coolant temps.
You freaking weirdos who do engine swaps without A/C... I swear.
Most of the older guys I showed the car to in Pensacola were as surprised that it had A/C as they were that the engine was in the car.
whipped wrote:AND keep idiots from jacking on them!
I don't see how you arrive at this conclusion. Idiots must be different where you're from... Someone who shoves a jack under a car and starts pumping without looking is going to fuck up tour really expensive aluminum extrusions just like he'd fuck up your less expensive stainless tubes. Who's going to be jacking your car up but you anyway?
whipped

Post by whipped »

No, I swear, they see the pipes, they just think they're part of some kind of tubular frame or something.

And off the top of my head....... Tire people, the most dangerous kind of them all
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: You freaking weirdos who do engine swaps without A/C... I swear.
Most of the older guys I showed the car to in Pensacola were as surprised that it had A/C as they were that the engine was in the car.
I agree. Everyone who asks about the swap asks about the A/C. I'M IN FUCKING COLORADO. I never use A/C, why even put it on there?

Even out here in OK it isn't warm emough to need it (The time of the year when I'm here at least). And then people like give a dissapointed "ohhh" when I say it doesn't. Get a grip, the only time I'd like to have it it is on the highway.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Actually you probably don't agree... I would *never* do an engine swap *without* A/C.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Actually you probably don't agree... I would *never* do an engine swap *without* A/C.
I agreed with the people being as shocked that it does (Or in myc ase does not) have A/C than of the swap itself.

It isn't like the A/C is hard to incorporate. 4 wires...Wow...
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

IF my Fiero had A/C from the factory I would install it, but it doesnt so it is not installed. Well, it doesnt have many options at all, biggest option is the sunroof.

Not many Fiero's here had A/C, I have only seen like 5 with A/C.
Forever-Fiero

Post by Forever-Fiero »

I run without one to cut on any lose in HP and weight I can. And live in mid. Missouri. Humidity suck here. 85* is like 93*.
whipped

Post by whipped »

Forever-Fiero wrote:I run without one to cut on any lose in HP and weight I can. And live in mid. Missouri. Humidity suck here. 85* is like 93*.
I originally said that too. But at most you gain maybe 25lbs, and you shouldn't have your AC on in a race anyways... ;)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ECM cuts A/C at WOT.
I don't understand the whole weight loss from A/C thing... it's not like it's rotating or unsprung weight. At 100# per .1 in the 1/4, I'd MUCH rather have A/C than save 25#.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:ECM cuts A/C at WOT.
I don't understand the whole weight loss from A/C thing... it's not like it's rotating or unsprung weight. At 100# per .1 in the 1/4, I'd MUCH rather have A/C than save 25#.
When I took my working setup out, I was under the impression from other fiero owners that everything was like 200 lbs. Of course I start removing everything ozone killing style, and come to find out after weighing all the big stuff, it came to like 35 lbs. I almost saw it coming though as I took everything to a scale in a box all under 1 arm. The compressor weighs the most. Everything else is aluminum

Now I didn't weigh the tubes that run to the front and rear of the car but those are aluminum so maybe a few more lbs there and then of course everything in the dash too prob has some weight to it over a non a/c car. So with everything gone and I mean everything, you might get 50 lbs. Worth it for me knowing what I know now? Hell no!!! FLorida heat sucks. But am I going to put it back on? No. Whats done is done.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

People don't realize how little weight is there. Everything's aluminum or a heat exchanger (low material density) or both. The compressor is probably at least half the weight of the system and it's less than 20#, weighed by my calibrated hand. Hell, the compressor is aluminum too.

The system doesn't have more than 2# of freon in it either.
whipped

Post by whipped »

somebody build a CF compressor :la:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I didn't just do it for the weight, I also gained a lot of space.

That all being said, I think I'm going to put A/C in on my black car.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Space for what?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Series8217 wrote:Space for what?
Ummm...I'll think of something.

I could put a centrifugal supercharger there :thumbleft:

But really, just space. It's nice to crawl under there, and actually have room to work with your hands and get to the wires and such, just room to work with. Like working on a 55 Bel Air compared to a Lumina. It just makes things easier.
Forever-Fiero

Post by Forever-Fiero »

Ok so not to much hevy about it but it's one less thing the crank has to tern(even off, the pully is taking power.) I know not much but every littel bit helps.

Electric water pump motor will go in it's place on mine.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

yea there is a company that makes an electric water pump system for the 60 degree. I forget the website though and it will work with the fiero timing cover.

They install the 60 degrees in like triumphs or some english car if I am not mistaken. maybe someone here knows what I am talking about.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:yea there is a company that makes an electric water pump system for the 60 degree. I forget the website though and it will work with the fiero timing cover.
It's called Davies-Craig.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I just checked their website but they don't list applications at least from what I saw.

Thats not the company anyways. Sure that might be the pump thats used, but thats not the company I am talking about.

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

It isn't, that's a universial pump (I'll be using one on my black DOHC).

You can use it on any motor, just block off your water pump housing.