88 V6 vs. 88 V8 weights on 4 pad race scales. Actual data.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

crazyd wrote:Mine is technically a clone, but as far as I'm concerned authenticity only applies to an engine when it is assembled as a part of a car at the factory, the rest is just marketing hype.
gotta agree there

fatz whats with the nitpicking over wording?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Well Dave, since you won't answer my question and everyone elses, I will just go ahead and assume that your 430 claimed hp engine only dynoed 297 to the wheels based on what members from .nl said who are freinds with V8Archie.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

BEWARE OF BEN PHELPS. YOU HAVE VEEN WARNED. WORSE THAN MILZY IMO

530 whp is greater than 312
crazyd

Post by crazyd »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Well Dave, since you won't answer my question and everyone elses, I will just go ahead and assume that your 430 claimed hp engine only dynoed 297 to the wheels based on what members from .nl said who are freinds with V8Archie.
Shaun - cite your source, it's all just rumor-mongering.

Even if my car had dynoed 297 to the wheels, I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed about it. That's what most LS1 C5's do, and that's what my goal was anyway, since this was supposed to be an LS1 in the first place.

Truth is, I have no idea what my car does in its current state of tune. I have been tuning, enhancing and fixing it off and on for four years. I'm much closer to my comfort zone where it should be now than I was four years ago. I'm not opposed to doing a dyno run, I'm just not really interested, and I can think of other things to do with $100 - or however much it costs to do a dyno run here in Washington. I own other cars that are faster so it's just a waste of time and money to me.

My BLMs are currently at 110, and until I see that come a lot closer to 128, it would be counterproductive to do a dyno run. But I'll tell you what. If someone with MAP tuning knowledge on a 730/262 or similar ECM would like to review my current BIN and help me get to that point, ensuring my AFR is dead on for max power at WOT, and we take up a collection for the dyno run, I'll do it. Do you, does this forum want to know badly enough to donate a couple bucks to the cause? Me, I get to drive it whenever I want, to which mere numbers cannot even begin to do justice (just ask Doug), so I couldn't care less.

Dave
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Motor TV from .nl posted your dyno info. He is the one that has the turbo 383 now. Its funny he talks about yours, but won't post dynos of his own that he indeed claims he has done. his reason? To keep trolls away. Pretty funny I think.

but thats your source. MotorTV from .nl I don't have the thread current, but if need be I could probably find it.
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

crazyd wrote:
MNFatz wrote:
crazyd wrote: MN - The engine in my car wasn't one of the serial-numbered, limited-run GM-built units, those were all sold in 1998 and were carbureted.
Dude, that sucks.

No, Dave. It's not technically a clone, it IS a clone. I really wish you wouldn't represent it as a ZZ430 if it isn't one. All it does is add to the crappy reputation V8 owners already have.

Yes, the originals were balanced, blueprinted and assembled by teams of builders at GMPP. Instead of being assembled on an assembly 'line', each engine was built in teams-the same small group assembled it from crank to carb. After they were done, the engine was dyno'd to confirm it made it's advertised horsepower and shipped with a copy of that very dynosheet .

Slapping anything on any motor and calling it a ZZ430 if it isn't one--now that's a fake.

That's all I'm going to say about it.

Man, you've picked the wrong guy to start a fight with. With something that should start out so simple, I've got this armchair keyboard jockey calling me a fraud over yet another trivial detail about whether an engine's name is still its name if its pedigree doesn't match up to the press release from GM's marketing department. It's time for the beacon of reality. As Will's dark side has so eloquently stated elsewhere, "you need a more advanced bullshit filter, dude." Those 430 engines were a gimmick from the marketing department, with pretty words in the press release "written by people with fine arts degrees condescending to the public" to give them a reason to spend more on something than it's worth. GM's marketing hacks do this all the time because it's their job to convince you that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts when they have to sell something they've put together from the public parts bin. And apparently, you're their tool. So tell me Mr. Fatz, is a Northstar still a Northstar if it has been rebuilt? Does that make it a Northstar "clone"? What if you put a different cam in it, or do something as simple as replace the PCV valve or use non-GM oil? Should we still call that a Northstar? Does it really matter? Nobody cares, dude. I have a difficult enough time explaining what a Fiero is to the unwashed masses, much less trying to explain what a ZZ430 is. Now quit your callow nitpicking before you really piss me off.
..and another disgrace to the V8 Fiero world. My apoliges to anyone else who happens to find this clown's post through a search engine.

Translation: You're a poser driving a Fake ZZ430.

You didn't even have the talent to do the swap yourself so you had to have Archee do it for you.
crazyd wrote: Man, you've picked the wrong guy to start a fight with.
No, I haven't. I've made posers alot smarter than you look alot less stupid.

Now. Let's address your individual claims.
crazyd wrote: So tell me Mr. Fatz, is a Northstar still a Northstar if it has been rebuilt? Does that make it a Northstar "clone"?
No, it makes it a rebuilt Northstar. If you rebuild a ZZ430, you have a rebuilt ZZ430. When you rebuild your fake ZZ430, you'll have a rebuilt fake ZZ430 (well, a hopped up ZZ4, but if you'd rather tell people you have a rebuilt fake zz430, that's up to you).
crazyd wrote: What if you put a different cam in it, or do something as simple as replace the PCV valve or use non-GM oil? Should we still call that a Northstar?
No, you should call it a NorthStar with a cam in it like the rest of the world does. Brag about what oil you use if you must, I couldn't care less.
crazyd wrote: I have a difficult enough time explaining what a Fiero is to the unwashed masses, much less trying to explain what a ZZ430 is. Now quit your callow nitpicking before you really piss me off.
I'll bet that because you're lying to them about your engine. Tell them you have a hopped up ZZ4 in a Fiero (which dyno'd at a respectably 300 WHP) and you might find it easier.

I'm not going to respond to you anymore--but the minute you try to claim to anyone on this site that you're driving a ZZ430 I'll be there to make sure they know the truth. I hope you drop the act and stick around because I'd like to know about your car.

Here's a link to an auction for a real ZZ430 incidentally. Serial number #087. They want $12,000.00 for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZZ430-CR ... enameZWDVW

The choice is yours,

-Fatz

p.s. I bet that really pisses you off.

Will: I'd appreciate it if you let this post stay.
Red

Post by Red »

crazyd wrote:
My BLMs are currently at 110, and until I see that come a lot closer to 128, it would be counterproductive to do a dyno run.
(Back to a technical discussion here....)

What factors influence the BLM value? What type of things would make it closer to 128?

Also, while on this subject, anyone care to shed some light on what the integrator and cell numbers do in an ECM and what factors influence their values?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

crazyd wrote: Even if my car had dynoed 297 to the wheels, I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed about it. That's what most LS1 C5's do, and that's what my goal was anyway, since this was supposed to be an LS1 in the first place.
Actually, LS1 C5s along with most SLP LS1 F-bodies put down consistent 330s.
crazyd

Post by crazyd »

You didn't even have the talent to do the swap yourself so you had to have Archee do it for you.
I knew it would come to this. I told you not to insult me, because you have no idea what I've been through with this car. Now you're going to find out.

I paid Archee to do the R&D work and complete an LS1 swap for me in April of 1999, because at that time nobody knew how to get an LS1 into a Fiero, much less if it was even possible. I waited three years and he never finished it, with no end in sight. In April of 2002 I bought a ZZ430 from S&P and had him finish it. Got that? The LS1 swap was already paid for three years beforehand. During that time I had already bought another Fiero and replaced its engine with a 3.4. In my driveway. In the middle of winter. Twice, because the first engine was bad.

Then I spent the next six months managing every aspect of the conversion, learning about how V8 swaps are done and making sure it was done my way. I quit my job and sold my house in Virginia and moved to a campground near Archee's shop in Chicago so I could come in as often as necessary. Several weeks at a time I was there at the shop every single day. Sometimes I would stay late working on my car after everybody else went home and even slept in V8Archie's shop, on the floor, so I could start working on it again first thing in the morning. If you've ever been to Archee's shop before you know what that's like. I've pulled cradles out of Fieros more times than you dream about talking to a woman without having to use your credit card. So don't you dare tell me how much I did or didn't do, or presume to think you have any idea of my level of knowledge with Fieros.
crazyd

Post by crazyd »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Thanks for joining and posting, Dave.
I ALWAYS want to hear things straight from the source. I think that this is important for the integrity of this forum as a technical resource.

I think that if the problems you encountered could be stumbling blocks to others, then they ought to be brought to light. If you have a problem with a *person* rather than an aspect of your car, that is, of course, between the two of you, but I'd like to hear about the car related problems you've had.

I'd also like to hear about what's different in your swap.
Here's what I can tell you.
What's different?
  • Engine/trans shifted 2 3/8" to the driver's side
    Custom accessory drive system for alternator, compressor & water pump
    No wheelwell intrusion
    No mishmash of random parts cobbled together in heads/intake
    6-part exhaust system with 2 mufflers, 2 cats and 2 resonators
What has broken due to the V8 swap?
  • 5 axles
    2 starters
    1 alternator
    5 throttle cables
    1 select cable
    12 plug wires
    2 headers
    6 batteries
    1 fuel pump
    2 floor mats
    1 ignition module
    1 oxygen sensor
    8 spark plugs
    1 knock sensor
    2 catalytic converters
    1 K&N filter
    3 Polyurethane bushings
product1620

Post by product1620 »

2 floor mats
The V8 broke your floor mats, DAYUM, talk about teh mad Torqzors! :la:
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I can only guess V8Archie fixed all your broken axles? In the back of the FOCOA magazines he would guarantee that he wuold fix the axle if you broke one from using his kit.

Also with you doing all the work on your car yourself, you still paid V8Archie to do teh swap?

No broken trannies?
crazyd

Post by crazyd »

He replaced the first four but hasn't replaced the fifth axle I broke a year and a half ago. It was just going to break again anyway, so I was forced to have custom axles made elsewhere.

No broken transaxles.
crazyd

Post by crazyd »

product1620 wrote:
2 floor mats
The V8 broke your floor mats, DAYUM, talk about teh mad Torqzors! :la:
Yeah, I put that there because of how they "broke" (they melted) and why.
Formula69

Post by Formula69 »

Ar-chie was talking about stock axles not breaking. Since Dave's engine is shifted, it uses custom axles. Different situation completely.

As for the ZZ430 arguement, it may not be a serial numbered from GM ZZ430, but if you use all of the GM ZZ430 parts in it, calling it a ZZ430 is just an efficient way to inform people what the engine has.

It's a lot quicker than saying it's a ZZ4 with Fast Burn Heads, GM Hot Cam, and 1.6 roller rockers....blah blah blah.

I'd call it a clone only because those engines were limited production and numbered - so if it doesn't have the number, it's not "collectable." That would be a non-issue for a RPO engine. Assemble an LS1 from all LS1 parts and it's still an LS1, even if it didn't roll out of the GM engine factory as a completed unit.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Thanks Dave for the info.

Also what MotorTV said about your dyno numbers. Can you comment on that? Is he lying? Did you not go to the dyno with him and dyno 1 hp less then him?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

BEWARE OF BEN PHELPS. YOU HAVE VEEN WARNED. WORSE THAN MILZY IMO

530 whp is greater than 312
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Red wrote:
crazyd wrote:
My BLMs are currently at 110, and until I see that come a lot closer to 128, it would be counterproductive to do a dyno run.
(Back to a technical discussion here....)

What factors influence the BLM value? What type of things would make it closer to 128?

Also, while on this subject, anyone care to shed some light on what the integrator and cell numbers do in an ECM and what factors influence their values?
This site will answer all your questions:

http://www.customefis.com/GMEFI.html
aaron88

Back on topic

Post by aaron88 »

Boy, are we ever off topic!

88 GT, Northstar, Getrag 282, PW, PL, PM, no spare tire, about 1/2 tank of gas, 180 lb driver.

Scale accurate within 10 lb.

1300 lb, Front 44%
1660 lb, Rear 56%
2940 lb, total 100%
Minus driver, 2760 lb total.

About 400 lb's too much if you ask me.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

So your identical Fiero, besides my 2.8 and your N*, weighs fucking 40 pounds less.

Iron shouldn't be allowed on Earth.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

crazyd wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:Petroleum is about 7#/gal (water is 8), so an 11.5 gallon tank adds about 80# to the car's weight... just enough for an empty tank to make a difference in the 1/4 mile.
Dunno why you're saying I put oil in my gas tank, but I have gasoline in it, and gasoline only weighs 6#/gal. :scratch:
We always used a temp dependent figure between 6.7 & 7 for jet fuel, which isn't too far from gasoline.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Back on topic

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

aaron88 wrote:Boy, are we ever off topic!

88 GT, Northstar, Getrag 282, PW, PL, PM, no spare tire, about 1/2 tank of gas, 180 lb driver.

Scale accurate within 10 lb.

1300 lb, Front 44%
1660 lb, Rear 56%
2940 lb, total 100%
Minus driver, 2760 lb total.

About 400 lb's too much if you ask me.
What kind of scale?
Chase Race wrote:The scales:
I do not know how accurate the total weights are, but for my normal purposes the connsistancy is what matters so I haven't upgraded to the good digital scales yet.