DVI cable question

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

V8Mikie

DVI cable question

Post by V8Mikie »

What kind of DVI cable do I need to connect my PC with my TV? I have a 42" widescreen HD and a geforce 6800 video card. Also where to get it would be nice.

thanks!
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I guess it would depend on what the connection on your video card looks like. I am guessing its a VGA style connector? If so, you need a VGA to DVI.

Probably $50. Maybe way cheaper on ebay. I got a VGA to VGA for my TV to computer for like $8 I think on ebay.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

a DVI cable if your HD TV has DVI input and your video card has DVI output.
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

eHoward wrote:a DVI cable if your HD TV has DVI input and your video card has DVI output.
Yea it does but I heard there are different "types" of DVI cables, something about digital and analog.
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I guess it would depend on what the connection on your video card looks like. I am guessing its a VGA style connector? If so, you need a VGA to DVI.

Probably $50. Maybe way cheaper on ebay. I got a VGA to VGA for my TV to computer for like $8 I think on ebay.
Thats not a bad price, but I do have DVI inputs on my TV and video card. I am gonna check ebay now.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

Correction, I have 2 HDMI inputs and 0 DVI inputs. Will this cable work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/15-FT-GOLD-HDMI-to- ... dZViewItem
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

LOL

I was going to post that my 42 inch plazma had zero DVI and half a dozen HDMI but figured if you knew how to make a turboV8 awd fiero, you could figure out connections.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

If your video card is DVI and your tv is HDMI then that will work yes.

You will not get audio to your tv though remember. HDMI passes audio and video but DVI only passes video so you will need an audio output. computer speakers should work if you are watching something through your computer.
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

eHoward wrote:LOL

I was going to post that my 42 inch plazma had zero DVI and half a dozen HDMI but figured if you knew how to make a turboV8 awd fiero, you could figure out connections.
Hey my turbo V8 awd fiero is a different beast than these crazy DVI connections on the new age plazmas!!!

seriously will that cable work or not FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! :sad2:
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:If your video card is DVI and your tv is HDMI then that will work yes.

You will not get audio to your tv though remember. HDMI passes audio and video but DVI only passes video so you will need an audio output. computer speakers should work if you are watching something through your computer.
gotcha, ill just use the computer speakers. :thumbleft:
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

No workie. I bought a DVI-HDMI cable and I get nothing.

Any ideas?

The one I bought says...

DVI-TO-HDMI

HIGH DEFINITION ALL DIGITAL VIDEO INTERFACE M-TO-M 10ft.
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

If your output isn't digital (i.e., a proper DVI out and you're using a VGA to DVI adaptor) you won't be able to use HDMI.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

Ugh, I don't think my video card has a TV out. I dunno. It has a DVI out so I thought that meant that is a TV out.

I'm confused and about to just buy a new video card.
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Depends if it's a proper digital DVI output or just a plain analog DVI.

Depending on the card, you might have to set the DVI adaptor up separately. 6800 should be able to do this:

Reboot the machine, with your MONITOR plugged into the VGA port. Run the card's multidisplay tool, and set up the SECOND output (DVI) up to "mirror" existing display. But remember that it has to be set to a resonable resolution; higher than 1024x768 won't usually display properly on most TVs.

That should enable digital out--otherwise it'll just be outputting analog under the assumption that it's hooked up to an analog monitor.

You may have to dork around with the TV as well to get it to recognize the HDMI input.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

Thanks, I'll try this out first :thumbleft:
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Gimme the make and model of the card, I'll see what I can find. :thumbleft:
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

In the device manager all I see is NVIDIA GeForce 6800.

No GT or GTX or anything, I think its the basic one.

Speaking of which, my old 6600 GT had a Nvidia taskbar thing that booted at startup and you could change a ton of settings. I don't see anything with this one. How do I alter the settings like you described?

thanks,
Jeff
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

I got it! Thanks for the help, I got into the settings and changed the secondary device.

thanks again,
Jeff
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

You don't know the brand of the card?

*sigh*

H-okay. download and install this before you do ANYTHING else:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/license/l ... h_whql.exe

Use the "nView" utility to set everything up.

Here's teh user guides:
desktop manager guide

Display properties user's guide