Looking for a new daily driver

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Damn, I got quite a few replies and a lot of varying opinions.

First off, I have to say that the GTO is something that has shot up my list lately. I think the styling of it is nice and clean but doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like the STI. The things that kinda kill it for me are the potential bad mileage and I'm scared to find out what the insurance would be.

The CTS-V is practically the perfect car for my ideal daily driver. I would sacrifice poor mileage for all the positives. 400hp, six-speed, four doors with good seating space, and it just looks fucking hot. If I were to find one in my price range with under 20k miles, it would probably be my #1 choice. The main negs are that I would have to buy used, the seats kinda suck IMO, and the price.

As for the STI people, I drove an '04 STI and I thought it was laggy. I've heard they made changes since then so I might be wrong about that. I did consider the Legacy as an option, but there's just soemthing that I don't like about it, I dunno.

Mazdaspeed3- Looked into it. It's a pretty good car, but once again there's just something about it that doesn't interest me in it.

The Ridgeline is the closest thing I would get to a truck. I'm not a truck person, so the tranverse engine layout means nothing to me. But as far as functionality, the thing is great. AWD, towing capability, comfortable 4-passenger seating, and you can haul a ton of shit in the bed. In all reality, if I went for total practicality in my choice, this would be the vehicle I would drive, plus I wouldn't mod it, so I could put all my efforts into my Fiero and Mustang.

Another thing about the CTS-V. About a year ago, I got to inspect a trailer that had two CTS-V race cars from I think the American Lemans Grand Prix series. The suspension was virtually stock on the cars and they did pretty well in the series from what I remember.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Series8217 wrote:Damn straight you better backpedal. You're dissing a car with an LS-series motor. That's CHEVY right thar.
Don't make me go all A-wrong on this shit and tell you about the time I drove a a Porsche Carrera GT at 200mph through Monterey and raced a cop. After I swapped in a 3.4 DOHC. Don't question me.
<Insert Sig Here>
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

eHoward wrote:My father's got a GTO. Gets well under 20mpg. I think the computer estimated like 14.something last time I was in it.
Wow. I wouldn't have expected it to be that low. I @$$ume that odometer vs. gas pump checks confirm this? Does he even try to get good mileage or does he just boot around the city with foot on the floor and tires ablaze all the time?
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

God wrote:Damn, I got quite a few replies and a lot of varying opinions.

First off, I have to say that the GTO is something that has shot up my list lately. I think the styling of it is nice and clean but doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like the STI. The things that kinda kill it for me are the potential bad mileage and I'm scared to find out what the insurance would be.

The CTS-V is practically the perfect car for my ideal daily driver. I would sacrifice poor mileage for all the positives. 400hp, six-speed, four doors with good seating space, and it just looks fucking hot. If I were to find one in my price range with under 20k miles, it would probably be my #1 choice. The main negs are that I would have to buy used, the seats kinda suck IMO, and the price.

As for the STI people, I drove an '04 STI and I thought it was laggy. I've heard they made changes since then so I might be wrong about that. I did consider the Legacy as an option, but there's just soemthing that I don't like about it, I dunno.

Mazdaspeed3- Looked into it. It's a pretty good car, but once again there's just something about it that doesn't interest me in it.

The Ridgeline is the closest thing I would get to a truck. I'm not a truck person, so the tranverse engine layout means nothing to me. But as far as functionality, the thing is great. AWD, towing capability, comfortable 4-passenger seating, and you can haul a ton of shit in the bed. In all reality, if I went for total practicality in my choice, this would be the vehicle I would drive, plus I wouldn't mod it, so I could put all my efforts into my Fiero and Mustang.

Another thing about the CTS-V. About a year ago, I got to inspect a trailer that had two CTS-V race cars from I think the American Lemans Grand Prix series. The suspension was virtually stock on the cars and they did pretty well in the series from what I remember.
You should definatly try to find a V. I want one really bad. The only yhing is the 04s and 05s had rear diff problems I think. I haven't read the forums for awhile, so I don't know if this got taken care of or not. I do remember some people were on their 3rd or 4th one.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I've never driven a full tank of gas in the thing so I can't confirm if the computer is right.

I don't think he cares about fuel mileage. He was talking about picking up an Aston Martin yesterday to replace it when the lease is up.
The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Wow. I wouldn't have expected it to be that low. I @$$ume that odometer vs. gas pump checks confirm this? Does he even try to get good mileage or does he just boot around the city with foot on the floor and tires ablaze all the time?
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I would rather have the GTO then the CTS-V. Believe it or not, I think the interior is nicer in the GTO. You might get laid more with the caddy though.
God wrote: The CTS-V is practically the perfect car for my ideal daily driver. I would sacrifice poor mileage for all the positives. 400hp, six-speed, four doors with good seating space, and it just looks fucking hot. If I were to find one in my price range with under 20k miles, it would probably be my #1 choice. The main negs are that I would have to buy used, the seats kinda suck IMO, and the price.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Who wants a caddy with a chevy engine? I personally don't like the looks.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Hehe.

That reminds me of a blog I read a while back... some elitist asshole was saying how he didn't want a CTS-V *only* because it had an engine derived from Chevrolet, and if Cadillac was serious about competing with BMW, etc, then they'd have to put their own engines into everything.

Nevermind that an LS2 or LS7 equipped CTS will be MORE THAN 100 POUNDS LIGHTER over the nose than one equipped with a supercharged Northstar that will not make significantly improved power...

What's the priority? Cachet or performance? Ask Ferrari. You don't get the cachet without the performance to begin with. Put the LS7 into the CTS-V2 and keep the STS-V for the guys who are cross-shopping an M5.

Hell, ditch the supercharger and turbo the Northstar to 600 ponies and laugh at M5's all day long.
Mr. Pat

Post by Mr. Pat »

We have 2 speed3's on the lot if you're interested. They wont let us drive them, but ive heard nothing but praise for them.....supposidly outhandles an STI also....got an SRT-10 ram too if you're intersted....Shit, we have about 500 cars on the lot at any given time.
86 GT, LT1/4T60-E...slower than a crippled dog.