Anyone in here know much about semi-automatic rifles?

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

whipped

Post by whipped »

It means it fires when the bolt closes instead of when you pull the trigger

:thumbleft:
GT86

Post by GT86 »

I wouldn't worry much about a slam fire. There's a lot of internet rumors around, but very, very few instances of slam fires, assuming the firearm is kept in good condition. What freaks some people out is that the firing pin is free-floating. When chambering a round, the pin flies forward because of momentum, and will dent the primer. This is normal, and happens on the M1, M1A/M14, and M16, among other rifles. But the pin will not have enough energy to fire the primer in this fashion. You could in theory have a problem if you are using very soft commercial primers, but the likelihood is extremely low.

The most common cause of slam fires is poor maintenance. If crud is allowed to build up in the firing pin channel, it could restrict the pin's movement. If this happens, the pin can get stuck in a forward position, which could cause slams. It generally takes quite a bit of build-up to cause this, so just make sure you clean the pin and channel during your cleaning sessions, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Other causes tend to be poor quality ammo, or improperly reloaded ammo. If you reload, pay close attention to primer seating and maintaining proper bullet seating.

Of course, any mechanical device can fail, so always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when you are chambering a round.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

whipped wrote:It means it fires when the bolt closes instead of when you pull the trigger

Now I know what you mean. I know exactly what you mean. Someone almost blew their brains out in basic training because of that very thing.

The M16 is notorious for it. All you need to do is slam the butt into the ground and it will happen, and that's how it happened to this other kid, but his safety was off when it was supposed to be on.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
GT86

Post by GT86 »

Starlite528 wrote:
whipped wrote:It means it fires when the bolt closes instead of when you pull the trigger

Now I know what you mean. I know exactly what you mean. Someone almost blew their brains out in basic training because of that very thing.

The M16 is notorious for it. All you need to do is slam the butt into the ground and it will happen, and that's how it happened to this other kid, but his safety was off when it was supposed to be on.
The M16 WAS notorious in it's early days, but this was due to a heavy firing pin. This was changed, and the problem went away. The situation you describe would not lead to a slam fire if the rifle was in proper working condition. Chances are, the guy had his finger on the trigger.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

It was an M16A2. His finger could not have been on the trigger (unless he was holding it in a really weird way) because this was the "three to five second rush" live fire training. This drill sergeants were definitely on edge for this one. He got yelled at for a good while. He was the one poor kid that has no aptitude whatsoever for mechanical things like a rifle.
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

uhh pics?

:scratch:
whipped

Post by whipped »

Starlite528 wrote:It was an M16A2. His finger could not have been on the trigger (unless he was holding it in a really weird way) because this was the "three to five second rush" live fire training. This drill sergeants were definitely on edge for this one. He got yelled at for a good while. He was the one poor kid that has no aptitude whatsoever for mechanical things like a rifle.
PYLE!!!!
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

V8Mikie wrote:uhh pics?

Real real soon, I promise. This past weekend I moved in with my girlfriend, and then the weekend is when I work. I will try and get some up by Monday.
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

DiggityBiggity wrote:
V8Mikie wrote:uhh pics?

Real real soon, I promise. This past weekend I moved in with my girlfriend, and then the weekend is when I work. I will try and get some up by Monday.
sweet. This is my first weekend off in like a month and was planning on going to the range but our summer like weather of last week is gone for snow tomorrow morning :angry:
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

uh oh - diggit is going to ass-ass-irate someone
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

Kohburn wrote:uh oh - diggit is going to ass-ass-irate someone
Oh please... I'm not that retarded
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

DiggityBiggity wrote:
Kohburn wrote:uh oh - diggit is going to ass-ass-irate someone
Oh please... I'm not that retarded
lol of course, but if I had typed it correctly then you might have had a tail following you for a few weeks ;P
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

Kohburn wrote: you might have had a tail following you for a few weeks ;P
The depths of my paranoia go unnoticed by most. The ones who catch a glimpse... call me crazy. The ones who read a page, pity me... the ones who finish a chapter... join me
GT86

Post by GT86 »

Nice rifle, now we need a range report :thumbleft:
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

you forgot the "this is my rifle this is my gun" pose.

lets see those tighty whities!
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

That rifle kicks fucking ass. Gonna leave it stock, or deck it out a la M21/M25?

Have you been walking around shouting "THIS IS MY RIFLE! THERE ARE MANY OTHERS LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE! MY RIFLE IS MY BEST FRIEND, IT IS MY LIFE..."?
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

Blue Shift wrote:That rifle kicks fucking ass. Gonna leave it stock, or deck it out a la M21/M25?

Have you been walking around shouting "THIS IS MY RIFLE! THERE ARE MANY OTHERS LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE! MY RIFLE IS MY BEST FRIEND, IT IS MY LIFE..."?
I'm gonna do two modifications to it.

1. Springfield Armory Scope. The thing I like about that specific scope, still leaves the iron sites available for closer targets.

2. Vortex Flash Suppressor. A little lighter (but it's literally ounces that go unnoticed) but it's the one used by our military. The flash suppressor on the gun now is great, the Vortex, even better.

As far as "This is my rifle..." I have been taking it apart, and putting it back together. I hope to be able to do it blindfolded soon.
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

Sweet rifle, next up - range report!
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

V8Mikie wrote:Sweet rifle, next up - range report!
Next week