Electronics nerds, please?

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Falcon4

Electronics nerds, please?

Post by Falcon4 »

Hey.

I'm gonna toss this question up on a couple boards, and see if I can get a useful answer from either one. I'm pretty positive, but considering as though most of the information on those pages means darn near nothing to me, I want to know if there's someone that can make sense of it.

A long time ago I exploded the living shit out of a high-power APC UPS by trying to start an air conditioner off it (it was in spec, bastards! stupid starting surge). VERY stupid, yes, I know, but at least it was better than dropping a screwdriver onto the board while it was running. Mmm... I tend to do this a bit.

Anyway, the parts that seem to be affected were a set of MOSFETs on the board. Two of them are visibly damaged (aka: shattered), I don't know about the others. I also noticed two traces on the board were damaged, but that should be fixable with some hard-wiring.

Unfortunately the MOSFET chips used on the board are out of production (obviously, given the UPS is over 10 years old), and I wasn't able to find a direct part-replacement on Mouser's part search. However, I did find the original part's data sheet, and an approximate guess of what should be a drop-in replacement/upgrade.

Can anyone tell me if this part (STP35NF10) is an appropriate replacement for this original part (SMP40N10)? What specifications in those sheets are "upgradable" (e.g., say, less heat, higher capacity) with modern manufacturing, while the UPS wouldn't need any other changes? Anything at all?

The UPS uses 4 sets of 5 of these chips, and I think it's just one row that got knocked out. But is there a way to test if others aren't working properly - other than to replace the damaged ones, plug it in, and see if it fries itself? :P

Thanks!
'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153... 156... 157... 158... 161k... 163k... 165k... 168k... SHIT I LOST COUNT
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

no.
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

How delightfully informative. Thanks for the information. :la:

Anyone else?
'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153... 156... 157... 158... 161k... 163k... 165k... 168k... SHIT I LOST COUNT
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

I don't know. If you can find out if this is an online UPS, or a standby/switch (where it switches from line to battery on powerfail), that can be important. Online UPS's are much more expensive IIRC, and would be worth the repair. Otherwise, it's easier to just get a new UPS.

Check out www.govliquidation.com . I'm sure you can find pallets worth of them there, you can't count on whether they work or not and you will for sure need new batts.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Falcon4 wrote:How delightfully informative. Thanks for the information. :la:

Anyone else?
hmm.. no.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

They will work fine. But you will have some other problem with the UPS and blame the mossfet, and call us idiots for saying it would work. so......

no
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

Starlite528 wrote:I don't know. If you can find out if this is an online UPS, or a standby/switch (where it switches from line to battery on powerfail), that can be important. Online UPS's are much more expensive IIRC, and would be worth the repair. Otherwise, it's easier to just get a new UPS.

Check out www.govliquidation.com . I'm sure you can find pallets worth of them there, you can't count on whether they work or not and you will for sure need new batts.
It's a 1,500 watt 48v APC Smart-UPS... old, yes, but still high powered and expensive by today's standards (not to mention, I believe those battery packs are still in use today). Those chips are a buck a piece, too... my time is gladly exchangeable to save or make a few bucks. :P

And p8ntman and Series, I'm soooo glad I posted this on more than one forum. :la:
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

Another reply I got on another forum made things a lot more clearer than the "mud" I got here...
After analyzing the specs on both chips, (STP35NF10) will be a viable replacement for the original part. I noticed that the avalanche charge max is a little higher on the (STP35NF10), so maybe it will handle the charge better. I hope, haha! Some aspects of it are an upgrade, and 1 or 2 are downgrades, but all in all, it will work.

As for testing the others, I would suggest an Ohmeter. Touch the outside teeth with the pos and neg prongs of the ohmeter, if a charge is detected it's good. The middle tooth is the grounder I believe.

Anyways, best luck to repairing your UPS! Happy Soldering!
And you wonder why I have trouble "taking" the "advice" around here... :la:
cactus bastard

Post by cactus bastard »

Falcon4 wrote: And you wonder why I have trouble "taking" the "advice" around here... :la:
At least you have no problems taking teh cock around here.
Why would you eat bad ice cream?
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Dude, this is a fucking car forum. What did you really expect?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Falcon4 wrote:
DIAF
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

Xanth wrote:Dude, this is a fucking car forum. What did you really expect?
I expected those who knew shit, to come in here and provide advice, not people who didn't know a transistor from a hole in the head to come in here and say "haha u suk".
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Falcon4 wrote: I expected those who knew shit, to come in here and provide advice, not people who didn't know a transistor from a hole in the head to come in here and say "haha u suk".
Well, neither of those happened.

Instead, the people who knew shit came in here and said "haha u suk".

What should that tell you about your reputation here?

EDIT: changed "does" to "should"
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

Yeah stooopid me, having that degree in electrical engineering and telling you they would work.

I really do feel stupid having given you the right answer. I could easily have rambled off some jargon you wouldnt understand and told you to keep looking just to be a dickhead, but I didnt.

Bottom line, if you cant pic a replacement chip, you wont get that thing working again. Why dont you go spend 5 years getting a degree and then you can back up your "better than thou" shit.

GO FUCK YOURSELF!
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

No u suk lolol.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

crzyone wrote:
Falcon4 wrote:
DIAF
YUP.. definately DIAF
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Falcon4 wrote:Another reply I got on another forum made things a lot more clearer than the "mud" I got here...
After analyzing the specs on both chips, (STP35NF10) will be a viable replacement for the original part. I noticed that the avalanche charge max is a little higher on the (STP35NF10), so maybe it will handle the charge better. I hope, haha! Some aspects of it are an upgrade, and 1 or 2 are downgrades, but all in all, it will work.

As for testing the others, I would suggest an Ohmeter. Touch the outside teeth with the pos and neg prongs of the ohmeter, if a charge is detected it's good. The middle tooth is the grounder I believe.

Anyways, best luck to repairing your UPS! Happy Soldering!
So, Mr. I Can Find Better Electronics Adivce Elsewhere, what forum is that from?
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

http://www.afblues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2767#2767

http://www.bluehostforum.com/showthread.php?p=32410

Hmm, looks like they said the same thing, yes it will work, but you probably killed something else, so throw it away.

Just because they havent met the "you" that we know, means that their replies were nicer.
whipped

Post by whipped »

Looks like a multiphase switching power supply. The odds of it working again as god intended: 6.2% :la:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Pwcayfi = K/N^2

where

Pwcayfi = Probability of working correctly after you fix it

N = number of components in device.

K = skill constant; higher for more skill, lower for less

This rule is generally applicable.