3.9 g6 gtp motor?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

the-dude1

3.9 g6 gtp motor?

Post by the-dude1 »

has anybody done or thought about doing a swap with the 3.9 out of the G6? it will bolt up with out a plate right? it seems like a nice motor 240 hp/245tq na.
fieronews

Post by fieronews »

One has just been put on ebay. It is my Friends and the motor is clean. I would like to see this swap done but he does not have the time to work on this.
Fiero Thomas
86 Fiero GT 85 Fiero GT
88 Formula T-Top
www.fieronews.net
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

that is the one i was looking at!!
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I have done 3 and the Punisher has done 5.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I have done 3 and the Punisher has done 5.
thats helpful

the most difficult part of that swap is going to be the electronics. it did have the option of a manual trans so that helps but you may need the dash display and ignition passkey deal.. sinister would probably know, the amount of work is probably similar to getting the series 3 3.8 into a fiero.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The big electronic hurdle is the VVT. It would be best to get it working with VVT, but SappySE107 has (I think) a VVT eliminator cam sprocket, or is at least working on one. This would allow the engine to be run with an older (hacked) ECM.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:The big electronic hurdle is the VVT. It would be best to get it working with VVT, but SappySE107 has (I think) a VVT eliminator cam sprocket, or is at least working on one. This would allow the engine to be run with an older (hacked) ECM.
i don't see how the vvt is a hurdle if you are using the stock ecm..
the hurdle with the stock ecm is eliminating everything you'r not using, right?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The big electronic hurdle is coming up with an ECM that can be removed from the donor car and still function correctly to control the VVT (and the DOD).
fieronews

Post by fieronews »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I have done 3 and the Punisher has done 5.

More info on these swaps please and photos?
Fiero Thomas
86 Fiero GT 85 Fiero GT
88 Formula T-Top
www.fieronews.net
whipped

Post by whipped »

With enough money you can do anything. Are you willing to spend $3000 on an ECM? If so, then it's a piece of cake!! The rest is just mechanics. A lego set made of metal.
The Dark Side of Will wrote:The big electronic hurdle is coming up with an ECM that can be removed from the donor car and still function correctly to control the VVT (and the DOD).
GM, you secretive piece of corporate shiite!
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

the first 50% of the swap is getting your parents to buy you the parts.
whipped

Post by whipped »

and/or sugar momma. I hear britney spears is single.
fieronews

Post by fieronews »

still waiting on the supossed 5 comlpeted wasp details shawn. You ask for this all the time in other postes now how about your turn. I am intrested
whipped

Post by whipped »

fieronews wrote:still waiting on the supossed 5 comlpeted wasp details shawn. You ask for this all the time in other postes now how about your turn. I am intrested
It was a jab. Can't have people asking if yyy fits every two weeks, when God knows they don't have the money to do it.

http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4786

As you can see, there's a hole in the 3900 info. You're welcome to be the first. I would bet dollars to donuts that nobody in this thread will ever do a 3.9 swap. I don't think this should even be in tech.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The only real difference between a 3900 swap and ANY other V6/60 swap is the VVT electronics. AFAIK, most of the mount bosses are still available, so mounting it won't be hard. It still has the same bellhousing & crank flange pattern, so it bolts up to the same transmissions & flywheels. The coolant & fuel connections are probably somewhat different, but they're just plumbing.

Realy, this swap ought to be a no-brainer... However, I'm not going to foreseeably do one because I'm disgusted with GM's treatment of this engine family. When they can get 405 HP from a 5.7 V8, but don't get 275 HP from a 3.9 V6 that's supposed to be a high performance engine, things are AFU.

I'm also not very enamored of the fact that the 3.9 and new 3.5 bores are not centered over the crank mains anymore. That strikes me as kluged. Why didn't they raise the cam instead?

I'm much more interested in the new global DOHC V6 than in the new pushrod V6's. The diret injected 3.6 with 300 HP that's coming out in the new CTS looks like a really sweet engine.

If this thread isn't substantially more technical by tomorrow night, it will be moved.
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

thanks will that was some of the info i was looking for :thumbleft:
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:The only real difference between a 3900 swap and ANY other V6/60 swap is the VVT electronics. AFAIK, most of the mount bosses are still available, so mounting it won't be hard. It still has the same bellhousing & crank flange pattern, so it bolts up to the same transmissions & flywheels. The coolant & fuel connections are probably somewhat different, but they're just plumbing.

Realy, this swap ought to be a no-brainer... However, I'm not going to foreseeably do one because I'm disgusted with GM's treatment of this engine family. When they can get 405 HP from a 5.7 V8, but don't get 275 HP from a 3.9 V6 that's supposed to be a high performance engine, things are AFU.

I'm also not very enamored of the fact that the 3.9 and new 3.5 bores are not centered over the crank mains anymore. That strikes me as kluged. Why didn't they raise the cam instead?

I'm much more interested in the new global DOHC V6 than in the new pushrod V6's. The diret injected 3.6 with 300 HP that's coming out in the new CTS looks like a really sweet engine.

If this thread isn't substantially more technical by tomorrow night, it will be moved.
Why would someone go to that trouble for 245HP when a simple 3.8SC II would net more than that, plus more torque and wayyyyyyyyyy more potential? I realize this is what people are asking already, so it's more rhetorical than anything.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

because turbocharging a motor with VVT has much more potential than a 3.8SC
whipped

Post by whipped »

p8ntman442 wrote:because turbocharging a motor with VVT has much more potential than a 3.8SC
okay but first you need to swap the 3.9 VVT in first. Which is impossible for those on a fiero budget. :la:
BC2002SS

Post by BC2002SS »

nothing is imposable for those that don't have to do it !!
2002 Camaro SS
1986 Fiero GT 3800SC 4T65E-HD
slp 1.8 rockers, slp headers, northstar throttle body, Z06 MAF,3.3" pulley,160 drilled stat,
12" Corvette brakes
1.81 60' 13.004 @102
new best 1.939 60' 12.909 @ 104.50