2.8 7730 ECU Conversion

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Jinxmutt

2.8 7730 ECU Conversion

Post by Jinxmutt »

I'm starting this on my sisters car. I read through the post on .NL but I figure a post here will be more direct to the necessary tech info, and not so many side tracks.

I hacked up an old 86 V6 computer and pulled the connector off of it. I then used the pig tails from the 7730 and soldiered them together from Ryan's PDF file. I have to install the knock sensor, move the aldl pin, and work on the egr wiring as well as the rest of the 'in-car' stuff, but I'm workin towards that.

I'm using the computer from a 1992 V6 camaro, and the 88 4cyl ecm tray.

The wiring conversion pdf file is located here:
http://www.gmtuners.com/files/Fiero2.8_to_7730.pdf

Here is where I am so far.

Now if for some reason I need to, I can plug her old 6869 computer back in.

Terminal B & C of the EGR need the knock sensor and fan switch connected respectively. I'm a little unclear on this but I'm sure it'll make sense once I remove the old EGR components.

My solution for the EGR mouting is rather simple. I took the 1/4" plate steel that I had left over from my dogbone. I made two halves. One side has the U dremeled out of it, and the other just the smaller hole. When these two plates are put together, the solid section of the 'backing' plate seals off the U channel. I'll get some more pics of it completed, but I'm sure it makes sense if you use your imagination a bit. Here is a pic that was posted on NL, you can see how it can be made in two. It will be a bit thicker, which will also make drilling the diagonal hole easier.
http://Old Europe.hostkansas.com/pffimages2/eg ... edium).jpg
I'm sure a few of my unanswered questions have been answered in that post, but like i said, its 6 pages long, and i'm hopin this one will be more to the point of the pure how-to tech stuff.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

cool - I plan on doing this next winter. I like your adapter harness - was kinda what I was thinking too. is it gonna fit under the center console OK?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

so you pulled out the female connector from the stock fiero computer? Is that what I am looking at? And then of course its mated to the 7730 ecm connectors.

Using the factory fiero harness with the addition of several pinouts added correct for the dis and maybe knock?
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Shaun, thats what I did. A torch made quick work of it. The old 7170 was junky anyways.. :)

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Damn thats a kickass way of doing it. I never thought about that. Way cool. and very easy to swap back to stock computer if need be.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

We need results John ... common common :director:

How did she run after the computer?

Great work btw :thumbleft:
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I don't know how it runs yet because its not done. Been too busy with other projects, i'm spreading myself thin here...

I don't have the final pics off the cam yet, but here is my EGR adapter. It turns out that it can either be welded together, or will work just fine with a thin layer of RTV between the sandwich. I hope to have the finished pics uploaded by the end of the week. This is no where near as nice as the aluminum piece that Ryan has designed, but for a couple hours on an afternoon and some basic tools, anyone can make them for next to nothing. I'll probably weld this one, but the RTV might actually even be better.

My parts:

Rough design

Fitting digital EGR

Here you can see where I will run a bolt/nut combo through the plates

Rough drawings

And finally a very rough mock up of the parts

More to come later this week. I'll have some pics of the 'ported' 1/4" plates and pics showing how each section matches up. You can see in the last pic that there are actually 4 spots that hold the sandwich together, the two factory studs and then two bolts for the digital EGR. I'm going to be using shorter bolts, those are just there for mock up. Ryan tapped the 1/2" plate for the bolts, but there is plenty of room for nuts and its easier for me to just run them through. Plus, the digital EGR can be bolted together first, layed on the crossover pipe, then the two nuts secured. I don't think it would be an issue to get to the nuts, but if it ever was, the hole plate assy can come off as a whole.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Hey Ryan, I need some info on getting a chip. The car is basically a stock 2.8 with sprint headers. I can send the blue memcal out, but I'd be interested in having it tuned on a 256/512 chip so I can tweak it later if need be. Do you have the pieces I would need to do that, or do I have to order it from moates and mail you all the stuff?