I got me a new ride

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

I got me a new ride

Post by z.MacK »

So I was set on getting a newer stick shift mustang like 02-04. I went out and test drove a few. Drove the V6 and the V8.
Honestly, they all drove like shit and had random rattles. I am kind of disgusted how shitty ford made these cars.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

So what did you get?
z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

Post by z.MacK »

I ended up getting a `03 Solara.

Never thought Id be driving a Toyota...
But this things vvt-i with the 5 speed stick shift is damn quick. It is way faster then the V6 mustangs I test drove, seems close the the v8s.

It is built better, drives better, looks better,has no fake vents,.

Oh yeah, and the engine is so damn smooth its really easy to bounce off the rev limiter by accident.
Boscolingus

Re: I got me a new ride

Post by Boscolingus »

z.MacK wrote:So I was set on getting a newer stick shift mustang like 02-04. I went out and test drove a few. Drove the V6 and the V8.
Honestly, they all drove like shit and had random rattles. I am kind of disgusted how shitty ford made these cars.
It depends, what are you comparing the Mustangs to?
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I like the mustangs. Bulletproof engine and transmission plus tons of go fast goodies out there for them.

If you want a fast V8 RWD car, the mustang is good. Hard to believe you settled for a FWD sedan. Cars are not similar at all.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

crzyone wrote:I like the mustangs. Bulletproof engine and transmission plus tons of go fast goodies out there for them.

If you want a fast V8 RWD car, the mustang is good. Hard to believe you settled for a FWD sedan. Cars are not similar at all.
bulletproof. lol. you should meet the mustang guys at the local dragstrip - the big joke is how many weeks till they will get to run the stang again once they break the next part.

one guy has spent about 10K just in repairs for things that got broken on his mach1 - engine threw a belt cog through the timing cover, tranny took a dump, dropped the drive shaft, and much much more. all for the struggle to get into the 11's NA.
MiZer
and all I got was this lousy title

Post by MiZer »

Kohburn wrote:
one guy has spent about 10K just in repairs for things that got broken on his mach1 - engine threw a belt cog through the timing cover, tranny took a dump, dropped the drive shaft, and much much more. all for the struggle to get into the 11's NA.
sounds like alot of the fiero guys. except they are trying to break into the 13's... with a v8archie kit.. :la:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Do V8 Mustangs still use a T5?

The 2V SOHC heads for the 4.6 aren't worth the powder & shot to blow them to hell from what I understand.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

z.MacK wrote:I ended up getting a `03 Solara.
Pic or Ban
z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

Post by z.MacK »

DiggityBiggity wrote:
z.MacK wrote:I ended up getting a `03 Solara.
Pic or Ban

Thats crappy cellphone snap of it next to one of my employees eclipse.

Im honestly glad I got the Toyota over the mustang. It drives so much better then they did, shifting through the gears is much smoother. I kind of dislike the front wheel drive thing, but its my daily driver thats not an issue.

crzyone wrote:Hard to believe you settled for a FWD sedan. Cars are not similar at all.
Its a a 2 door. Basically a 2 door camry with all the options.
product1620

Post by product1620 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Do V8 Mustangs still use a T5?

The 2V SOHC heads for the 4.6 aren't worth the powder & shot to blow them to hell from what I understand.
No they switched to the t45 for the 96 to mid 01, then they started using the tr3650 in the late 01 to 04 cars.
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
product1620

Re: I got me a new ride

Post by product1620 »

z.MacK wrote:So I was set on getting a newer stick shift mustang like 02-04. I went out and test drove a few. Drove the V6 and the V8.
race for pinks? :la:
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

Post by z.MacK »

I'll pass on racing you for pinks, but Ill do it anytime for some fun. :thumbleft:
My car will walk a v6 stang, v8 is in a different class.

The biggest thing I didn't like about the stang was the steering feedback. I felt like I was driving a mini crown vic.
Two of the three I test drove (02-03) had a rattle in the dash.

I did like a few things, you could feel the engine rumble through the shifter allot more then my Toyota, and the clutch gave more feedback. But those are both things Id rather not have in a car I drive every day. Oh yeah, and the one I test drove with a sunroof, the headliner flapped around like a old ghetto caddie :scratch: ...

Overall they just feel very unrefined. I'd like to have one as a second car, maybe a weekend driver.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

z.MacK wrote: The biggest thing I didn't like about the stang was the steering feedback. I felt like I was driving a mini crown vic.
I test drove a Mustang in '02, I felt the same exact way.