Intake manifold porting questions

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Chris-Nelson

Intake manifold porting questions

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Ok, I have the dual TB enterprise intake manifold from Shaun, and it uses the factory middle manifold that he ported out, very nice job.

I don't know if I can afford to have the lower manifold ported before I put the enterprise on my car, is it going to be a waste of time installing it without porting the lower manifold?

How much do they cost to port, and Shaun would you be interested in doing mine? :scratch:

I'd like to get it on the car asap, but I'd hate to pull it all off again to get the lower manifold done in the near future.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

at least gasket match the surface between the intake manifold & the heads. there is a major hunk of alum that needs to be ground out. then, if you can - the injector port humps.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I don't really do that sort of stuff anymore. I could, but I'd rather not. I would try to find someone who has one already done by darrel and see if you can buy that then just do a simple swap to keep down time to a minimum

My suggestion though is if you can't find one is to at least gasket match the lower intake to the middle intake. That way there is at least a smooth transition from the middle intake into the lower.
Dirty Sanchez

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

You also need to have to heads ported and polished to get the biggest advantage of your setup. While you are having that done, you might as well get full roller rockers and the SI stainless steel valves to make your own set of performance heads.
I treat others as they treat me
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

I already have the Falconer ported heads with Titanium valves... What should I use to remove material from the intake manifold if I just want to try myself? I do have an extra manifold laying around.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

if you have a 1/4 inch die grinder and some air, you can gut that lower intake pretty quick, and then finish it off with some sanding rolls.

YOu can get aluminum cutting bits from any fastenel shop and they will have a 1/4 inch shank for the die grinder. That will remove big chunks and make things go quick.

The sanding rolls are to smooth and finish it off. you can get those at a local performance shop probably, or through a place like summit or Jegs for around $35.

Now that I think about it you might as well get this stuff to port out the lower. You don't want to ruin flow especially with that intake and the heads that can flow a good amount of air. It makes no sense to put a big restriction in between the 2 peices.
coinage

Post by coinage »

darrell actually doesnt port the bottom side (injector spots) he machines those with, im assuming, a mill. the top part is ported the regular way i believe.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Well then, maybe I'll just go pick up a couple bits and give it a shot... Thanks for the input.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

yea you should be able to do it for under $100 if you buy the cutting bits and sanding rolls. Its just time then if you have enough free time that is.

I would def charge more then $100 if I were to do it. If that helps you decide.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

also - just a tip: put some oil on the bits to keep them from clogging when grinding aluminum.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

A while back, I would have said to do an incremental approach and get some sort of metric of how much each piece helped, but nowadays, after seeing how much of a package a built engine really is, just go for it all right off the bat and don't bother with intermediate steps.