DOHC "timing" chain (chain, not belt) removal

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

slow'n'steady

DOHC "timing" chain (chain, not belt) removal

Post by slow'n'steady »

I sold my spare DOHC a while back and have been shipping it chunks at a time to the buyer now i am down to just the block and crank. I got it all packaged up and took to UPS but it weighs 185# and they can only do up to 150#. I need to seperate the crank and block and ship them seperately however i can not get the timing chain deal off... How do i go about that? I tried to find a "key" or "master" link but i couldnt find a link that looked like it would pop out or off or whatever...

Any Ideas?
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

If its like other 60 degree v6's you have to remove the sprockets to get the chain off. The crank sprocket should come off easily with a pulley puller. the chain should have enough slack to come with it.

OR, cut the chain, as I would hope nobody would put a motor together with a used timing chain.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Can't get the sprocket off the intermediate shaft?
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

You'll either have to:
1.) cut the chain
2.) pull the intermediate shaft out through the bellhousing side cover (oil pump drive/distributor block off needs to come out, obviously)
3.) find some sorta tool that'll get behind the crank sprocket to pull it. There's barely any room, though. The intermediate shaft sprocket should pop off easy once you get the bolt out. Don't wreck the bolt, use a good 6 point socket. The only place to get a replacement is the junkyard as far as I know.

I usually go with option 2. I'd advise not to fuck up the int shaft bearings if you can help it, but the old trimetal ones corrode to shit, so I'd recommend replacement anyways.
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Re: DOHC "timing" chain (chain, not belt) removal

Post by Mach10 »

slow'n'steady wrote: Any Ideas?
The gear on the "oil pump drive shaft" or "balance shaft" or "cam that isn't a cam" is pressed on.

With the chain ON, there's not enough room to get the fingers of a normal gear puller behind it. You can either cut the chain off (bolt cutter works), or you can mofidy a gear puller (grind the fingers down) until you can slip them behind the gear and chain.

OR just buy the GM approved tool :salute:

Me, I modified a normal gear puller. It's now useless for anything else, since the fingers are now too thin for anything pressed on tighter than that gear.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

I took mine to the GM dealer and had one of them do it. They didn't charge me anything. They didn't know how to do it either. Good thing they had that book and the proper tools.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: DOHC "timing" chain (chain, not belt) removal

Post by Series8217 »

Mach10 wrote: You can either cut the chain off (bolt cutter works)
I use this method. A new chain from GM is only like $30.

Though if you have the motor disassembled to the point where the oil pump drive gear can be removed, you can pull the intermediate shaft out the back and its chain sprocket will drop free for easy chain removal.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Or you could pop the intermediate shaft out the back without removing the oil pump drive gear. I've been that route..
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I don't see how you could do that without removing the dizzy plug (oil pump drive gear). You don't have to remove the gear FROM the shaft, just pull out the dizzy plug.