60* V6 Valve Spring Height

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Chris-Nelson

60* V6 Valve Spring Height

Post by Chris-Nelson »

I bought a set of heads, valves and springs from Will from his Falconer collection of parts and I'm getting things organized to finally assemble them. I found that the springs measured 170# at an installed height of 1.560". I was told by several people that it should be 1.70" so I went back and rechecked the springs.

At 1.70" installed height, the springs measured 155#.

I got my spring height info from the AERA Engine Specs software at the shop and it says that the stock installed height for the 2.8L Fiero engine is 1.560" (39.624MM).

It also states that the installed height for the 3.4L Camaro v6 is 1.570" (39.878MM).

So, my question is what is the proper installed height? Where did the 1.70" installed height figure come from?

Even if it is 1.7" I still can not use the springs because 155# at 1.7" is still to much for the 3.4L PR engine.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

that is up to the springs.
if they dont bind at the lifts you are applying - then that is it.
if the springs are made with something which lets them have thinner coils - then they can in fact have a lower install height.

if you are using a Crane 272 - with a lift of .480 for the exhaust * 1.52 rocker = 0.7296 valve movement. so, it is possible that 1.570 is right.

but, 170# is mighty mighty tough for the poor crane cam to push around. is this a roller cam? most "strong" springs are at around 110# at 1.710"

check with your cam manufacturer suggestions of spring strength
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The springs he bought are the racing valvesprings that I got with the heads from Falconer. They're good for 7500+ RPM.

The .480 lift rating on the Crane cam INCLUDES the stock rocker ratio.

.7xx valve lift is full race 572 BBC territory.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:The springs he bought are the racing valvesprings that I got with the heads from Falconer. They're good for 7500+ RPM.

The .480 lift rating on the Crane cam INCLUDES the stock rocker ratio.

.7xx valve lift is full race 572 BBC territory.
really? I never thought about if the lift is based on an assumed rocker ratio.